George Fraser

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sp!ke

Administrator
Car
SL500 & The Fart Car
I just thought I’d provide some feedback on my recent experience with George Fraser’s recently.

On Saturday I got up bright and early and dropped my car off at George’s workshop for its 108k service. This is a major service for my model and one that I had been warned could leave me with little change from a grand at a main dealer.

I was greeted by  Angela, a very attractive and knowledgeable girl, who promptly booked me in and wrote down any concerns I had and what I wanted and did not want to be done to the car. I was then given the keys to my courtesy car which to my surprise was an old 300SL, which although showing its age slightly, was a delight to drive and felt really tight mechanically sound. Certainly far nicer than being given a Corsa or Mondeo or something.

Five o’clock, and I returned to pick up the car and George was just finishing off. The car was then washed and dried while I was sorting out the paperwork. On being presented with the bill, I was pleasantly surprised. The total bill was 380+ VAT, of which nearly £200 was labour.  I was given a complete rundown by George himself as to what was done and what will need doing in the future (wishbone bushes showing signs of wear) including an explanation of what symptoms this displays etc. He went on to say he did some welding on some exhaust shielding that was corroded and vibrating badly. Sure enough, the noise has now gone.

The next day I opened the bonnet and had a poke around. Everything looked in order, new washers everywhere; new parts where they should have been nice clean oil, fluids, filters etc. The car feels like a different animal now. The tick over is smooth the vibrations have gone, the steering feels more precise…all in all I am a very happy with the work done.

My general feeling about George Fraser’s’ is that “what they say is what you get.” There is no bullsh*t, they get the work done and do it properly and efficiently. The staff are all friendly, approachable and knowledgeable. Another point to note is that one of the mechanics is a very talented woman ….this is something unfortunately all too rare in this industry and for many reasons I think it should be encouraged. After all, women’s attention to detail is generally far higher than that of us blokes. I thoroughly recommend this family business to anyone with a Mercedes Benz.

Thanks to all that recommended them to me.

For those of you that haven’t heard of the workshop before, you can find his details here

http://www.georgefrasergarage.co.uk

NEW Website For George

The new website is M. B. Motors (GB) Limited | Home

I just thought I’d provide some feedback on my recent experience with George Fraser’s recently.

On Saturday I got up bright and early and dropped my car off at George’s workshop for its 108k service. This is a major service for my model and one that I had been warned could leave me with little change from a grand at a main dealer.

I was greeted by  Angela, a very attractive and knowledgeable girl, who promptly booked me in and wrote down any concerns I had and what I wanted and did not want to be done to the car. I was then given the keys to my courtesy car which to my surprise was an old 300SL, which although showing its age slightly, was a delight to drive and felt really tight mechanically sound. Certainly far nicer than being given a Corsa or Mondeo or something.

Five o’clock, and I returned to pick up the car and George was just finishing off. The car was then washed and dried while I was sorting out the paperwork. On being presented with the bill, I was pleasantly surprised. The total bill was 380+ VAT, of which nearly £200 was labour.  I was given a complete rundown by George himself as to what was done and what will need doing in the future (wishbone bushes showing signs of wear) including an explanation of what symptoms this displays etc. He went on to say he did some welding on some exhaust shielding that was corroded and vibrating badly. Sure enough, the noise has now gone.

The next day I opened the bonnet and had a poke around. Everything looked in order, new washers everywhere; new parts where they should have been nice clean oil, fluids, filters etc. The car feels like a different animal now. The tick over is smooth the vibrations have gone, the steering feels more precise…all in all I am a very happy with the work done.

My general feeling about George Fraser’s’ is that “what they say is what you get.” There is no bullsh*t, they get the work done and do it properly and efficiently. The staff are all friendly, approachable and knowledgeable. Another point to note is that one of the mechanics is a very talented woman ….this is something unfortunately all too rare in this industry and for many reasons I think it should be encouraged. After all, women’s attention to detail is generally far higher than that of us blokes. I thoroughly recommend this family business to anyone with a Mercedes Benz.

Thanks to all that recommended them to me.

For those of you that haven’t heard of the workshop before, you can find his details here

http://www.georgefrasergarage.co.uk

The new website is M. B. Motors (GB) Limited | Home

Wow talk about old thread revival!

Interestingly this garage is very close to me and my car is due a service soon. Anyone had any recent dealings with them?

There were some mixed reviews a few years back.. I think a lot from here have avoided them since then..

However everyone makes mistakes and id only go there if I was promised that george himself worked on the car.

There were some mixed reviews a few years back.. I think a lot from here have avoided them since then..

However everyone makes mistakes and id only go there if I was promised that george himself worked on the car.

My experience of George himself working on my car was far from ideal! See my previous posts regarding problems I had with what should have been a very simple gearbox oil / filter change for details... Suffice to say I won't be going back... :mad:

It would also appear that as he has "joined forces" with MB Motors, a rebranding was felt necessary...:dk:

Cheers

JohnE

AFAIK Geroge doesnt work there anymore. Everything I have heard and read of MB Motors is not good.

Last edited:
I find this a bit strange. I have had work done by George and I was very happy with what he did for me. It was done quickly and for a very reasonable price too.

And yet I have read some of the reviews,and it has to be said that some are pretty bad.

It seems strange that some people like me have had good service and yet others have had poor service.

George is still there,but as it has been said the company name has changed.

Mike.

Didn't Nav have a terrible time there with his 560 SEC ?

When I first used him he was in the front office,dealing with customers.

When I went more recently he was in the workshop working on cars and another chap was in the front office dealing with customers.

Perhaps he has " gone back on the tools " in an effort to try to improve standards there.

Mike.

What does the phrase   mean ?

I saw it twice in the original post .

Had a service and various other work done by GF a few weeks ago. No issues whatsoever, very good service.

As the OP on this thread, I feel I should say that I was forced to change my views on George's workshop after a couple of rather bad experiences.

I haven't been back for a number of years, preferring to get my hands dirty myself now as this seems the only way to ensure work is done to my standards.

Last edited:
they are a large operation... lets face it, most customers must be happy otherwise this and other forums would be inundated with posts....

Well he had so much bad press both here and in Mercedes Enthusiast that I'm not sure what you say stands. I wouldnt be surprised if this was his reason for the name and venue change.

Having been given a "customers car" as a loaner myself and having read about others complaining that their personal cars had been secretly lent to other customers for this purpose also I have no trust in him any longer.

Having been given a "customers car" as a loaner myself and having read about others complaining that their personal cars had been secretly lent to other customers for this purpose also I have no trust in him any longer.

That's outrageous! I would be fuming if I found out this was happening to my car. Surely this isn't legal as the car is not their own to lend out when a customer has deposited it for repairs, etc. I am surprised there haven't been more angry posts about this kind of thing if it was going on.

Sorry off topic I know guys but Spike...where did you get that retractable bonnet star from ?

cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom