German and Swedish Ggggrrrrrr

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter T

Car
SL 350, BMW540i, Toyota Hilux, Fiesta XR2
My son's r170 has been having tracking and steering problems for a while. It's also worn the inner edges off a set of front tyres.

He decided to replace the track rod/idler rod assembly, the idler arm bearing, and the steering damper.

Took a couple of hours to get it all stripped down tonight. When we compared the new one, that he picked up from G and S today, to the original one, it turned out to be the wrong shape!!

So now, instead of having a nice new steering setup, the car's still up on axle stands!!!

Don't forget Euro Car Parts are giving members discounts, use the code MBCLUB30 (30% disc although i think this one has finished) or MBCLUB25 (25% off).

Don't forget Euro Car Parts are giving members discounts, use the code MBCLUB30 (30% disc although i think this one has finished) or MBCLUB25 (25% off).

Thanks for that.

Checked their web site but they don't seem to have the drag link assy, only reack rod ends.

Just spoken to G and S. Apparently they have 15 drag link assemblies at their depot in Birmingham, and they're all the same, ie. Wrong!

Looks like it's going to have to be an original MB part for £380 + VAT rather than £69 + VAT!!

FWIW, got an original MB part which is the correct one.

About an hours work to fit including the damper. No problems, just a bit fiddly.

Thanks for that.

Checked their web site but they don't seem to have the drag link assy, only reack rod ends.

ECP have , or can get , lots of stuff that isn't listed on their website .

Often worth phoning your branch or emailing Pat from ECP on here .

ECP have , or can get , lots of stuff that isn't listed on their website .

Often worth phoning your branch or emailing Pat from ECP on here .

Thanks, will try that next time.

It seems that the "wrong" part is the left hand drive version!

On this model if there is adverse tyre wear it can be down to worn castor bushes on the lower arms. Difficult to check without a decent torch and a lever bar. Check the bush on the inside. They split after about 70k

On this model if there is adverse tyre wear it can be down to worn castor bushes on the lower arms. Difficult to check without a decent torch and a lever bar. Check the bush on the inside. They split after about 70k

Thanks for that.

The tracking is being done at tomorrow. We'll see how that goes. If it's still not quite right, sounds like the castor bushes will be the next thing to check.

Are they changeable or is it replacement arms?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom