Geolocation faulty on COMAND

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bolidemichael

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S211 E500
I have a 2003 COMAND (whichever that is) and as of today, my GPS insisted that I was in a location about five miles from my actual location.

Any ideas what has gone wrong here?

Could be the GPS antenna. How many satellites does COMAND see?

I don't know whether any appear when on the move, but whilst stationary, it appears nil, which can't be correct

Attachments

• CBF9DF88-77AD-457E-BB01-E3AD85CE2BC6.jpeg
    CBF9DF88-77AD-457E-BB01-E3AD85CE2BC6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
So most likely your GPS antenna is faulty.

Though obviously this could also be a fault with the COMAND unit itself, or the antenna wire/connector at the back of the unit etc.

But I'd start with replacing the GPS antenna.

Do you know where it is located within the S211 body?

I don't, but someone else might. They are sometimes located in the 'shark fin' antenna on the roof, and sometimes incorporated into the windscreen behind the rearview mirror.

MB also sell a genuine GPS antenna that can be placed inside the dash on top of the instruments cluster binnacle, there'e a dedicated spot for it there. It's meant to be used with COMAND retrofits, where retrofitting the original GPS antenna is not practical, but it can also be used to replace the original MB antenna in cases where the replacement of the original antenna might be too expensive.

See for example:

But talk to them first re fitment for your car.

There are also cheaper options on eBay / Amazon etc, but I don't know about compatibility - others might know.

E.g:

In summary, buying it form Comand UK will cost a bit more, but they will 100% sell you the right thing to fix the problem with your COMAND unit.

Otherwise, it's a bit of trial-and-error... and reading other members comments and recommendations.

Best of Luck :)

Should be no shark fin on an S211, the GPS antenna should be at the top of the tailgate, under the top panel. Odd that they fail equally often as on the W211 even if better protected from weather.

Should be no shark fin on an S211, the GPS antenna should be at the top of the tailgate, under the top panel. Odd that they fail equally often as on the W211 even if better protected from weather.
Is it in the door or on the roof?

I
In summary, buying it form Comand UK will cost a bit more, but they will 100% sell you the right thing to fix the problem with your COMAND unit.

Otherwise, it's a bit of trial-and-error... and reading other members comments and recommendations.

Best of Luck :)
I wonder whether I should time it with an upgrade to a better system, or a more modern COMAND, plus uprated speakers.

I've already had a quotation for Morel speakers and BOF has said that the upgrade costs ££££

The location cursor on my W203 coupe Comand has also packed up, showing me to be miles away and it just gets further every day. I have changed the aerial twice with COMAND UK's help, but unfortunately it's the actual unit that's broken.
I managed to take it apart hoping the antenna connection was faulty, but a multimeter showed there was continuity between the casing as well as the circuit board connection. Couldn't see anything else obvious amongst the myriad of printed circuits and wouldn't know how to fix it anyway.
So I am also thinking about updating to have Bluetooth, DAB etc, by replacing it with one of the look-alike units available from Ebay for under £200. Anyone got any experience of fitting these, or are are they a waste of money?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom