Gentlemen (and ladies), please place your bets....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palmball

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi R8 V10+ & BMW M5
...on how long my newest purchase will last :crazy:

This is getting ridiculous now but I've now just set a new record for myself because my XFR, a car which I've rated particularly highly, is moving-on on Monday. It's replacement arrives at the end of this month so allow me to explain my last two weeks since having winning an XKR for the weekend a few weeks ago! And also why, this time, I'm calling time on my bi-monthly car buying patterns and (subject to not dying, losing my job or my licence) keeping this until well into 2013. Yeah, yeah :rolleyes:.....

So, going back a few weeks, I went to my local Jag dealer for an XF owners event and rather nee it was too. I was handed a raffe ticket at the start of the evening and my number, yellow number 19 (I remember it clearly) was called out. The prize wasn't a free keyring or bottle of plonk but a brand new 2012MY XKR for the weekend!

I actually approached that weekend with little or no expectation of the XKR; indeed, my previous experience of one a few years ago was underwhelming and I'd certainly not have previously chosen an XKR over my XFR based on that first experience. I wasn't really that fussed about it to be honest and even turned up late to pick it up :doh: But....it became very clear within a few miles that either I'd got it wrong on my first XKR acquaintance or Jaguar had hugely improved the 2012 MY - either way, for a car that I had so little expectation of, it turned out to be the very best car I've driven. A bold statement given what I've had and there will be disbelievers but it really is a seriously competent piece of kit.

Really :eek:....I here you ask?

Well, yes....I can't stress just how good the new XKR is and it's absolutely everything I am looking for, even though I wasn't looking for it. :rolleyes: It's bit like your ideal girl....you tend to find her when you're least looking and with this car, I wasn't expecting to find it just 5 weeks after buying my XFR!

Why so good? :dk:

It looks fabulous...the new XKR-S front-end styling looks so much better than the previous model and, with the wide 'wheels-pushed-right-out' stance, it's just gorgeous. Styling wise, I'd dare say it's easier on the eye than the Maserati (which although flashier, could be challenging from some angles)...in contrast, theres not a bad angle on the XKR but I appreciate that this is very subjective.

It sounds like an AMG! I always liked the sound of the AMG best (yep, better than the Maserati!) and this has a similar gurgling-God-like sound. Overlaid by the supercharger :D

It's proper fast - I know the official stats for it are similar to the XFR but the forces you feel as you accelerate are in the territory of the 911 Turbo. Not quite as crazy as that car but, once I've fitted my smaller supercharger pulley (already bought for the XFR but not fitted once I started looking elsewhere :rolleyes:), I'm sure there'd be nothing in it (the pulley mechanically raises the power to about 560bhp!)

It does all this with proper refinement - it's probably too refined to be deemed a 'proper' sports car but it's just the right compromise for a daily driver. It's maybe not as quiet as the XFR but what noises you do get (exhaust mainly) are worth it.

It's also a ridiculously well-built car (but then so is the XFR) with a particularly solid structure (no flexing or creaking over lumps and bumps) and not a squeak or rattle to be heard.

Finally....how it 'feels'. It has what I now appreciate as a great Jag quality of a compliant and absorbent ride with flat, direct and playful handling. It handles most similarly to the M3 than anything else I've had yet rides like my XFR....what more could I ask for?

So, having decided that this car was 'the one' for me, I was still faced with the crazy option of getting rid of a car I've had for 5 weeks. This was not going to be cheap so would it be worth it?

Well, consider this for a minute.....for every other car I've had previously, I'd have high expectations to begin with and those expectations would often make it easier to overlook the less impressive areas of a particular car as I'd try and justify another change (the Maserati was a great example of this). In the XKR, I had no expectations to begin with so it's all the more splendid that it's ended up impressing me so much....there's nothing, absolutely nothing that I disliked about it during my 500 mile weekend drive of it.

However, having just bought my XFR at retail price it was never going to be pretty getting rid of it so quickly and I was also faced with the fact that the XKR is not a cheap car. But, the good news is that Jag dealers appear to be 'dealers' and whilst this is reflected in the dubious residuals, it means that you do get a hell of a deal up-front.

I've had my local dealer work on some figures for me over the last couple of weeks and in the meantime, I thought I'd give a 2011 model a go last weekend as theres a few of these with little more than delivery miles for sale at £20-22k less than list price (although there were few deals to be done at these prices).

The main difference I could see was the seats - this is the one thing that put me off previously as the standard seats in the XKR are utter cr@p but I wondered how bad they could be if the rest of the car remained so good (the 2012MY I drove had £3k's worth of sports seat option which has only been available in the last month or two). Well, the seats didn't end up being a deal-breaker but the rest of the car was :( Strangely, even a brand-new 2011 MY version seemed a much inferior car in that it didn't sound as good, feel as good, look as good and, it still had the rubbish seats. It sure wasn't a car that I'd have swapped my XFR for and I found this particularly odd given Jag have not claimed any mechanical changes from one model year to the next. In reality, the 2012MY facelift is definitely more than skin deep because the new model 'feels' like a totally different and better engineered car.

This meant if I wanted a car that was like the 2012MY version I drove, I'd have to buy a brand new one and this wasn't a path I really wanted to go down given the residual performance of the car.....

...until the dealer came back with the final figures yesterday.

We've been going back a forth almost daily and in that time they used a tactic I've not seen before. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with my local dealer, Sturgess in Leicester, being an independent company who appear to have close links with the factory but, the sales director got his Jaguar regional manager to come to the dealer and discuss support over and above their max discount for my particular deal.

I've never seen this before but the end deal was pretty special in that I got 14% discount from the dealer and Jaguar agreed to put in a further £4,000 discount. This is on top of a 5.9% APR subsidies finance rate so it's actually cost me very little more to buy a brand new 2012MY car than a 1 year old one at around £50k.

This was enough to convince me that the 2012MY deal was an incredible deal and now all I need to do now is just choose the car....the original deal is for a metallic red one with black leather and red stitching and a bit of kit (DAB, rear camera).

But, for just a 'bit' more (as the discount % is even higher on this car) they have a metallic black one with red/black two-tone leather (much more 'me'), almost every option including, the winner for me, a 'dynamic' pack which is effectively the XKR-S suspension set-up and speed limit removal. This includes some trick bits like forged wheels, 10mm lower suspension, uprated dampers, strengthened suspension uprights and forged steering components. You know what I'm like with suspension...this is kind of under-arch trickery has me salivating!

The dealer have even lent me their demo XKR again this weekend for me to have another play with which I thought particularly nice - I'll take some pics and bang them up at some point. I've just got to decide on which car I finally decide to go for on Monday.....choices, choices :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The XKR is your car of the moment. But for sure, OEMs will release new cars in the future and they'll seem better to you than the perfect XKR and you'll chop it in for one of those.

My prediction at least :)

Happy motoring.

ps. first snow flake falls and you'll be swearing about the XKR. None were seen in the JLR office car park last year, except the abandoned ones. Maybe a Carrera 4S? :devil:

Last edited:
The XKR is your car of the moment. But for sure, OEMs will release new cars in the future and they'll seem better to you than the perfect XKR and you'll chop it in for one of those.

Happy motoring.

ps. first snow flake falls and you'll be swearing about the XKR. None were seen in the JLR office car park last year, except the abandoned ones. Maybe a Carrera 4S? :devil:

Out of All of Andys car, the 911 turbo, the M3 and the C63's were my favourites.

As much as I like the Maserati and XKR I just wonder if they are as well made as a German car.

As much as I like the Maserati and XKR I just wonder if they are as well made as a German car.

When you keep a new car as short a time as he does, is build quality such an issue?

Happy motoring.

Ah yee have little faith.

And I fully understand why.....but, this really is a case of me not expecting anything of the car and it absolutely blowing me away.

To be honest, I don't normally buy brand new (my last C63 AMG excepted) so selling it early just isn't a viable financial option so, if I commit to it, I've committed to it! :crazy:

It's all very well swapping and changing used cars that have done a large chunk of their depreciating but not when a new car is involved (I was VERY lucky on my C63 so that is an exception in both the fact I bought new and I didn't lose silly amounts on it due to the silly deals Merc were doing at the time).

The 911 is a great shout and I love the shape of the new one (it's out in December). But I'm afraid that car is well out of my league....a nicely spec'd Carrera 4S is into 6 figures now! Of course, the nicely spec'd XKR is only about 10% behind that but after nearly a 20% discount on the Jag, it puts both cars in very different price points.

Out of All of Andys car, the 911 turbo, the M3 and the C63's were my favourites.

Steve....my XFR is the best built car I've had. It feels properly solid like the structure is super-stiff and there's absolutely no rattles or creaks. The 911 was actually one of the least reliable cars I've had and rattled the most of any of them (the only one I've had that actually broke down and needed recovering!). What the 911 did have was a feeling of solidity in how it drove due to an incredibly stiff structure....it's a shame the bits bolted to it weren't as robustly engineered!

The C63 was the best built pre the Jag but even that had the odd noise that I just don't get in the XFR.

Now the XKR....thats as equally tight inside as the XFR and yet it aluminium bonded construction appears as structurally stiff as the 911....it just rides with such solidity you have to experience it to believe it. I really don't know what they changed on the latest ones because the 2011 XKR I drove was not like this (despite also being brand new) - Jag have changed the design quite considerably in line with the new XKR-S and there must be some substantial under the sin changes too because the 2011 vs 2012 feels so, so different.

Sounds like you got another smashing deal.

I love the XKR. You really feel like you're driving it.

It's how I expect a BMW Z8 to feel (never driven one of those though).

As good as the jaguar xkr is and they have improved the styling new front lights , bold led strips , larger front grille .I can't help but thinking for that type money u could get new delivery miles registerd cls amg 63 .few names ignite the passions of a performance enthusiast like that of amg .through a long line of memorable racing successes has won countless fans and earned a reputation for the very best in high performance motoring .it's a reputation the current amg models can only enhance .with their breathtaking performance and excellent road manners they make every journey an occasion to savour.

dhard, stop acting like a scrotum.

One minute you berate anything with an AMG badge, the next you idolise it.

We haven't seen any pictures of your car yet ?

dhard...

The OP has already had a few 63 AMG's and modied them over and above what AMG do...

I like people like him, as I like seeing the sort of cars he trys or buys.

If you can keep swapping them as you do then go fo it. I like the Jags (I think you considered an Aston at one point? would you again?)

Post the pics when you can.

PS, I know I don't even know you but the xfr you currently have (i thought you had a mazzer) wouldn't have though you would choose that.

dhard, stop acting like a scrotum.

One minute you berate anything with an AMG badge, the next you idolise it.

We haven't seen any pictures of your car yet ?

I be converted .You know where you are with amg big noisy and brilliant 6.2-litre v8 up front slighty overly firm springs underneath and a lot of burning rubber at the back . With it's new seven -speed mct auto box / and Amg cls looks the dog b****ks .and if your planning to keep the car for a few years and it's in budget it a non-brainer

I can't keep up.

Nor can I! :wallbash:

Sounds like you got another smashing deal.

I love the XKR. You really feel like you're driving it.

It's how I expect a BMW Z8 to feel (never driven one of those though).

Yes, deal was good enough for me to think 'ah heck, it's only a couple of hundred a month more than my budget'! :crazy: I should be locked up!

dhard...

The OP has already had a few 63 AMG's and modied them over and above what AMG do...

I like people like him, as I like seeing the sort of cars he trys or buys.

If you can keep swapping them as you do then go fo it. I like the Jags (I think you considered an Aston at one point? would you again?)

Post the pics when you can.

PS, I know I don't even know you but the xfr you currently have (i thought you had a mazzer) wouldn't have though you would choose that.

The Aston is a better brand but nowhere near the car the Jag is....so no, probably not. It's not really a suitable daily driver whereas the Jag should be able to cope with daily use and mileage with no problems.

I did have a Maser, then had an M3 for a few weeks, then the XFR for the last 5 weeks and now nothing for the next two until I get the XKR! The XFR was actually one of the more impressive cars I've had...an oddball choice for me yes, but I rate it highly (highly enough to stay with the brand!)

dhard - thanks for the advice on what car to buy, I'll bear it in mind but am pretty confident I can make my own decision :thumb:

Gosh, and I thought I was a loon!

I was driven in a brand new XKR-S recently and it was quite glorious. Good for you. I think the only thing that the owner of that car finds irritating is the lack of boot space.

I love the look of the XFR, inside and out, although I think you're the first person I've come across that says it's well-built?

I've driven my friends diesel XF and I thought it felt a lot smaller than it was.

You'll have to post some pictures of the XKR, it sounds good.

I always wounder with jaguar are paying alot money for a pretty car (which xkr is prob one nices car on the road today ) but under the bonnet remains unchanged same engine( Peugeot) same chassis ect .were as the on thing u can't say about amg/mercedes is they don't keep up and spend a fortune on is the latest technolody ever thing is the best .like the new amg cls 63 comes with the new v8 5.5-litre biturbo engine and u know with amg/mercedes synonymous with tchnical innovation elegant style luxurious comfort .and most import in any performance car safety .

^ Is he saying something positive about AMG (if you read slowly and carefully)?

^ Is he saying something positive about AMG (if you read slowly and carefully)?

No, he's actually putting the boot into the new Jaguar (by calling it a Peugeot) whilst trying to appease the AMG owners.

Hi

Have you driven more than one of the new Jaguar XKR's, as it seams such a marked improvement over the 2011 model without publicised changes, could it be an exception?

The other reason I say this, is because the 911 is normally of legendary build and reliability, but yours was very much an exception to that rule?

Really looking forward to seeing pictures of your new car?

Tan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom