George Blake: The Confession.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Text source BBC Radio 4.

A remarkable interview with the notorious double agent, who recently passed away.

George Blake became a senior MI6 officer - even though he had converted to the Communist cause while held as a prisoner in North Korea.
He photographed vast numbers of classified documents, and by his own estimates betrayed around 500 agents working for the Western powers.

In the late 1980s, the journalist Tom Bower secured the first interview with Blake, in which he freely confessed to betraying his colleagues and described in detail his sensational escape from Wormwood Scrubs Prison in London, and his journey to exile in Moscow.

This radio version was first broadcast in 2009.

What an extraordinary interview! Thank you for posting.

I wonder why he wasn't asked how he felt about not seeing his children from his first (British) wife Gillian, assuming that was the case.

EDIT: from Wikipedia:

'Custody of their three sons, Anthony, James, and Patrick, was awarded to Gillian. This caused Blake a good deal of grief, though he knew that Gillian would have struggled to settle into life in the Soviet Union.'

Last edited:
What an extraordinary interview! Thank you for posting.

I wonder why he wasn't asked how he felt about not seeing his children from his first (British) wife Gillian, assuming that was the case.

EDIT: from Wikipedia:

'Custody of their three sons, Anthony, James, and Patrick, was awarded to Gillian. This caused Blake a good deal of grief, though he knew that Gillian would have struggled to settle into life in the Soviet Union.'

The interviewer was, quite rightly, abrasive at times but this was tempered by the unflappability of Blake, which is probably why he had the roles he had in his life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom