Genuine MB roof bars - very snug (almost impossible to) fit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk208

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS
Got some "as new" MB roof bars from German ebay for the bargain price of EUR 55 - reputable seller, all paperwork and instructions, original box etc.

I spent 15 mins trying to fit them earlier and they seem to be just a couple of mm too narrow for the width of the car. Having inserted the fixing into one side, you would have to stretch the roofbar slightly to get the fixing on the other side in place.

The trim around the holes for the roofbars is plastic and pretty easily marked so before forcing it I thought I would check whether this is to be expected or whether they should easily just drop into place?

the roof bars may be different length to accommodate the difference in width
of the car at front and rear.

Let us know the result please - may be useful to others.

Thanks - yes, the bars are marked to indicate which one is for the front and which for the rear.

Also it tells you which side is which (although I tried both ways round as I thought there may be a difference between RHD and LHD). It just doesn't seem like it's going to easily/correctly fit :(

Figured it out. There are bolts underneath to allow you to modify the width of the roof bars by a couple of cm.

Now nicely bolted on. However, could somebody please confirm whether they are supposed to sit fully flush with the roof? There is currently a small gap between the fixing and the roof. Hopefully the attached picture will illustrate:

image-1837590876.jpg

Better photo attached below (hopefully!). I should point out that I cleaned the car after the shot was taken - was incredibly sandy/salty, I don't normally keep it like this, honest!:

rack_zps0f396d31.jpg

All I know is on my 124 coupe the roof rack sits down flush against roof.

Are the bolts too long to screw down fully?

I would think that is the correct seating, last thing you wasn't is for the roof bars to move slightly under load and gradually fret a mark on the paintwork, looks to me at the moment the load is being taken by the hidden fixings in the channel just as I would expect.

Is there a part number on the bar itself which will allow you to double check you have the right bars for your car?

You should have cleaned the roof BEFORE fitting the roof rails. Depending on fitment they may be designed not to touch the roof. If the roofbars are genuine MB they are probably (not necessarily) made by THULE or similar , and there is as likely to be a variance in the roof as in the bars.

All I know is on my 124 coupe the roof rack sits down flush against roof.

Are the bolts too long to screw down fully?

There were some washers in the screw assembly, I'll see if these were potentially on the wrong side, that may make a difference.

I would think that is the correct seating, last thing you wasn't is for the roof bars to move slightly under load and gradually fret a mark on the paintwork, looks to me at the moment the load is being taken by the hidden fixings in the channel just as I would expect.

Good point, I guess you would not want it to be sat directly on the roof for that reason.

Is there a part number on the bar itself which will allow you to double check you have the right bars for your car?

Excellent idea- there was a part number on the manual which I checked and was correct but I will cross check with the numbers stamped on the actual parts when I'm back with the vehicle tomorrow. This should provide some reassurance hopefully!

You should have cleaned the roof BEFORE fitting the roof rails. Depending on fitment they may be designed not to touch the roof. If the roofbars are genuine MB they are probably (not necessarily) made by THULE or similar , and there is as likely to be a variance in the roof as in the bars.

I did think about cleaning the roof first, however the only contact point is a sturdy unpainted lump of metal which sits underneath the plastic covering - the whole roof bar assembly does not come into contact with any part of the external metal roof of the car nor the plastic channel covers, so no danger of any paint damage. Agree there may be some variance in the bars - they would flex slightly if a heavy load was in the middle, hence the adjustment screws I guess (although handily these weren't covered in the manual).

The part number on the bars is 0123897 - can't find any reference to this anywhere for any model so no clearer here. There is a Thule stamp on the plastic as well as the MB logo so definitely made by Thule anyway.

The part number for the whole kit (which is on the instruction manual) is B67812107 which is correct for the CLS.

Interestingly the instruction manual refers to my car as an "E-Class Coupe (C219)".

The fitting seems to be very sturdy anyway, thanks Gareth for confirming the gap is similar on yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom