George Fraser prices for parts. Eeeeeek!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
Guys,

I took the advice of the fine folk in here and got GF to quote for some work to my car including parts. Some of his prices are actually more expensive than retail through a dealer!

His parts lists for my car came to £550.27 and both Eurocarparts and GSFCars came in under £290.

As much as I would like to get some work done by his garage, I can't pay double for the parts.

he does use original MB parts...if you want him to use parts that you supply, im sure he wouldnt have a problem!...

Check the prices at a dealer... As a MB Forum member, George will give you 10% off parts & Labour...

Jay

As a MB Forum member, George will give you 10% off parts & Labour...

Did that already. You mean it could have been more expensive than this? ^&*&%&^%&^%!!!! ;-)

Here's the quote. Some of these are cheaper from MB themselves.

Front Discs £50
Front Pads £37.02
Rear Discs £44
Rear Pads £16
Water Pump £ 112.82
Thermostat £12.17
Expansion Bottle £19.77
Bottle Cap £3.48
HT Leads £180.00 (OMFG!)
Distributor Cap £54.02
Rotor Arm £20.99
Labour £346

All prices excluding VAT.

Last edited:
HT leads are the killer, he should have rang you to tell you before fitting, if he didnt, maybe you should complain.
Original HT leads are expensive and are supposed to last the life of the engine. I would have used good quality ones from Euro.

Still, i would check dealer prices...as 180 does sound a lot...and pads sound a bit expensive aswell...

Hmmm now youve scared me, im going on saturday so he can sort out my carburettor.... :(

Sorry just read, if they are cheaper from MB, then definately get him to sort it out as he gets MB stuff and at a good discount to waht you or i would pay!

HT leads are the killer, he should have rang you to tell you before fitting,

Fear not - this was only a quote. It's like a sevice contraceptive. The bad thing is that I was really keen on trying his business out, as most people seem to rate him. He quotes his labout charge on the website as £42 per hour, so I am trying to work out where 8.23 hours goes on this work. :-(

I cannot believe that HT leads are sub £50 from GSF and Euro, and the MB ones are £180.

Last edited:
Scott,

As Jay has said... George only uses OEM parts. If you want to supply your own parts and let do George do the work then I'm sure he'd be happy to do that, although I know George is a great believer in OEM.

If there's any aspect of his quote that you'd want further clarification on then I'm sure George would be happy to explain them in further detail... hours or cost breakdown.

Hehe the only problem is that he's usually sooooo busy that talking to him on the phone can be very difficult task to achieve.

S.

The garage I use quoted more than a main BMW dealer (BMW car at the time obviously) once for a part. I told them and they immediatelly said we cannot have that and gave me a discount to undercut the stealership.

I don't wish to blatantly advertise but I like to help people her out if I can. I can sort you out a cracking deal on most of those parts. Off the top of my head the ignition leads would be less than £50:D My sister company is the largest manufacturer in Europe. Contrary to what most people believe the likes of Lucas, Bosch etc do not manufacture themselves and the quality is............lets just say not that brilliant. :(

Brakes are my speciality and I will only supply OE equivalent and all the other parts I can get if we don't stock them.

And I know a top mechanic who will do the job for you.;)

Sorry to disagree with jimmy, but there has been a lot of discussion on another forum about this...I dont think you would have a problem with non genuine leads, i use them, but MB leads are the best....but then four times as much probably isnt worth it.....

I am going to call back tomorrow and speak with him about just replacing the water pump. Bugger the rest of it - I may as well do it myself.

/me is still really angry that the pump died as a result of a cooling system flush.

going from my personal experience of spares direct from the dealer - bear in mind these are for either W123 or W124 models

all these prices include VAT

thermostat - cost round £8
front disks - £52 the pair - cheaper than europarts!!
rear disks - £45 the pair

remember when you change the disks to use new caliper bolts these cost about £20 for the full set

front pads - £32
rear pads - £24 ( I think can't find the receipt for them)

don't forget that MB have cut the prices of their parts for older cars - the discount seems to vary between 10% and 30% - so very often it's worth checking the dealers prices before ordering from Europarts etc.

HTH

Andy

Last edited:
Originally posted by jaymanek
Sorry to disagree with jimmy, but there has been a lot of discussion on another forum about this...I dont think you would have a problem with non genuine leads, i use them, but MB leads are the best....but then four times as much probably isnt worth it.....

What I meant was that the well known makes such as Lucas, Bosch and Champion are not made by themselves and the quality of the cable and components is not what it ought to be.

We actually make two types of ignition leads for german cars, an OE equivalent set made with copper core cable and a resistive alternative that does exactly the same job but is a third of the price.

How about a custom made set of quad-core, full silicone, electric blue ignition leads.:D

Ht leads from the Garage in Bacup £38 +vat (original new)
same leads from my local motor factor £98.
Disks £42 a pair front or rear from local factor.
Disk pads £27 front £17 rear.

Well.....

I spoke with George this morning, and mentioned to him that the total cost was too much, and that I would like to progress with the water pump replacement only.

£122 for the part
£58 per hour labour (3 hours required)

and 10% off the final bill for being a forum member!

I have decided that for this critical part of the engine, experienced MB people are required and that a genuine MB part is a slightly safer bet.

He's even agreed to do it tomorrow for me. ;-)

As for the rest of the bits that needed doing - i can see myself getting very friendly with my tools over the next few weeks.

Just for comparison;)

Front Discs £34
Front Pads £23 (£9*)
Rear Discs £18
Rear Pads £15 (£5*)
Water Pump £85
Thermostat £8
HT Leads £29
Distributor Cap £39
Rotor Arm £11

Always worth trying a local independent motor factor, these are trade prices which you will not normally get yourself.

These are not cheap budget parts, we sell these parts to the trade and never have any problems. The discs are manufactured by Bradi the pads by Ferrodo, the prices in brackets are for our normal pads but we have had one complaint from a C-class owner over sqeaky pads.

I understand that people want to pay more for genuine parts, but why when you can get OE spec parts for these prices?

Good luck with parts, however you get it done.;)

Jimmy supplied replacement discs and pads and I had them fitted by his mechanic mate - can't fault them so far and got a very good deal. Recommended :D

Cheers

Andrew

Car is with GF this morning - I was sat outside pissing coolant everywhere from 6am-7am, as I overestimated travel time.

I have asked for the water pump and thermostat to be replaced, and for them to "check and advise" on oil leak and rough idle.

Fingers crossed for no surprises.

They sure pack that workshop tight overnight!

Im going to George tom (sat morning)

this is what hes quoted:

Manual Gearbox Oil, Diff Oil, Brake Fluid All Change for £75 +VAT (i assume ill get the 10% off)

Also he will be tuning up the carb so not sure how much he'll charge for that...

Prices seem ok?? I normally do all this myself, but dont have access to a ramp for a few weeks and need to do it before i go on a long run...

Anyway If anyones going tom, see you there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom