Get Those House Cylinder Locks Changed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
In the last couple of weeks I've been made aware of car thefts via key thefts from property, including a neighbour, a cousin, and an E63 owner.

All were stolen by crooks snapping the Eurocylinder locks on front/patio/rear doors, where the locks can be snapped in seconds, before entering the house to steal the keys - one in broad daylight.

These (or similar) will help and can be fitted by a DIYer in minutes:

ABS High Security Door Cylinder - 3 Star TS007 kitemark, SS 312 Diamond Rated

Get them changed...

Just get the cylinder swapped to the anti bump type, John! I've been in the trade over 25yrs & this type are far superior to the type you mention that you can be snapped.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

They are designed to snap Ian, but in the right place.

Got a link to the anti bump ones that are better than 3 star TS007 with Kitemark?

Last edited:
Just to confirm, replacement eurocylinders are very straightforward to replace. I fitted ABUS E90 locks to 3 conservatory doors a couple of years ago. They are 3 star kitemarked, and described as anti bump and anti snap as well. Think the standard is called TS007 2014.

Last edited:
Those ABS locks take seconds to change, did this myself a few months back. A nice side effect of these locks is the horizontal slot for the key- I find it way easier to find the hole (keep it clean! :p ) whilst fumbling in the dark.

Similar subject but does anyone reckon an alarm, be it monitored or unmonitored, is worth the cash?

Got the ABS ones on mine back and front, along with the thicker handles which can't be bent upwards for access.

There was a thread over on PH a while ago which made me aware of how vulnerable standard Euro locks can be, so I changed as much as I could.

As for breaking in and finding the car key, good luck with that. I've not been able to find it myself for nearly a week now. I must have put it somewhere safe... :(

ETA: Yep, those are what I now have. :)

Last edited:
As our sliding patio door is not a final exit door, it has no handle or lock on the outside, for this reason.

Another security thought, do your UPVC windows have the beadings that hold the glass in on the outside? If so, it's very easy to soundlessly remove the glass unit to gain entry. This was demonstrated to me yesterday when I helped to remove one (thankfully with internal beads!) in order to bring a large sofa indoors...

I've got 5 of those Euro locks on external doors. Are we saying that no standard locks are any good even if recently fitted.

I suppose a determined burglar can always get into your house one way or another. The best precaution is to live somewhere safe with a very low crime rate.

As our sliding patio door is not a final exit door, it has no handle or lock on the outside, for this reason.

Another security thought, do your UPVC windows have the beadings that hold the glass in on the outside? If so, it's very easy to soundlessly remove the glass unit to gain entry. This was demonstrated to me yesterday when I helped to remove one (thankfully with internal beads!) in order to bring a large sofa indoors...

Externally beaded windows have a tape holding the glass in (in theory at least). I had to change a broken unit that was externally beaded and taped in - took me bl**dy ages to get the old one off the tape :crazy:.

Last edited:
I've got 5 of those Euro locks on external doors. Are we saying that no standard locks are any good even if recently fitted.

I suppose a determined burglar can always get into your house one way or another. The best precaution is to live somewhere safe with a very low crime rate.

Video I just watched states anything pre 2008 has the weakness. Any locks fitted after this date should be the new, secure type.

My understanding is that the face of the barrel has a visible 3 stars *** and either a BS Kite Mark or a diamond on it.

If these aren't on it, it's not to the standard of the locks in my OP link.

However, that's not conclusive proof as there are many manufacturers.

Looks very useful info. I'll be attending to the doors as soon as we "take delivery" of our new

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

We changed the locks at work recently (a precaution after falling out with our cleaners) and went for the ABS ones like in the first post.

The advantage for us is that we have 2 units and the locks can be ordered "keyed alike" so one key gets us into both buildings. As I had to get a bunch of keys cut (there are 12 of us and we all have key) this saved a few bob.

The doors don't have handles (well, they do, but not as part of the locking mechanism) and the locks have big sturdy escutcheons fitted. Good luck to anyone trying to snap them.

At the end of the day anyone really wanting to get in will hoof a brieze block through one of the glass door panels and gain entry that way, but the new locks will hopefully put off a casual burglar to the extent they'll go next door and have a go at theirs instead. The locks and keys came to about £170 IIRC so it wasn't a huge expense in the great scheme of things.

One of my colleagues has already managed to lose his key, however. Why do I bother..

Cheers,

Gaz

Externally beaded windows have a tape holding the glass in (in theory at least). I had to change a broken unit that was externally beaded and taped in - took me bl**dy ages to get the old one off the tape :crazy:.

Ours are externally beaded but you have to take the inner rubber seal off first to push the glass inwards to make space to release the beading. Even then it's still awkward to release the beads.

I guess they could be forced off from outside using brute force but it would likely break the window so they might as well smash it in the first place.

At the end of the day anyone really wanting to get in will hoof a brieze block through one of the glass door panels and gain entry that way, but the new locks will hopefully put off a casual burglar to the extent they'll go next door and have a go at theirs instead.
That's pretty much the long and short of it. Someone determined enough will find a way in; opportunists will look for the easiest target, so the objective is to make your property harder to access than something similar next door. I suspect that even the most simple-minded burglars prefer not to draw attention to their activities, so busting a glass panel (btw, have you ever tried to bust a double glazed unit? It's harder than you think) is not at the top of their preferred methods to gain access.

That's pretty much the long and short of it. Someone determined enough will find a way in; opportunists will look for the easiest target, so the objective is to make your property harder to access than something similar next door. I suspect that even the most simple-minded burglars prefer not to draw attention to their activities, so busting a glass panel (btw, have you ever tried to bust a double glazed unit? It's harder than you think) is not at the top of their preferred methods to gain access.

Absolutely, and the area of key/vehicle theft I'm concerned about tends to rely on stealth, not breaking glass or smashing the feck out of a more secure door lock.

(btw, have you ever tried to bust a double glazed unit? It's harder than you think)

It is indeed. I managed to lock myself out once so I picked a window that was due for replacement and hit it with a 4ft length of 3x2 from the shed. It took a lot of force and I was picking up little bits of glass for weeks afterwards. This was broad daylight and not a peep out of any of the neighbours. If they had called the Police would they respond and even if they did how long would it take.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom