George Floyd/Black Lives Matter protests/riots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that cos he has brown skin? Oh come on do tell why he shouldn’t really be mayor?? My white privilege radar is pinging!
Ha ha, good try there.

His tenure should end this year. He’s only there because the Coronavirus pandemic means the election is postponed until further notice.

What annoys me about this whole thing is that people think racism against blacks is prevalent in this country and elsewhere.

My only experience of racism is when I was walking along a street in St. Lucia on holiday when two guys shouted across the road, "Hey honkey, what are you doing with our sister?"

I was with my wife who was black.

I invited them to cross the road and say that again. They didn't.

We never experienced any form of overt racism over here. I say that, but I could tell I was not accepted by some black people for being with a black girl.

Racism works both ways and nobody says anything.

Why is that?

I know what you mean.

I had something similar at a Troublefunk (Google them folks) concert at Hammy Odeon in about 1985.
I was with my friends which were and still are a mixture of black and white along with a group of girls from Wandsworth that we had met in Magaluf that summer. Also a mixture of black and white.

The dynamics of our group seemed to offend some black people. No white people gave a $hit though.

Does that make me a victim?

Well some people look for outrage. They find symbols and totems.

Mr Floyd died in the US while being restrained by a US policeman. That's in a different nation with different laws and standards.

And so we have police in our country- the UK - being injured here and statues apparently being toppled here (- and a potential risk of spread of disease that might well lead to a few more deaths).

You think there aren't other groups with an interest watching this and thinking that this gives them the right to get angry.

How do you think it will look if the police and media respond rather less leniently to any large right wing demonstration against all this? You then have the state and media trapped between two outraged groups - both claiming discrimination.

I don't condone the violence that has occurred during protest, however it was the same with the climate change protests, the vast majority behaved themselves, there will always be a few that will over step the mark. I was working in London during the climate change protests and personally witnessed alot of violence, but not everything you see makes the news.

Plenty of police injured and lots of angry people, it was absolute chaos although I'm not aware of any climate statues being toppled.

Remember when Prescott and Blair were campaigning and Prescott threw a t, do you know what his excuse was?

The squeaky wheel gets the oil.......

We have all the minority groups (not only BAEM) making so much noise about their rights that the majority will soon have less rights that the collective minorities.

I don't condone the violence that has occurred during protest, however it was the same with the climate change protests, the vast majority behaved themselves, there will always be a few that will over step the mark. I was working in London during the climate change protests and personally witnessed alot of violence, but not everything you see makes the news.

Plenty of police injured and lots of angry people, it was absolute chaos although I'm not aware of any climate statues being toppled.

Remember when Prescott and Blair were campaigning and Prescott threw a t, do you know what his excuse was?

For some reason, I couldn't edit my post properly, anyway out of the 137000 protestors there have only been 135 arrests and Priti Patel herself has said the protests were mainly peaceful. There was more violence and more arrests during the Trafalgar square riots and that was over a game of football!

Really?.....

You only have to read some of the posts in this thread to see racism is alive and well (and not being seen, acknowledged, nor challenged - which allows it to continue).

:mad:

Do you think then that because of a few comments here you believe this is a racist forum?
I would strongly disagree with that statement racism is alive and well in this country. The racism may not be as obvious as in my parents days eg called the n word, having banana skins thrown at them, told 'no Irish no dogs, no blacks' being spat at and beaten because of the colour of their skin.But there is still plenty of racism which I have experienced in recent years as well as colleagues relatives and friends unfortunately.

Alot of it behind closed doors when they think people aren't watching or listening
I didn't say there isn't any racism in the UK, I said the UK isn't a racist country. Just like there is sexism, ageism etc in the UK doesn't make it a sexist or ageist country as a whole.

Look at the photos someone posted showing black people looting, does that mean all black people loot? Of course not. Does that mean that the US has a problem with endemic looting, of course not.

It's wrong to tarnish an entire country or community because of a very few bad people.

Last edited:
Why has the photo i posted of Starmer & Rayner been deleted?

Did it get under somebody’s skin? A bit too edgy for white privileged mercedes drivers?

i would have thought an image of those two taking the knee was a superb example of virtue signalling by persons in a position of white privilege.

For some reason, I couldn't edit my post properly, anyway out of the 137000 protestors there have only been 135 arrests and Priti Patel herself has said the protests were mainly peaceful. There was more violence and more arrests during the Trafalgar square riots and that was over a game of football!
What about the fact that we are still in lockdown? Does that count for anything?

Why has the photo i posted of Starmer & Rayner been deleted?

Did it get under somebody’s skin? A bit too edgy for white privileged mercedes drivers?

i would have thought an image of those two taking the knee was a superb example of virtue signalling by persons in a position of white privilege.

After 2 years on the forum I would have thought you would understand the rules on UK politics on this forum.

This thread is closing.

Some (a fair number actually) of the comments on here are racist, extremely outdated and quiet frankly shocking.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom