George Fraser prices for parts. Eeeeeek!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
interesting chat with my local parts department this afternoon (MB Eastbourne) regarding pricing of spares.

Each dealer can apparently charge what they like - MB issue a guide price list but that's all.

He said that they had also heard of prices being alomost double the recommended list and suggested that if you are not happy with a price ring another dealer.

He also went to great lengths to point out that they only charge the list price for spares and don't add anything - so if you want a reference price phone MB Eastbourne :)

Andy

Originally posted by jaymanek
Im going to George tom (sat morning)

this is what hes quoted:

Manual Gearbox Oil, Diff Oil, Brake Fluid All Change for £75 +VAT (i assume ill get the 10% off)

Also he will be tuning up the carb so not sure how much he'll charge for that...

Prices seem ok?? I normally do all this myself, but dont have access to a ramp for a few weeks and need to do it before i go on a long run...

Anyway If anyones going tom, see you there!

I'll see you there tom morning 8:30am Sharp.

8.30????????? He told me not to come before 9.30, i assumed thats when he opened on sat??

Either way, im goin out 2nite, no way im gonna be there untill 9.30ish!

Ill be the one with the 23 year old Yellow merc!

Originally posted by jaymanek
Either way, im goin out 2nite, no way im gonna be there untill 9.30ish!

Expect the place to be packed to the gunnels ;) hehe. If you're not there early, people can start queueing. :p George gets mighty busy, especially on Saturdays.

*EDIT* J. you don't have to worry too much though as you've booked ahead ;) but it is amazing the number of punters that just turn up out of the blue. I also like to pick George's brains whenever I am there and that's a whole lot more tricky if you turn up mid morning and he's already knee deep on another job.

You gonna be taking your camera K.??

S.

Last edited:
Right, i definately want some advice, so i guess ill be there at 8.30 then!

By the way is it easy to find; im guessing i go towards ealing from hanger lane, then im hoping i should see it???

J.,

As you head away from Hanger Lane roundabout up the main road you'll eventually pass a large Sainsburys on your left. Just past here the road rises (bridge) and just the other side of the crest is a set of traffic lights. Turn right at these traffic lights and up ahead of you to your left should be Alperton tube station. Just before the tube bridge is a right hand turn into a business park, once in George is on the right.

I hope these directions make sense to you tomorrow.

S.

I had George fit a set of brakes, new pads and disks to my CLK for me. A forum member told me that the whole procedure, including a brake fluid bleed would take about an hour and a half. George quoted me for three hours labour.

I watched the mechanic fit my brakes.He wasn't in a rush. He took time out for lunch. And the whole procedure took a shade over an hour and a half. I was still charged the original quote, with no 10% reduction for being a forum member. The fitting cost £170. I supplied the pads and disks.

I was to return to George with two problems. Firstly, the park brake was set far too high. So high that the pedal would only go down to the first click. Secondly, a vibration problem that I though new pads and disks would remedy actually got worse. It took some pressure to get George and a mechanic to take time to examine the problem.

I felt a little let down by all this. A member recommended George Fraser but I am sad to say that I cannot do the same.

I explored the cost of having my brakes overhauled by MB in Milton Keynes and, to my horror, they quoted less than George charged me. Furthermore, they new of the problem I am having and had a series of soultions.

Maybe I'm unlucky.

Last edited:
Nic,

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with George Fraser :( Did you get your brakes sorted in the end?

S.

No. I live in London, so the treck to Milton Keynes is not one I relish. London dealership charges are just so high.

Do you have any advice?

The brakes have this tendency to bind, just at the end of the braking cycle. Just before you come to a halt, there is a noise accompnied with a little vibration, then the brakes seem to lock on. The same in reverse. When taking off, particularly when crawling along in traffic, the brakes release with a bit of a jump. When feathered off, the same noise.

Also the overall feel of the brakes is a not completely smooth.

Have I missed something?

I'm afraid I can't offer much advice - George has been my mechanic of choice for many years.

I believe Alps has mentioned another MB independent in London and I'm sure I've seen another post somewhere praising an independent based in Harrow, I'll have a quick look see round the forum.

**EDIT** Links now added.

As for the problem itself, I'm afraid I don't have a clue, having not suffered anything similar myself.

You did say that MB know of the problems with the brakes, is this work covered under warranty or subject of a recall? Seems very strange that MB would be aware of a known problem with a safety critical item yet you're having to pay for a fix. I assume it can't be discs/pads since GF has already changed them albeit not to your satisfaction.

S.

Last edited:
I'd guess that a brake piston is not moving freely enough in the caliper - no real cure apart from either stripping them down and cleaning everything up or replacing the calipers.

If you decide to do the job yourself remember to replace the caliper bolts as well - these are ideally a use them and throw them away thing.

Andy

I arrived to collect my car today and it was off being cleaned. George introduced himself and he seemed like a nice guy.

It was clear that they had forgotten to check a few of the things I had asked for, so he checked the car with me. Minor oil leaks - nothing to worry about, and the HT lead supressors are shagged.

I wasn't blown away by the servicing, and the labour rate was mugh higher than listed on his website. He forgot the 10% discount, but immediately reduced the price upon me pointing out the error.

Water pump no longer leaks, so job done - happy customer.

Got the awful news back yesterday about the cost to replace the headgasket and the rear crankshaft seal. :-(

George had recommended doing the head gasket first, then steam clean the engine to see if the other seal really needed doing. 7-10 hours was the headgasket estime.

I called the old man back in Oz (works for MB) and got his opinion. Identical to George's! Almost word for word.

Way to go George!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom