Germany - C Class - Snow?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blassberg

Car
ex C320CDI, ex SLK200K, Sharing Their Saxo 1.1i !!, Her SLK200K, His ZX6R
Heading off to Winterberg in Feb. Webcams show little snow but there is an official snow warning from 22 Jan followed by rain and freezing, so ice.

Previously friends travelling with us have managed in their V5 passat or Audi Avant 2WD but my first 2WD trip.

Please can anybody advise on laws / requirements / experience re winter tyres, snow chains?

Much appreciated.

Winter reifen I beleive they call them!
Winter tyres to me and you. An absolute yes yes!

I think there are many threads on this but,
- winter tyres are a generalised tyre for winter, they are not specifically snow tyres
- there is no law yet making them mandatory but a German insurance company will be less inclined to pay out of you have an accident and it is found that you do not have winter tyres.
- they are not a magic solution, just designed for lower tempeaturres and poor conditions
- many people do not bother but all those with common sense and a sense of repsonsibility dutifully put their winter tyres on in October

BonzoDog said:
I think there are many threads on this but,
- there is no law yet making them mandatory but a German insurance company will be less inclined to pay out of you have an accident and it is found that you do not have winter tyres.

Sorry, not the case from this winter: If there is snow on the ground and you are stopped by the police with summer tyres you will get a 40 Euro fine.

Drove over Winterberg last year on New Years day with summer tyres in my C class, and it was very slippery indeed. Got overtaken by an old Fiat Panda!!:crazy:

thanks guys - some very basic follow ons

not chains then and does winter tyre mean higher profile and different rubber? ie you are not talking tyres with studs in?

blassberg said:
thanks guys - some very basic follow ons

not chains then and does winter tyre mean higher profile and different rubber? ie you are not talking tyres with studs in?
Winter tyres come in similar sizes and speed ratings as summer and all-seasons (except for some extremes), the main differences are tread pattern (optimised for grip in snow or wet) and rubber compound (optimised for temperatures < 7°c).

You can use winter tyres all year around, the only problems are that they may wear more in summer, will make more noise and might not grip the same as summer or all seasons if you like to drive your car to the limits!

blassberg said:
you are not talking tyres with studs in?

Correct - softer rubber, and different tread pattern. My in-laws came over on Friday, and they have their winter tyres (on plain steel rims) on. I believe the requirements vary depending on the part of Germany, but where they are (near Stuttgart) are it's a legal requirement rather than an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom