Genuine AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johig

Car
S600 V12 Biturbo
I've just bought an 2003 S600. Its wonderfull. It has AMG wheels (with "AMG" stamped on them) but it also has an "AMG" sticker on the boot lid. I am pretty sure it isn't an AMG version. There's no AMG stamp on the steering wheel or on the dash and the speedo, rev counter etc dials are all black, no silver background. It doesn't say AMG anywhere inside the car. I suspect one of the two previous owners got an AMG sticker off ebay and stuck it on. Do folk agree this is not an AMG version.

I'm inclined to remove the unearned sticker (hair drier and dental floss). I'm inclined to under rather than over state anyway, just a personal view I know, and I certainly don't want a claim on the boot that isn't justified. It wouldn't be usual to claim AMG by badge on the boot just for the wheel upgrade, would it.

Apoligies if this demonstrates how little I know.

Yours isn't an AMG.

I'd take the badge off.

Love your engine though!

I doubt it is an AMG. Just a badge as you said.

Wouldn't an AMG have a signature plate on the engine?

Wouldn't an AMG have a signature plate on the engine?

Hi,
Depends on year of manufacture on whether the engine has a signature on it.
But the AMG badge could of been there from new as my friends CLK320 Soft top it was, why I don,t know, possibly because of the AMG rims that were fitted.

the biturbo is a lovely engine, s600 is not an AMG, you can leave the badge on there if you want , your choice, but defo put on afterwards!

Fabulous car but not an AMG.

Who cares? You've got a twin turbo V12 and air suspension. (and great rims).

Stick in Sport 2, mash the loud pedal and slow the earth's rotation.

Well done!

I have been looking around for one but not yet bought - which one did you end up getting?

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll take the badge off. I rather like the "wolf in sheep's clothing" approach to this car and the wolf in sheep's clothing defeats the object by having "I am a wolf" stamped on his backside.

It truely is a fantastic car, a 2003 with every gadget imaginable and they all work. Done 78,000 so just about run in. £87,000 new (according to Glass's) and £12,800 10 days ago. 7 years to lose 75,000!!!! Glad I'm the third owner not the first.

The plan is to use it for a year and then cosset for the rest of its life and use for fun in good weather with something smaller and more economical for the commute.

was that the one from sarcason? Looked like a nice example.

Yes, that was the one.

Not a problem leaving the AMG badge on, your choice really - it's not as the car is badged up as a S55 AMG.

The AMG badge is an option for the person chosing the build specification from the factory, the specification had to include AMG wheels and or styling. Up to you, but wolf on steroids in sheeps clothing closely sums up the S600. Don't garage it, drive it !

AMG cars have an AMG engine, though many cars have AMG elements fitted, such as Wheels, Body Kit, Floor Mats, Suspension. However, the hand built engine is the heart of an AMG car, without that you have an AMG styled car. (Nothing wrong with that I hasten to add)

AMG Engine Signature plates was a later addition that came in to being around 2003 ish. :) (Or you can buy a dodgy one off of Ebay ;))

Anyone want a AMG badge then?????? they call me the Pro in this area lol

Got loads here 55's 63's (Rash)

I was very disappointed with the S600L biturbo that I drove. There was a pesky three seater in front of me that I could not catch. Wierd looking thing - some sort of kit car if I remember (had gullwing doors and TSW Blade type alloys). And the daftest windows I have ever seen - I think it was using doors from a Toyota Sera.

*grin*

I thought that recent genuine AMG cars dropped the '0' from the number. Thus S55AMG, E63AMG, C43 etc etc.

Probably not wholly true but a general indicator.

I thought that recent genuine AMG cars dropped the '0' from the number. Thus S55AMG, E63AMG, C43 etc etc.

Probably not wholly true but a general indicator.

Yup or at least from the C36 era onwards - 32, 36, 43, 55, 60, 63, 65

.....was there also a 70? (special order SL 129?)

Yup or at least from the C36 era onwards - 32, 36, 43, 55, 60, 63, 65

.....was there also a 70? (special order SL 129?)

Certainly seems so! Don't think it's a hard-and-fast rule but a good guideline

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom