Getting a ferry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ade B

MB Enthusiast
Car
2006 Accord Tourer iCDTI EX
Anyone know off the top of their head the price difference between booking a ferry in advance and turning up on the day (or booking the day before).

Cheers,

Ade

From the ones that I have used, Sweden, Denmark and Germany the price has been the same. I have got cheaper crossings from France to England, but not the other way round. I think that Euro tunnel do last minute deals

Well, the Arran Ferry is the same price in advance or on the day, however if you're a regular traveller it is significantly cheaper to buy a six journey ticket c. 20%. Of course, if you're not going to Arran on a regular basis, this post won't be particularly relevant.

I agree with Tv. I've done it both ways and can't say I've noticed any difference, although once I'm sure the cabin was cheaper 'on spec', cost £13.

I found the difference to be huge.

In fact I could have saved £150 one way by booking the crossing online from the car park outside the booking office in Calais using my blackberry.

Never again will I make that mistake!

Book online always if using the dover calais route is my advice.

I found the difference to be huge.

In fact I could have saved £150 one way by booking the crossing online from the car park outside the booking office in Calais using my blackberry.

Never again will I make that mistake!

Book online always if using the dover calais route is my advice.

You saved £150 what was that on a 50ft caravan :confused:

Try P&O Here

Key in your dates and times and it gives you a price but also shows all the cheapest ferry prices 2 days either side.

What I do not get is the say the going through the tunnel at 9pm can be ½ the price of 8pm or 10 pm

Whatever you do, don't use Ferrysavers. Good prices if nothing goes wrong. If, however, they mess up and book the wrong tickets then it's chocolate fireguard time.

I was stranded in France and needed to get home, but the ticket I was given was invalid. Couldn't get through on any of their phone numbers so had to spend £100 on a new ticket.

The hassle I got trying to have this refunded was immense, and they made me feel like a whinger for doing so- No apology, nothing. A cheque after about 3 months of constant badgering.

Anyone know off the top of their head the price difference between booking a ferry in advance and turning up on the day (or booking the day before).

Cheers,

Ade

SeaFrance and P&O keep posting really good offers in popular national papers especially Express and Mail. Hard to beat these.

Also as you drive into Dover there is a discount shop on the left shortly before the ferries (I forget name but it says discounts ferries etc) and that can be very cheap.

Once you have travelled with SeaFrance they send you regular offers. Never hear from P&O.

Oh, worth noting that its worth every penny to upgrade to executive lounge or whatever its called. Its only a fiver or something but includes free champagne and tea or coffee and nibbles (I even got a massage), and best of all it means you are away from the hoards of booze and tobacco smugglers who seem to preoccupy most of the crossings.

I tend to use Norfolk Line Dover to Dunkirk http://www.norfolkline.com/ferry/
their rates aren't bad,and they don't carry coaches so they're no inundated with hordes of school kids or pensioners;) Though I still always pay the extra to use the first class lounge rather than travel with the hoi polloy:D

Oh, worth noting that its worth every penny to upgrade to executive lounge or whatever its called. Its only a fiver or something but includes free champagne and tea or coffee and nibbles (I even got a massage), and best of all it means you are away from the hoards of booze and tobacco smugglers who seem to preoccupy most of the crossings.

Sp!ke, I'm surprised you bother :confused:

Why don't you just rack the 'bike up to 190 and leap the channel :eek:

Thanks all

We are taking two weeks in June, not sure we will go yet (camping) so we'll follow the weather - hopefully to France.

Booked plenty of crossings before, but I want to leave it to the last minute to decide. Last time I booked a ferry for the bike, something turned up and I never used the ticket - they kept it open for me for about a year..

Ade

This is great advice! I have done the same thing on the ferry to Holland and instead of fighting for a seat you get access to the "panorama lounge" where you get free papers, coffee/tea and a leather armchair to sit in. It was something like £8 for the upgrade but on a 3.5 hour ferry trip you could easily spend that on drinks alone.

There's a quite good campsite in Ouistreham - I used this as a base when I did a trip to the Normandy Beaches (Grandfather helped out on Sword)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom