Get back on road !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jlk

Car
Bmw
Can I just start by saying a big hello,,, I'm sure you all can offer me advice,,, 7 years ago I parked my r129 in my garage and due to curcumstances,, it adnt moved since,,,, I'd like to get her back up and running,,,, battery been on trickle charge but flat,,, was new before being parked up,, what else should I get done before attempting to start, move her,,, cheers in advance, jane

Flush out the fuel system with fresh fuel.
Flush through fresh brake fluid
Check the tyres, are they still round? Any cracks or bulges? Pressure held ok?
Fit a new battery.
Change the engine oil.
Check the coolant level.
Are the brakes discs corroded? Do the wheels spin freely?

Flush out the fuel system with fresh fuel.
Flush through fresh brake fluid
Check the tyres, are they still round? Any cracks or bulges? Pressure held ok?
Fit a new battery.
Change the engine oil.
Check the coolant level.
Are the brakes discs corroded? Do the wheels spin freely?
It was serviced before being parked up,,, disc have light rust,,, it can be pushed afew feet forward and backwards,,, limited space,,,, sounds like the best option will be to get a garage recover it, and do the work,, would it hurt if I put fresh fuel in and see if she starts,,?,,

Even though you can’t really do a proper oil change without first starting the engine and warming it up , it would probably be better to drain the old oil from the sump , add fresh oil to the correct level , and before attempting to start , remove the spark plugs , put a SMALL amount of oil into each cylinder , and crank the engine round by hand .

Then , with spark plugs still out , crank it over on the starter a few times , before putting the plugs back in .

This would give it some lubrication before starting after such a long time .

Also worth changing the coolant , with a flushing agent before putting fresh stuff in .

Check all rubber drive belts , radiator hoses and other parts which may be perished .

For safety , I’d consider the tyres to be shot ; I just recommissioned a W140 with a set of tyres which had been stored about 10 years , and they deteriorated within a very short time , so were replaced .

Don’t , whatever you do , try to jump start a R129 - you’ll fry some of the modules , especially the very expensive roof controller . On that subject , syringe all the old hydraulic fluid out of the reservoir under the spare wheel , and refill with fresh ZHM fluid .

Expect the soft top may need multiple attempts and much perseverance to get working again after a long layup . Keep trying it , maybe work back and forward by hand - it will come back - you will also need to reset the door windows after a battery change , otherwise the roof won’t work .

They are lovely cars and well worth the effort .

Even though you can’t really do a proper oil change without first starting the engine and warming it up , it would probably be better to drain the old oil from the sump , add fresh oil to the correct level , and before attempting to start , remove the spark plugs , put a SMALL amount of oil into each cylinder , and crank the engine round by hand .

Then , with spark plugs still out , crank it over on the starter a few times , before putting the plugs back in .

This would give it some lubrication before starting after such a long time .

Also worth changing the coolant , with a flushing agent before putting fresh stuff in .

Check all rubber drive belts , radiator hoses and other parts which may be perished .

For safety , I’d consider the tyres to be shot ; I just recommissioned a W140 with a set of tyres which had been stored about 10 years , and they deteriorated within a very short time , so were replaced .

Don’t , whatever you do , try to jump start a R129 - you’ll fry some of the modules , especially the very expensive roof controller . On that subject , syringe all the old hydraulic fluid out of the reservoir under the spare wheel , and refill with fresh ZHM fluid .

Expect the soft top may need multiple attempts and much perseverance to get working again after a long layup . Keep trying it , maybe work back and forward by hand - it will come back - you will also need to reset the door windows after a battery change , otherwise the roof won’t work .

They are lovely cars and well worth the effort .
How do i reset the windows???, think it's going to have to be sorted at a garage as its way to complicated for me to sort,,, hopefully it want cost a arm n leg to sort,,, I'll keep all the information that's been provided, to get some quotes,,,,

There are 2 local indies near you. Probably worth talking to them. I don't know them personally but they seem to have good reputations

Reactions: 219
How do i reset the windows???, think it's going to have to be sorted at a garage as its way to complicated for me to sort,,, hopefully it want cost a arm n leg to sort,,, I'll keep all the information that's been provided, to get some quotes,,,,
For the windows , you press the switch part way to lower them ‘manually’ then when they reach the fully down position press the switch fully ( to the auto lower position) and hold it pressed for 10 seconds - this ‘teaches’ the controller module that the windows are fully down . Once this is done , the windows communicate with the roof controller which needs to sense the windows are down before the roof can be raised or lowered .

Yes , if you have a competent garage , it would be worth getting them to do all this .

Hi and welcome. It's an R129 that has been standing for seven years...granted it might not cost you an 'arm and a leg'...but it is going to cost..
Keep us up to date on it and well done for resurrecting it from it's slumbers :thumb:

Reactions: 219
Hi and welcome. It's an R129 that has been standing for seven years...granted it might not cost you an 'arm and a leg'...but it is going to cost..
Keep us up to date on it and well done for resurrecting it from it's slumbers :thumb:
Yes ile keep you posted,,,, and thanks for all the info received,,

Yes ile keep you posted,,,, and thanks for all the info received,,
Afew pics of my sleeping beauty,,,

Attachments

• bf85a192bfb29871e88cb0c1f88e76e5.0.jpg
    bf85a192bfb29871e88cb0c1f88e76e5.0.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 3fe918a27262df3d646253a611449f27.0.jpg
    3fe918a27262df3d646253a611449f27.0.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 27
  • da793e45a1f8e96f4b4fa8de2e752505.0.jpg
    da793e45a1f8e96f4b4fa8de2e752505.0.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 27
Came across this in answering another query , although a different model , I think you will find it relevant

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom