Genuine looking 190E 2.6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
2 owners, 122K, SH, owner knows a bit about them.

These are the best 190E for everyday use, not as fast or sure footed as a 16v but fast enough, comfortable, easy & cheap to fix & very well designed, made & screwed together. 27-32 mpg depending. Invisible to plod too.

If I were in the market for one of these I'd hustle up to see it pronto & do a deal off ebay if it's as good as it seems.

Mercedes Benz 190E 2.6 Auto ? VGC, one previous owner and all MOTs | eBay

The 2.6's just dont seem to be shifting nowadays and that seems like a cracker especially with the leather. Potential bargain for someone

I'd be happy with either.

mercedes 190e 2.6 | eBay

Don't really see why this one is attracting so much interest over the other, which IMO is a better car.

Neil...of all people !! It's obvious, second ad. mentions the magic word 'Sportline' at least twice so it must be a better car.

Rare colour and rare last K reg - nice combo- shame about retro fit seats.
2.6 closer in punch to Cosworths than 2.0.Trouble is mpg for 2.6in general will be low 20s

I always found my 2.6 to be similar to my 2.0 on fuel. It was only the 190D that was significantly better.

I always found my 2.6 to be similar to my 2.0 on fuel. It was only the 190D that was significantly better.

I've had 1.8, 2.0, 2.3-16 and 2.6. All of them, apart from the 2.3-16, were virtually identical MPG wise. The 2.3-16 however was the best of the lot. The Cosworth 16v head is such an efficient design.

My 2.3-16v was not better than my 2.6. BUT, it was a dog and had a knackered auto box...

I've had 1.8, 2.0, 2.3-16 and 2.6. All of them, apart from the 2.3-16, were virtually identical MPG wise. The 2.3-16 however was the best of the lot. The Cosworth 16v head is such an efficient design.

Road tests show 2.6 @23mpg overall and 2.0 @ 27mpg overall -so 2.0 is only 17% better ...but has 40% less power
Road test 2.3-16 did 23mpg overall

My 2.6 returned 27-29 tank after tank & I drove it like it was nicked. The 16 valves are practically economy cars.

Road tests show 2.6 @23mpg overall and 2.0 @ 27mpg overall -so 2.0 is only 17% better ...but has 40% less power
Road test 2.3-16 did 23mpg overall

That's all well and good on paper. But in real term day to day running, ie my ownership of said cars, those figures are very wrong and in no way reflect my real experiences from running these cars for ten years.

That's all well and good on paper. But in real term day to day running, ie my ownership of said cars, those figures are very wrong and in no way reflect my real experiences from running these cars for ten years.

To be fair Road test figures try to more accurately reflect day to day running -than on paper Official figures
What Car? ran a 190e auto for 48000miles -27mpg was average.
Motor magazine had a long term 2.3-16v - but i don't know the mpg they got per se - but i don't recall any mpg elation
I'm not saying your figures are wrong btw

Neil...of all people !! It's obvious, second ad. mentions the magic word 'Sportline' at least twice so it must be a better car.

Shame the owner doesn't know what colour his car is. The colour is pearl grey, not anthracite.

2.6s are lovely, creamy power delivery, torquey and very relaxing with a good turn of speed. If you can live with the slightly smaller space they provide everything a W124 3 litre provides with better economy.

16valves are all about top end power delivery, revvy and fun.

Both serve different purposes and provide different enjoyments.

It's closer but it's still a mile away from a 2.5-16.

Shame the owner doesn't know what colour his car is. The colour is pearl grey, not anthracite.

My mate had a 2.6 Sportline .Had a AMG bodykit and wheels - me no convinced
I was when i saw the interior -including individual rear seats:rock:

It's closer but it's still a mile away from a 2.5-16.

I meant (should have said) 2.3-16v.
But the gap between a 2.0 and a 2.6 is far greater :)

mercedes 190e 2.6 | eBay

Don't really see why this one is attracting so much interest over the other, which IMO is a better car.

I think this car is being heavily shill bid. It's just way OTT on the price.

BTW, it doesn't have the cruise control or tilt steering wheel the seller claims it has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom