German Translation Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbjeppm

MB Enthusiast
Car
C207 E Coupe 350cdi, W166 ML 250 Cdi Sport, R171 SLK 350, Suzuki V Strom DL650
:p Digging through my document wallet for my W208, I have found a German Mercedes document that is called:

EWG-Übereinstimmungsbescheinigung.

Could one of our German speaking forum members enlighten me, I tried a few internet translators, but no luck.

Thanks

goog;e german/english dictionary and look it up:rolleyes:

"Conformity certificate"

(Google Translation)

I did try that first, but all of the ones I have tried, if they try at all, give me something meaningless.

It is some sort of Mercedes official document, and is a fairly technical term, hence the difficulty in auto translation.

"Conformity certificate"

(Google Translation)

Thanks, that makes a bit more sense, although it is the first time I have seen one of these. It certainly lays out in german the VIN, NO of seats, engine no, seat belts, emission info, height, weight etc

Robert,

From my little experience, when I was in the Army I stayed in Germany and Cyprus for a couple of years. And we had an entitlement to buy tax free motors there. The certificate of conformity is quite an importanat doc in both Cyprus and Germany, you could not register cars with their version of the DVLA without a COC form.

I am not sure if they really have a use over here, I have certainly never needed it. Some manufacturers such as BMW do not even issue them, I had to request one from them to export my car to Cyprus, as without it I could not have registered my car there.

So just throw it in the bin!

Terry

BTW. Only joking about binning the form!

EWG-Übereinstimmungsbescheinigung.

The word is far too long, whatever the translation! :D ;) :p

Robert,

From my little experience, when I was in the Army I stayed in Germany and Cyprus for a couple of years. And we had an entitlement to buy tax free motors there. The certificate of conformity is quite an importanat doc in both Cyprus and Germany, you could not register cars with their version of the DVLA without a COC form.

I am not sure if they really have a use over here, I have certainly never needed it. Some manufacturers such as BMW do not even issue them, I had to request one from them to export my car to Cyprus, as without it I could not have registered my car there.

So just throw it in the bin!

Terry

BTW. Only joking about binning the form!

Thanks this is actually very useful. I have never seen one of these before for other Mercs I have owned. Anyway it has always worried me that my car is a March 2000 car, but was not registered until March 2001.

It is a full UK car sold through Mercedes Diplomatic Sales, and I have always assumed that it was on Diplomatic plates for its first year, hence no need for VED.

This Certificate of Conformity is stamped by DVLA in Wimbledon on March 2001.

So I assume it is additional provenance in this scenario, and helps confirm my assumption.

It is the German version of the EU Certificate of Conformity in terms of type approval

Should you or a future owner ever want to get the vehicle registered in an EU state other than that in which it is already registered it will be needed.

"EWG" is the abbreviation for Europäische Wirtschaftsgemeinschaft: that is the EEC in our terms

This is direct from a German colleague:

email said:
That means, this is a paper, which allows you to registrate the car in the EU. If you do not have this COC paper, you need for registration the "Vollgutachten § 21StVZO", which takes a lot of time and around 100 - 500 € charges. It is a important document, which is requested if you sell or buy a car into/from a foreign country. Usually you got this document when you buy a car. It is given from the company who build the car, for excample Mercedes gives this to the 1. st owner of the car. It has to be passed to all the other further owner, you don´t get it twice or a second time from Mercedes (or VW, Volvo a.s.o.)

typical German language; far too long a word for beef labelling methinks. though i do like the way german 'builds' the word - not too much changce of misunderstanding when its that long - also bugger all chance of finding it in a dictionary though!

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz :devil:

typical German language; far too long a word for beef labelling methinks.

It means beef marking and labelling supervision delegation law.

though i do like the way german 'builds' the word

In German, as in Dutch, it is common and normal to build "new" words based on other nouns. Yes, concatenation happens in English too, but in Dutch and German it is taken to a different level :devil:.

And to show that it can be done in Dutch:

kindercarnavalsoptochtvoorbereidingswerkzaamheden

:devil: ;)

not too much changce of misunderstanding when its that long

:devil:

also bugger all chance of finding it in a dictionary though!

In fairness, a lot of the composed nouns will be in a dictionary, if they are commonly enough used that is. But of course the principle means that you can always create much more new words than dictionaries can keep up with. :D

It means beef marking and labelling supervision delegation law.

In German, as in Dutch, it is common and normal to build "new" words based on other nouns. Yes, concatenation happens in English too, but in Dutch and German it is taken to a different level :devil:.

And to show that it can be done in Dutch:

kindercarnavalsoptochtvoorbereidingswerkzaamheden

:devil: ;)

:devil:

In fairness, a lot of the composed nouns will be in a dictionary, if they are commonly enough used that is. But of course the principle means that you can always create much more new words than dictionaries can keep up with. :D

You sure it not because they don't use puntuation and leave gaps between workd likewotwedo:D :D

As you had loads of replies with the same answer and then subtly hijacked, heres my tuppence worth.

I use Bable Fish to translate -its answer is slightly different

"EEC compliance certificate."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom