Geography question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldcro

MB Enthusiast
Car
Range Rover Sport 3.0 HSE
Name the most Easterly and Westerly states of the USA.

No prize for the right answer unfortunately, except undying admiration and adoration from fellow members.;)

No prize for the right answer unfortunately, except undying admiration and adoration from fellow members.;)

From were cobber, the geographic centre of the USA or Greenwich? Where is your datum??

Nice question by the way!!

From were cobber, the geographic centre of the USA or Greenwich? Where is your datum??

Exactly - it depends how you define it.

Geographically (as per the title), it's Alaska (Peaked Island) in the west and Maine (Sail Rock) in the east.

Longitudinally, it's Alaska (Amatignak Island) in the west and Alaska (Pochnoi Point) in the east.

Other measures based on population and attachment to the mainland produce different results.

Exactly - it depends how you define it.

Geographically (as per the title), it's Alaska (ATTU Island) in the west and Maine (Sail Rock) in the east.

Longitudinally, it's Alaska (Amatignak Island) in the west and Alaska (Pochnoi Point) in the east.

Other measures based on population and attachment to the mainland produce different results.

^^^^^^^ Attu Island in Alaska??

Check out Sail Rock on the Google. There is a plane flying just north of it - never seen that before!

Last edited:
From Wiki..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_points_of_the_United_States

"Interpretation of easternmost and westernmost

There are three methods for reckoning the eastern and western extremes of the United States.
One method is to use the Prime Meridian as the dividing line between east and west. This meridian running through Greenwich, London, is defined as zero degrees longitude and could be called the least eastern and least western place in the world. The 180th meridian, on the opposite side of the globe, is therefore the easternmost and westernmost place in the world.
Another method is to use the International Date Line as the easternmost–westernmost extreme. On the equinox, the easternmost place would be where the day first begins, and the westernmost is where the day last ends.
Still another method is to first determine the geographic center of the country and from there measure the shortest distance to every other point. All U.S. territory is spread across less than 180° of longitude, so from any spot in the U.S. it is more direct to reach Point Udall, U.S. Virgin Islands, by traveling east than by traveling west. Likewise, there is not a single point in U.S. territory from which heading east is a shorter route to Point Udall, Guam, than heading west would be, even accounting for circumpolar routes. The two Udalls for whom the two Points are named were brothers, Mo Udall in Guam and Stewart Udall in the Virgin Islands.[14]"

Isn't that what I said, WN. By the way Guam is not a State as far as I know & neither are the Virgin Islands.....

Last edited:
Isn't that what I said, WN. By the way Guam is not a State as far as I know.

You did and it isn't! :thumb:

Just thought I would quote a reference to support the statement.

So the correct answer is that there are three correct answers?

The correct answer according to the man on the TV is as mentioned by many ALASKA.

The prime and 180 degree meridians longitude determine which half of the world is classed as East and which half is West. Same as the equator determines which half of the world is North and which is South.

Now 10% will agree with this, 60% will disagree and the remaining 30% will post something totally unrelated to the original question if forum posting standards are maintained.;)

So, France is in Eastern Europe according to the man on TV........?

Now 10% will agree with this, 60% will disagree and the remaining 30% will post something totally unrelated to the original question if forum posting standards are maintained.;)

I don't know whay you have such a dim view of forum members. Anyway... the other day I went to the shops and got robbed - they wanted £3.99 for a copy of Mercedes Enthusiast. I think this shameful.

biggrin.gif

So, France is in Eastern Europe according to the man on TV........?

That is not what I said at all. France is in the Eastern half of the globe, Eastern Europe is to the East of Western Europe. Stand looking North and wherever you are in the world except the poles everything to you right is East.:doh:

Welcome to the 60% group by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom