Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street Documentary on BBC Radio 4.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Source. BBC Radio 4 website.

Gerry Rafferty's glorious and instantly recognisable hit, Baker Street launches the new series of Soul Music on BBC Radio 4.

Rafferty died just over a year ago (on January 4th 2011) at the age of 63, and to mark the anniversary we're celebrating his most popular hit.

His daughter Martha Rafferty recalls hearing her father develop the melody in the attic of their Glasgow home; the sound of him picking-out the tune on his acoustic guitar would drift through the push-up attic-door, filling the rest of the house with what would become his biggest hit. She describes the inspiration for the lyrics: a book called 'The Outsider' by Colin Wilson which Rafferty was reading at the time. It's about the sense of disconnection from the world that artists often feel. Martha regards Baker Street as the lyrical version of that book.

Listen to the documentary HERE.

Worth it just to listen to Ian's wonderfully rich Barnsley accent - that's saying something considering I'm a Lancastrian!

For those who didn't see it [ it was only on BBC2 SCOTLAND last night :(] there was also a concert in his memory as a part of the great CELTIC CONNECTIONS festival. Celtic Connections | Celtic Connections 2012 It features a range of contemporary artists such as Rab Noakes, Barbara Dickson Ron Sexsmith and the Proclaimers and members of his family. BBC iPlayer - Celtic Connections: Gerry Rafferty Remembered

Keep an eye out for the lead guitarist and sax player.:thumb:

Fantastic. I thoroughly enjoyed everything about that show. :thumb:

Keep an eye out for the lead guitarist and sax player.:thumb: __________________

Somebody you know well, Graeme?

Keep an eye out for the lead guitarist and sax player.:thumb: __________________

Somebody you know well, Graeme?

' Fraid not. I was however very impressed with all the backing musicians. I particularly liked their input on the Proclaimers version of "City to City" towards the end. :cool:

For those who missed the initial airing, a repeat of the program appeared on BBC Radio 4 Soul Music yesterday afternoon. :cool:

LINK.

Last edited:
There was a great documentary on BBC4 about three weeks ago called "Right down the line"; Worth looking out for. I always identified with Night Owl.

Last edited:
As I'm listening to it right now, I'll unashamedly bump this thread.

It's great to have this documentary on in the background (I treat it almost like an album now) if busy at the desk or in the workshop.

Oh, and I like the look (and sound) of Martha Rafferty.

LINK.

I have been listening to the soul music series again.

I was pleased to find a real gem about a fantastic song - Wichita Lineman. LINK.

BBC Radio 4 - Soul Music, Series 12, Wichita Lineman

I don't watch much TV and would be lost without BBC Radio 4. Long may it continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom