George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests/riots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The United Kingdom is not a racist country, the BLM argument is flawed in that respect.
No but it’s only the little lot in charge of running this country that are racist! Sadly a lot of numpties on here support said lot!

kam09 said:
White privalage?

Gone quiet. Was looking forward to his/her/their response (not only do we not know ethnicity we don't know gender)
No need for me to add anything else chappo.. I along with many others know and have experienced that upper class white privilege still exists today.. and will most likely exist in the foreseeable future..

Theoretically Kahn shouldn’t even be mayor.
Is that cos he has brown skin? Oh come on do tell why he shouldn’t really be mayor?? My white privilege radar is pinging!

Is that cos he has brown skin? Oh come on do tell why he shouldn’t really be mayor?? My white privilege radar is pinging!

Well the question you need to ask - is whether Mr Kahn is effective or competent.

But you didn't.

What does that say about you?

Other people have their own radar - calibrated rather differently from your 'white privilege' model.

You haven't answered my question.

You're attempting to crudely misdirect by creating a different question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really?.....

You only have to read some of the posts in this thread to see racism is alive and well (and not being seen, acknowledged, nor challenged - which allows it to continue).

:mad:
Do you feel the move worldwide towards more authoritarian societies due to the Coronavirus will help the fight against racism?

The United Kingdom is not a racist country, the BLM argument is flawed in that respect.
I would strongly disagree with that statement racism is alive and well in this country. The racism may not be as obvious as in my parents days eg called the n word, having banana skins thrown at them, told 'no Irish no dogs, no blacks' being spat at and beaten because of the colour of their skin.But there is still plenty of racism which I have experienced in recent years as well as colleagues relatives and friends unfortunately.

Alot of it behind closed doors when they think people aren't watching or listening

I would strongly disagree with that statement racism is alive and well in this country. The racism may not be as obvious as in my parents days eg called the n word, having banana skins thrown at them, told 'no Irish no dogs, no blacks' being spat at and beaten because of the colour of their skin.But there is still plenty of racism which I have experienced in recent years as well as colleagues relatives and friends unfortunately.

Alot of it behind closed doors when they think people aren't watching or listening
That is not good. Some people are ars***les. How did you confront the people who were disrespecting you?

You only have to read some of the posts in this thread to see racism is alive and well (and not being seen, acknowledged, nor challenged - which allows it to continue).

Loads of prejudice and stereotyping about.

Not as much actual racism as people think. Trouble is the term 'racism' has become a bit wide - to the point where I think it becomes difficult to actually discuss prejudice and stereotypes as openly as we should be able.

There is a general assumption that prejudice is asymmetric. It's not.

That is not good. Some people are ars***les. How did you confront the people who were disrespecting you?
I was always taught by my parents/mentors to remove yourself from the situation. Now in the heat of the moment and when you are young it's very easy to see red mist and lose your temper. It then becomes tit for tat and you don't want to conform to the negative sterotype that can sometimes be portrayed in the media and other people even though you have done nothing wrong. (This is often easier said than done).

You have to chalk it up as an 'experience' and don't revisit that place/person. Sometimes the racism is from people you least expect 'friends' parents etc

Your parents were obviously wise as acting in haste never works. This MLK quote is not a bad way to approach many things in life.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”

No but it’s only the little lot in charge of running this country that are racist! Sadly a lot of numpties on here support said lot!

Can you please name the following senior people from the 'little lot in charge of running this country': The Chancellor of the Exchequer, the Secretary of State for the Home Department, the Business Secretary. Please.

Last edited:
Your parents were obviously wise as acting in haste never works. This MLK quote is not a bad way to approach many things in life.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.”

Unfortunately there is alot of pent up anger and aggression as alot of people feel the issue has been brushed under the carpet for too many years

Unfortunately there is alot of pent up anger and aggression as alot of people feel the issue has been brushed under the carpet for too many years
And in a situation such as that it is always in my humble opinion the best course to seek wise council. Here is a nice account of Martin Luther Kings visit to my hometown in 1967 which i found interesting.

Which issue? Police killings in the USA or statues in London and Bristol?

What annoys me about this whole thing is that people think racism against blacks is prevalent in this country and elsewhere.

My only experience of racism is when I was walking along a street in St. Lucia on holiday when two guys shouted across the road, "Hey honkey, what are you doing with our sister?"

I was with my wife who was black.

I invited them to cross the road and say that again. They didn't.

We never experienced any form of overt racism over here. I say that, but I could tell I was not accepted by some black people for being with a black girl.

Racism works both ways and nobody says anything.

Why is that?

Racism as a whole, the George Floyd murder just brought the attention to the surface again in my opinion

Well some people look for outrage. They find symbols and totems.

Mr Floyd died in the US while being restrained by a US policeman. That's in a different nation with different laws and standards.

And so we have police in our country- the UK - being injured here and statues apparently being toppled here (- and a potential risk of spread of disease that might well lead to a few more deaths).

You think there aren't other groups with an interest watching this and thinking that this gives them the right to get angry.

How do you think it will look if the police and media respond rather less leniently to any large right wing demonstration against all this? You then have the state and media trapped between two outraged groups - both claiming discrimination.

Reactions: m80

So you're both insulting and calling into question the intelligence of forum members, some (most/all?) of whom you don't know, have never met and may never meet just because of their political persuasion? Also are you suggesting, by inference, that the same forum members are racist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom