George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests/riots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. One.
I’ll rephrase Rory’s question: what’s your view on what she said?

FYI, I agree with her that making Floyd out as some sort of hero in all this takes away from the core message that innocent black people are being unfairly targeted and discriminated against. She wants black people to demonstrate that they deserve equality. She wants those black people who commit offences to stop doing so because it gives her culture a bad name.

Because I don't think it matters. The cop restrained 'a suspect', and the suspect died. To my mind, that's all that needs to be investigated.

Virtually noone has said that he was was a do-gooder.. The issue is, if he were White he would almost certainly still be alive right now.

You may think so ..... as that is MSM rhetoric, but see here ... not so long ago:

Tony Timpa is a white guy ..... but there were no riots ... not even a protest.

Because I don't think it matters. The cop restrained 'a suspect', and the suspect died. To my mind, that's all that needs to be investigated.

Exactly ... he didn't die because he was black ... he died due to the actions of a police officer - see my post about Tony Timpa, a white guy who died in identical circumstances.

Exactly ... he didn't die because he was black ... he died due to the actions of a police officer - see my post about Tony Timpa, a white guy who died in identical circumstances.

We don't know that.

We don't know if there was a racial component in this incident, or not. This is one of the things that need to be investigated. I wouldn't jump into conclusions either way.

I think it matters.
I want to know what Mr Floyd was like.
Whether it matters, and you wanting to know about it, are two different things.

If the cop was trialled in the UK, the prosecution would have a hard time convincing the judge that Mr Floyd's past criminal convictions is admissible evidence. It can prejudice the jury against him. It would only be admissible if the prosecution could demonstrate that it was relevant to the case. Which I don't think it is. Suspects should not be killed by cops, unless they pose a danger, and regardless of their past background.

Whether it matters, and you wanting to know about it, are two different things.

If the cop was trialled in the UK, the prosecution would have a hard time convincing the judge that Mr Floyd's past criminal convictions is admissible evidence. It can prejudice the jury against him. It would only be admissible if the prosecution could demonstrate that it was relevant to the case. Which I don't think it is. Suspects should not be killed by cops, unless they pose a danger, and regardless of their past background.
You mid-understand me.

I said I wanted to know what Mr Floyd was like. Tell me about him. Had he been in trouble with the Police before?

I agree with what you said about suspects shouldn’t be killed by cops unless they pose as a danger but this will all come out in court whether it was done on purpose or not.

As I said in a post last Thursday. I personally don’t give a shite that the bloke is dead.

So not systemic and you ignored the relevant point!

I ignore it as it didn't make sense. Sure more white cops Policing black people? And? Does that make what happened/ing acceptable as they are different races? Of course not. It's still murder.

Entirely disingenuous to use that case in this context.
The reason it persisted unchallenged for so long were two-fold.

One, the race element. An unwillingness to broach the perpetrators lest it be viewed as racist at core. Wrong headed certainly, but at its heart was a desire to preserve good race relations. Implicit in that is that the lives of blacks and other races do matter.

Two, class. Those girls were viewed as sub-working class trash. That's why their voices went unheard. They were viewed (when even believed) as being complicit in their own victimhood. Viewed that way by people with no comprehension of what their lives were like.

It was also hidden from public view. So no marches of support were possible as the problem was unknown to the wider world. And you use this case to ask ''should Black lives matter?''

Racist element . . .no one did anything because asians were involved . , . racist as you say
BLM are pushing the racist card.

The excuse that the girls were complicit was peddled a good reason to do nothing, based on the fear of being accused of racism

Valid from where I stand

I'm sure I read early on in this case that the cop now in the dock, and the victim, were known to each other as co-workers as bouncers (?) in a night club. Not quite sure of the exact relationship, as I don't know if cops in Minneapolis (or anywhere else in the US) can have second jobs.

The jury will decide if it was murder., jumping the gun a bit.
The jury will decided if it was: murder of the 2nd degree while committing a felony. This is what he was charged with. For now, anyway.

The angle that the prosecutors took is that Mr Floyd was unlawfully restrained, which is a felony; and if a person dies while a felony is being committed, the felon is charged with 2nd degree murder. This is a workaround that allows charging him with 2nd degree murder without having to prove that he actually intended to kill Mr Floyd.

Keeping in mind that when a cop shoots a suspect, he usually intends to cause serious injury or death. In this case, it will be very difficult to prove that the cop expected that the suspect will die as result of the restraining technique. Hence the 'workaround' that allows the charge to be increased from 3rd degree murder to 2nd degree without having to prove intent.

But a charge of 1st degree, as the family are seeking, is unlikely. This will require to prove that the murder was premeditated. I.e. that the cop intended to kill the suspect even before they have met each other that day, which most probably isn't true and it will not be possible to convince a jury of that.

(Unless of course some evidence emerges regarding a possible motive for murder based on their previous acquaintance, which is currently not the case)

Last edited:
White privalage?
Huh? Er, no... Online forums is the one place where people can't be discriminated against on the grounds of their skin color....

H
Huh? Er, no... Online forums is the one place where people can't be discriminated against on the grounds of their skin color....
Ha wow you keep telling yourself that!

H

Ha wow you keep telling yourself that!

You can see people's skin color through the Internet? Do tell, how is it done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom