German Grand Prix in doubt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't blame them one bit.

Similar thing happened years ago at the US GP.

Don't blame them one bit.

Similar thing happened years ago at the US GP.

Stick armco or walls on the bends. Job done.

I think Gary Anderson of the BBC summed it up perfectly. The drivers are rubbing the inner edges of the tyres on the outer edge of the kerbs, causing the excessive wear and tyre failure.

The drivers are flaunting the rule that says they should not have their car cross the white line on the edge of the track by claiming they still have a wheel (at least) inside the line.

Now they are complaining when they pick up damage .....

Aw, diddums. Put up a physical barrier - they ain't going to want to hit that.

Lets hope something is sorted. These tyres have put a damper on " to the limit racing". It's more pacing than racing at the mo!

Lets hope something is sorted. These tyres have put a damper on " to the limit racing". It's more pacing than racing at the mo!

I don't think it's the tyres.

Did they explode at the previous GP ? Did anything change to the tyres or was it just a different track ....

I think Gary Anderson of the BBC summed it up perfectly. The drivers are rubbing the inner edges of the tyres on the outer edge of the kerbs, causing the excessive wear and tyre failure.
That kerb has been there for years and has not caused any damage before, so why now?

It didn't look damaged in that footage.

The support races had no issues.

Perhaps highlights the problems inherent in engineeering "built in" obsolescence into a product. Wasn't Pirelli's remit to build racing tyres that wore out quickly necessitating pit stops to heighten the entertainment of what might otherwise been a procession. The moral of the story being that sometimes ol' obsolescence likes to "jump the gun" a bit in a slightly unpredictable fashion! Perhaps the car manufacturers could learn a valuable lesson from this F1 experience [ a mantra we are constantly bombarded with] = build a deliberately inferior product and sometimes it will come back and bite you on the ass! :devil:

Pirelli say that teams switched tyres from right rear to left rear which is strictly against Pirelli's guidance. This meant that the inner wall becomes the outer wall and they are different loadings.

You cant blame Pirelli they only make the tyres to FIA requirements!They wanted to go back to a kevlar based sidewall construction but some of the lesser teams that are less hard on tyres opposed it!
And as for armco or walls! Cmon really.

Tony.

The drivers are flaunting the rule that says they should not have their car cross the white line on the edge of the track by claiming they still have a wheel (at least) inside the line.

QUOTE]

The drivers aren't flaunting any rules :confused:

That same kerb has been there since 2009 so is it an amazing coincidence or is it because Pirelli's new 2013 tyres are crap... mmmm I wonder:rolleyes:

Stick armco or walls on the bends. Job done.

Now they are complaining when they pick up damage .....

Aw, diddums. Put up a physical barrier - they ain't going to want to hit that.

Armco not always the best solution. See Le Mans this year when the driver who hit it died.

Pirelli did say that all the cars which suffered failures were running the rear tyres the wrong way round :rolleyes:

They do however they forgot to tell the teams they were asymmetric and could only be put on the cars one way round

I think the teams knew that all too well and decided to mount them back-to-front in order to get more heat into them quickly.

The teams forgot to factor in the directional attitude of the steel belts.

Now the important question. Did the teams ignore the directional advice and were, in effect, running their cars illegally ?

Pirelli changed the bonding agent in the compound for the British Grand Prix coincidence :dk:

I think the teams knew that all too well and decided to mount them back-to-front in order to get more heat into them quickly.

The teams forgot to factor in the directional attitude of the steel belts.

Now the important question. Did the teams ignore the directional advice and were, in effect, running their cars illegally ?

I do not believe that there was any rule breaking here. As you say some teams had worked out that by changing the tyres over that could get better performance from them. Unfortunately they never discussed this with the kerbs at turn 4.

If the teams knowingly fitted the tyres the wrong way round and didn't understand that they were directional (which I very much doubt), how come they haven't done it before if there is some sort of advantage in doing so?

Have Pirelli actually come out with any statement?

Good old Raikonnen reckons he will race regardless, the rest have no balls.

*BREAKING NEWS*

All the drivers have now pulled out, seems they heard that the German circuit was good for overtaking...

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom