Genuine Mercedes Parts: Drastically different Prices in the US vs. Europe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Screwdriver

I recently received a quote from my MB Classic parts supplier for upper control arms for my Stroke 8 (76 240D). They were around ~£900 each!! When I checked Pelican parts, the exact control arm was £150 including Fedex economy postage to the UK (and below the customs charge threshold so exempt).

I'm familiar with genuine MB parts being more expensive than aftermarket but this is the first time I've seen such a huge difference in the same new MB part, sold in a different country. Have you experienced this before?

Genuine parts are always more expensive in Europe compared to USA.
Should be the opposite!

Who stated it's cheap to drive a Merc?

Last edited:
Yes, I have come across this myself. I ordered plugs and coil leads for my previous CLK320 from the US, much cheaper even with shipping costs.
It's a blatant rip-off! How can they be cheaper on the other side of the Atlantic?

I've had the opposite experience with my Classics. Most prices are fairly competitive. Sometimes, its cheaper here after my 15% discount. But this is a whole new level of highway robbery!

I recently received a quote from my MB Classic parts supplier for upper control arms for my Stroke 8 (76 240D). They were around ~£900 each!! When I checked Pelican parts, the exact control arm was £150 including Fedex economy postage to the UK (and below the customs charge threshold so exempt).

I'm familiar with genuine MB parts being more expensive than aftermarket but this is the first time I've seen such a huge difference in the same new MB part, sold in a different country. Have you experienced this before?

Is the arm the same quality? This is the risk. I'm fed up of cheap aftermarket parts that some customers supply to us to fit. They often don't fit well, don't last etc.

Looks like genuine MB to me. Arrived the same week of ordering!

I have yet to purchase a single part made by Febi Bilstein, Meyle, URO etc. on any of my cars. MB OE or OEM only if NLA.

Attachments

• IMG_8449.jpg
    IMG_8449.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 14
The stuff I ordered was all Bosch, which I believe was fitted as original by Mercedes.

I thought Febi Bilstein was also an OEM supplier to MB; does somebody know otherwise?

Reactions: 219
I thought Febi Bilstein was also an OEM supplier to MB; does somebody know otherwise?

They definitely are OE for the engine mounts on my car. Brought the Febi mounts and the still had the Mercedes badge on them half-heartedly rubbed out a bit. They're also OE for the star wheel bolts.

I would assume they're OE for a lot of other parts for many other models too.

Looks like genuine MB to me. Arrived the same week of ordering!

I have yet to purchase a single part made by Febi Bilstein, Meyle, URO etc. on any of my cars. MB OE or OEM only if NLA.

Really? So you would happily pay the extra MB will charge you to buy Bosch spark plugs, with the Bosch part number stamped on them, for the MB logo on them and MB on the box they come in?

It's not that simple. Some parts are rebadged, yes but several parts supplied to MB are superior. Rather than take my word for it, here's a quote from a chap named Marc Vandevelde, who worked at Mercedes parts for 40 years:

"...started in the parts division in 1974 , worked repaired Mercedes from 1974 to 2014 , parts that manufacturers make for Mercedes are much higher quality then what the same manufacturer sells with his own name on it , some rare exceptions excluded , on the other end , lemforder/febi and others are a great way of keeping cars on the road , for less money, but its definitely NOT the same , 100%"

Seen Pillow's post above? Definitely lower quality; that's why they partially scuffed off the MB logo...

I think Marc Vandevelde, well-known authority that he is, is generalising from the particular. Some cheap 'n cheerful pattern parts are undeniably poor quality, but If you really believe that reputable OE manufacturers have separate production lines to make lower-quality aftermarket pattern parts, well, that's your affair; personally, I rather doubt it.

In the case of Pillow's example above, its clear that Febi Bilstein does produce some parts for Mercedes. But that would be to strict Mercedes specification. If a 40 year employee of Mercedes Parts division isn't credible enough, take a look here (6:00 onward). Pierre is a well respected Classic Mercedes restorer.

Historically, Mercedes Benz provides strict specifications to manufacturers (things like the quality and longevity of rubber) in order for them to be able to supply to them and for Mercedes to honor their 2 year parts and labour warranty. Sure, some manufacturers do supply quality aftermarket parts but do you really believe that they would adhere to the same MB guidelines in the aftermarket?

Still, I would buy from ATE, Bilstein (not the same as Febi), FTE, FAG, Monark, Lemforder, Bosch and SKF, but not unless the price difference was significant or before I knew the country of origin. I'd never put a Febi, Meyle or URO part of any of my cars given the suspect quality of their parts. More on why in this video.

If you still believe aftermarket parts are all the same, install them on your vehicle. I with you the very best of luck!

I think it would be far more expensive for a manufacturer to have separate production lines, one for "MB quality" parts and one for "Aftermarket quality", instead of just having a single line churning out MB parts, some number of the production is purchased by MB and the rest gets packaged by the brand.

Now there may be a difference if say MB say the want this particular suspension arm and several manufacturers produce something and MB only approves one for their use. Then you could say that the other suspensions arms aren't up to snuff but I don't believe that if MB choose manufacturer X to produce a particular suspension arm that a manufacturer X branded arm is any different to what they sell to MB. It just doesn't make economical sense.

Very wide generalisation to suggest all aftermarket parts are inferior.

As for a guy that worked for Mercedes.
You would really need someone that worked for the OEM supplier and knew what went on within the production line.

For the quality of Genuine Mercedes parts.
Let's not forget all the genuine crap OM651 parts and the genuine injector fiasco when this engine came out.

Another likely problem is copy parts.
There will be a lot if ebay sellers selling branded parts that are not.
One of the reasons I will only buy through a known supply chain.
Knowing the country of origin stamped on the part means little if you do not know the supply chain.

I've used a lot of Febi parts bought from genuine suppliers.
Never had to replace any yet due to premature failure.
I did have to replace 2 x SKF bearings though that lasted ~5k miles.

I agree on your point on a healthy supply chain and on spurious parts. I had assumed that to be a given because I buy everything from the dealer or reputed German parts suppliers like Niemoller, Werner Karasch etc.

I'm familiar with genuine MB parts being more expensive than aftermarket...

Not always they aren't . It is ALWAYS worth comparing prices . Some items can indeed be very expensive from the dealer , but other , commonly needed things - such as oil filters , air filters , brake pads , wiper rubbers can actually be cheaper than aftermarket options .

I've always found batteries to be same price or cheaper at the dealers than elsewhere although I'm sure others haven't?

Reactions: 219
If you still believe aftermarket parts are all the same...

Er, actually I didn't say that; you did..

Sure, some manufacturers do supply quality aftermarket parts but do you really believe that they would adhere to the same MB guidelines in the aftermarket?

See post #15. Yes, I do.

I don't drive classics/highly-polished old bangers (delete to taste...), so cannot comment on the situation in that market, though I'm aware that originality is highly desired there. Your money, your choice, your pleasure; good luck to you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom