German Vehicle Taxation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Donbronski

Hi,

Does anyone know much about the German road/vehicle Tax?

I've been told it is outrageously expensive, my German friend says Tax for a 500SEL would cost £1200!!!

THIS CAN NOT BE TRUE!!!

I mean he's a good enough bloke but I'm sure he's having me on, no?

Does someone know of a web link?

Thanks, Don

I don`t know about germany.but in ireland is about that price or maybe even more.

Did you sort out that anti roll bar?

Did you sort out that anti roll bar?

Not yet, I'm planning a trip to the local breakers yard this weekend or next. I have fitted some Sportline shocks which has helped a little :thumb:

For a 1980's or early 90's W126 500SEL I think you're looking at an annual German tax of 1268 Euros.

Nothing like keeping it simple.................:wallbash::wallbash::

Nothing like keeping it simple.................:wallbash::wallbash::

Isn't the intention rather to make people buy new cars than making it simple. :)
Also makes old cars with big engines cheap to buy from Germany to be used at many other countries with more favourable taxes.

Be careful though when buying such an old car and possibly driving in some German cities later on.

I don't know the details but a colleague in Norway told me it's extremely expensive to runa diesel car there as he would have to buy some kind of permit and they cost in excess of £1000. Norway plans to ban diesels from 2015.

Quote: ..............."Norway plans to ban diesels from 2015".

Not entirely true without a degree of explanation...........

Read this first............

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2009/0429/1224245586916.html

There is a proposal put forward in Norway to ban the sales of ALL diesel AND petrol only cars after 2015.
Note the use of the word "Proposal".
Hybrid cars will still be allowed. So all a car maker has to to do is install a small hybrid train for occasional use and it will be allowed. Quite possibly the hybrid part will never be used in most cars. A rather silly and expensive addition which is a waste of money and resources.
However, the article does go on to say that its "unlikely the proposal will be adopted".

Last edited:
Diesels are taxed much more heavily in Germany (according to my wife).

My German friend also says Taxes on wages is 53%.

I used to moan about UK Tax, now i feel a little proud.

Thanks for your replies:thumb:

Quote: ..............."Norway plans to ban diesels from 2015".

Not entirely true without a degree of explanation...........

Read this first............

Norway: plan to ban petrol, diesel cars by 2015 - The Irish Times - Wed, Apr 29, 2009

There is a proposal put forward in Norway to ban the sales of ALL diesel AND petrol only cars after 2015.
Note the use of the word "Proposal".
Hybrid cars will still be allowed. So all a car maker has to to do is install a small hybrid train for occasional use and it will be allowed. Quite possibly the hybrid part will never be used in most cars. A rather silly and expensive addition which is a waste of money and resources.
However, the article does go on to say that its "unlikely the proposal will be adopted".

Lunacy...

Last edited:
I find this confusing -- my car was registered Dec 2005 but I know it is Euro 4 emissions because it was a company car and euro 4 didn't have the extra 3% added to the tax band. My company allowed us to have cars in Dec because the 3% was removed in January 2006..

But according to the website my car should be yellow as it is Dec 05 but it is euro 4 so why not green....

German Road Tax are very expensive.

Especially for older, big engined cars, like the S class etc.

Some of these cars will not be allowed to go inside certain cities (ie Berlin/Cologne) as they are classed as being too dirty.

My Classic Volvo 780 from 1987 has no catalyst and thus, are not allowed. Of course, the only people who could give you a fine are the police and they don't always check.... but they do check. I have seen them....

As for tax on my old car, it would be aropund €480 a year, alot more than the £180 I paid here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom