Genuine Mercedes Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 W204 C180K
I received my 20L of oil from Mercedes Newcastle at the fantastic price of £11 per 5L including the 20% discount ebay were running.

Only odd thing is nowhere on the container does it specify the grade i.e. 5W40. Every oil manufacturer in the world lists the SAE grade on the container. It's only labelled part no a0009898301aca5 and the fact that it's approved 229.5 which tells you it could be either 5W30 or 5W40. I finally found out that the part number probably is 5W40 but what extraordinary arrogance on Mercedes part that they deliberately choose to omit that information.

Mine arrived today too, but I bought the service kit rather than 20l of oil. - Since I gave them my VIN I didn't think to check what SAE grade the oil was, just that it was 229.5

I's guess it's probably 5w40 then?

I's guess it's probably 5w40 then?

If it has the same Part# on the label as Post 1 above, yes, its 5w/40

Cut and paste from the ad.

Condition:
New: A brand-new, unused, unopened and undamaged item in original retail packaging (where packaging is ... Read more
Brand: Mercedes-Benz 229.5
Grade: Multigrade Volume: 20 L
Manufacturer Part Number: A0009898301AAA5 Type: Fully Synthetic
Oil Type: Fully Synthetic SAE Viscosity: 5W40

mine arrived today also. 229.51 No SAE on label but thats fine. Great value and service from MB Newcastle.

I have no real doubts about the oil it was just MB's bizzare labelling of it that requires familiarity with a 15 digit part number to know what it is. I suppose in their world Jo public doesn't buy oil.

If it's the same as the stuff I've been using from them for a while, PKW Synthetic (from Petronis I believe), it's 229.51.
My 20 litre container has a vent that will be really useful for waste oil when disposing at the local tip. The 5L gurgle a lot and tend to splash back.

stick a small screwdriver through a 5ltr canister a few times , opposite the pour spout and your gurgles will be no more.

To be fair to MB, 20-litre containers aren't generally standard retail products and trade products often don't have the same detail of information as general retail.

I wouldn't classify it as arrogance.

To be fair to MB, 20-litre containers aren't generally standard retail products and trade products often don't have the same detail of information as general retail.

I wouldn't classify it as arrogance.

The grade isn’t marked on the 5L bottles either

The grade isn’t marked on the 5L bottles either
Just what I was going to say. - However if you Google the part number (in my case: A0009898301) it does come back as grade 5w40.

I suspect that because it's a German product, for German cars, Daimler don't hold much truck with non-EU grades and designations; they gave it type approval, it's also ACA4, that's all you need to know.

Sorry. I've just realised that "ACA4" might be meaningless. - To make sense it probably needs to be "ACEA A4" or similar. :oops:

The appropriate ACEA spec is A3/B4 and that is a requirement any way as part of 229.5. In typical parts fashion there are a large number of variants all with the basic part number A0009898301 but with the last four digits i.e. ACA5 different. I'm confident they are 5w40 but have no idea what the last four digits mean. It's not container size.

It possibly is container size, but not in any kind of decipherable way.

Tip it on its side when pouring it out
Which is (and has been forever) standard practice for pouring oil into an engine from a 5L container. Just like those 1L cartons of long life milk/juice. Screw off the little cap, TURN THE PACK 180 DEGREES...and pour...no glug , no splash. Easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom