German car newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

catalepticstate

Car
Mercedes E320 CDI 2005
Hi all,
I have just bought a E320 CDI Avantgarde Automatic from 2005. I love the look and the styling of it. I have come from Italian cars, Punto/Alfa 147.
I have a few things I need to see if they are a problem or a fix and some general questions.

Firstly, I was able to connect my phone via the centre console to the bluetooth but only very briefly. I have tried several times/phones but the console says "Not Connected". In the armrest I have a Nokia cradle and a nokia phone which is dead but I don't see how to take the unit out. Do I need a different adapter? I want to be able to play podcasts from my phone to the sound system.

Secondly, the navigation system thinks I am in France and not Birmingham! Why is it not connecting to GPS satellites? I have taken the disc out and put it back in and nothing. Can I download a new map disc and will it work with the unit I have?

Other questions:
I seem to have something that looks like a 3.5mm jack port in the top of the glove compartment, I plugged a cable into it and into my Android phone and it seemed to detect that there was an audio cable plugged in and out of the phone by disconnecting and connecting from the port in the glove box but the aux option on the console does not make a sound, The only options I have available are Radio/CDC and Aux with CD greyed out. Is there another way to get audio working from my phone?

My car has just over 130k miles on the clock how long realistically can I see it lasting? Also does it need any specific care at this stage to get it over the next 6 months?

When I used the option to turn the mirrors in on locking, only the drivers side locked, is this normal or has the motor gone on the passengers side and does it cost a lot to fix

What is the best method of getting the black looking black on the car without a respray?
Would you recommend a wrap? If so would a Matt Black need to be reported to the DVLA?

Why are some of the lights yellow and some bright white, do they need changing to the same?

How do I play a DVD on the console? Is it via the Nav unit or the 6 CD changer or the main CD compartment?

How can I improve the 18mpg I get around town?
I am doing a long drive on Friday morning to see how long a full tank lasts realistically.

Any and all help is welcome thanks in advance!

The sat nav I think has options when you select a destination the 1st being country, if you select UK that should default to that country next time you switch it on, the other questions maybe someone else can help.

I too have just bought a E320 CDI and also had problems trying to connect to the Bluetooth, the fix was to press the button on the Bluetooth puck in the centre arm rest, but from what you have described you may not have the puck? If you have the puck try the button and pairing code "62872".

Hi Both,
Thanks for the replies, I don't have the puck. But somehow the bluetooth option is available and it searches for and finds the phone and allows pairing but on my phone it comes up as a tablet or screen device not a headset or speaker like other items.

The navigation does not reset when changing the country. It starts my journey each time from France

Hi Both,
Thanks for the replies, I don't have the puck. But somehow the bluetooth option is available and it searches for and finds the phone and allows pairing but on my phone it comes up as a tablet or screen device not a headset or speaker like other items.

The navigation does not reset when changing the country. It starts my journey each time from France
Sadly I don't think you will be able to use the Bluetooth without the puck, however a MB Guru may be along soon, like you I'm a MB noobie.

You need a mb adapter to use Bluetooth . satnav if showing no SATs will most like need a new antenna . you should see up to 55 mpg on a long run .

The satnav is calculating the way and tells me to turn left or right but it just does not allow home country or start off country to be UK.
The BT adapter is something like the Viseeo?
55mpg is good with my Alfa I was setting 51mpg

The satnav is calculating the way and tells me to turn left or right but it just does not allow home country or start off country to be UK.
The BT adapter is something like the Viseeo?
55mpg is good with my Alfa I was setting 51mpg

it can only read what disc is in the boot also , have a look and see if its genuine and uk and europe.

if its the v6 engine youll not see 46 mpg on a run . lol

it can only read what disc is in the boot also , have a look and see if its genuine and uk and europe.

if its the v6 engine youll not see 46 mpg on a run . lol
The disc im sure just said EU not UK too :(
not more than 46?

I've not got much data to go by but the day I picked my V6 up(last Saturday) I did a mostly motorway at 70mph for 160 miles car showed 41.3 average the return journey was a little better at 43.1 I'll need to re fill the tank to get the real overall figure.

So i'm back from my trek, and the journey back shows 38mpg!
I know it's a big car, and I should have expected as much but it drank 30 litres on the way back like it was juice.
I had 2 diesel cans of 5 litres and it drank those too and I had to top up when the range read out 70 miles.

I also noticed that the glow plug light comes on now and again, I saw this before but I was not sure if I had started the car too early previously.
After I drive off and get to speed, the malfunction message comes up with reduce oil. What is that about?
My friend said that theres no dipsticks in these cars.

Also how do I pop the hood?

if its a v6 = has a dip stick

L6 = no dipstick .

hood popper is drivers side inner , below steering wheel to the right .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom