Geneva Motor Show

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
As is the way with aspirational kids, my youngest (doing Automotive Design) came home today to say the uni had failed to get the numbers required for an official trip, and could he and I go to the Geneva Motor Show in March - just like that!

Can anyone advise places to stay (if there's anywhere left), relative to getting to the show, and any other useful tips as we've not been there before.

Developer I have been going near on 10 years to the Salon. Incredible value for money at 16CHF/£12. Best way to do it is in and out in a day. Except for this first time you will need two days :D

87th Geneva International Motor Show

I would fly out on an early flight, (stay in a airport hotel if your not near) and fly back that evening. Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday so you don't catch the ski traffic, definitely not Saturday (ski holiday transfer day). Hotels are a fortune and sometimes unobtainable. But the IBIS below is a 15 minute walk if you want a hotel. Usually it's the last reasonably priced one left.

Cheap hotel GENEVA - Ibis budget Geneve Aeroport

(Saying that I'm getting the train home this year - Leave Geneva central just before 10, arrive in London just before 5. This is the most chilled way getting back).

Access wise it's easy, walk out of Geneva airport customs, turn left, head for train station, keep walking. 10 minutes (total) and your at the Palexpo, the first hall you come too is the aftermarket servicing hall 7 (which in itself is interesting) walk through it to the escalators at the back - that will take you to the main 6(!) halls.

http://www.gims.swiss/media/document/1/plan_des_marques_06_02_17.pdf

Decide before your priorities for visiting - you will only scratch the surface. Forget Ferrari, Lamborghini and any stands oppposite them - it's a bun fight! Eating and drinking it traditional Swiss prices, there is (shock horror) a McDonalds and a Starbucks in the Airport forcourt now (turn left not right out of customs). Personally stuff yourself airside in England and on the plane, then just have drinks as you need them. Check your coat in, shirt and trousers are all you need, small wallet, phone. Zip the rest in your coat, even the passports. Don't bother brochure hunting - it doesn't exist these days.

Your day will go quick, very quick. You will enjoy every minute :cool:

You have to wonder at a Uni conducting an Automotive Design course...unable to get the numbers for the Geneva show...

You might be better just doing it in one day, hotels go crazy and you may to stay far away in say Lausanne, but the show is attached to the airport so a 5 minute walk at most.

You can easyJet it in a day.

S

I'm off again this year and I agree with above a day trip is the best way to go, for me I get flights from Edinburgh early morning and back late night, £70 return. The airport is a 5 minute walk to the front door of the exhibition centre.

It can get very expensive very quick if you start looking at staying anywhere, one year I went in to Geneva itself for a few hours before the flight back and went and got a coffee in starbucks and nearly passed out when I was asked for over a fiver for a small latte.

When I say to people I go for a day trip to Geneva they always thinks it's a bit odd but the value for a very enjoyable day out can't be beaten in my book.

I note there are some deals available via the motorshow website offering a night's stay, breakfast and public transport/admission to the show.

They seem quite reasonable - I just need to decide whether to turn it into a mini Jolly Boy's outing as he's never been abroad before.

However, I don't want to be miles away from the venue.

Thanks for the advice :thumb:.

You have to wonder at a Uni conducting an Automotive Design course...unable to get the numbers for the Geneva show...

There was a plan and then there wasn't a plan - that's all I know :dk:.

Re-arrange these words...organise, brewery, pissup...

Looking at flights I'd suggest the tutors left it too late to get a large number of seats at a decent price - they are students after all, so beer tokens and lads mags come first.

I always go for a day trip, sometimes couple of hours. There are day trips tickets from Heathrow by British Airways on weekends but Saturday is very busy day.

I will be going this year too, just not sure when I have time but would prefer weekday to avoid the crowds.

Ok, it seems that there are few sensibly priced flights departing early enough to make a day trip possible.

Returning a day later decreases the flight cost by 2/3rds and produces more acceptable flight times.

So, any hotel recomendations for something located close to the airport/show? (thanks for the IBIS link Alf).

We're looking at the budget end as it's only a sleepover/breakfast location prior to taking in the show.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help - we're booked for 13th/14th March - my lad is well pleased :thumb:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom