Getting an EQC in a few weeks time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fuzzys

Car
Mercedes
Hi just to let you know that after 7+ years from owning a Mercedes B Class we are now purchasing an EQC. due to COVID-19 how will the new process of a hand over be like and what do I have to look for when we see the car?

Which model and what options did you choose?

Which model and what options did you choose?
Hi it’s the AMG Line without the driver assistance package in metallic grey. Does this car come with an electric steering column or is it manually adjustable. It’s basically one up from the sport.

good grief, the configurator tells you nothing does it! At that price, you’d like to think it would have the full memory option but they ain’t saying are they!

Hi just to let you know that after 7+ years from owning a Mercedes B Class we are now purchasing an EQC. due to COVID-19 how will the new process of a hand over be like and what do I have to look for when we see the car?
I picked up my EQC 31/10/20 from Mercedes Brooklands. Handover was very fast, as is the process of form filling is all done on an iPad now. I have purchased from the sales girl before, so she didn't have to go through the normal lengthy introduction to the car. She just handed me the key and off I went. So far this is the best car I have owned (leased). I absolutely love it, it was like an instant bond. My last 3 cars W222 350d, C217 S63 Coupe Audi A8 50d. All of them promised much, but the only the EQC has delivered. It is quite, fast (without fuss), well equipped with the new MBUX. I have only done 500 miles, so early feedback only. Range about 200 miles. I have another car for distance if we go to France. You will love it.
Wh did you go for the EQC? I hated the Audi (very unreliable even tho was less than 2 years old and 15k miles) and the government are being very generous with taxation for electric company cars. So I had a go with the EQC and didn't expect to like it so much, let alone be blown away.

Bit of a comedown after an S-class, an S63 and an A8, isn't it? Not something I'd be prepared to countenance, but plainly suits your usage (commute into London, by any chance?) What did the others promise, but fail to deliver, that the EQC delivers?

Bit of a comedown after an S-class, an S63 and an A8, isn't it? Not something I'd be prepared to countenance, but plainly suits your usage (commute into London, by any chance?) What did the others promise, but fail to deliver, that the EQC delivers?
I bought the S class 350 Feb 2014 (early production) coming from a 7 series. It was fantastic, but very quickly started to have a multitude of rattles. Manufacturers issued a kit for the front seats to eliminate the creaking. Door panels off multiple times for rattles. I did just over 20k miles and it was a bit boring and the range wasn't great. My colleague has a 2015 (not a facelift) and that doesn't have any rattles. I then got the AMG and guess what. 2 sections of the wood trim were replaced because of creaking. It was never completely devoid of rattles, never felt like the bespoke expensive experience it should have been. Not to mention it used to genuinely give me range anxiety lol. I had a PCP on the AMG and didn't want to buy it outright after 24 months of ownership (£24k per year depreciation). I then went into the A8 as it was cheap (relatively speaking). Only had that for 15 months. It is a better drive the the 350, better tech, way more economical but did not look special or make me feel special. It felt more like an E class than an S. It proved to be very unreliable. An LED stopped working in the headliner. Than involved 3 weeks in the garage and a new headliner installed (windscreen out). Noisy transmission was never resolved, although very evident.They were talking about a new auto box. I think the EQC is built extremely well, they really wanted it to work. It is quieter than an S Class below 40mph, standard acoustic glass. Performance is instant. I never imagined I would like it so much. In 8 months my wife's GLC is 3 years old and we either buy it or give it back. I was anticipating 8 months in the EQC and then handing it on to the wife. But at the moment (this could change), I think I will stay in the EQC

I bought the S class 350 Feb 2014 (early production) coming from a 7 series. It was fantastic, but very quickly started to have a multitude of rattles. Manufacturers issued a kit for the front seats to eliminate the creaking. Door panels off multiple times for rattles. I did just over 20k miles and it was a bit boring and the range wasn't great. My colleague has a 2015 (not a facelift) and that doesn't have any rattles. I then got the AMG and guess what. 2 sections of the wood trim were replaced because of creaking. It was never completely devoid of rattles, never felt like the bespoke expensive experience it should have been. Not to mention it used to genuinely give me range anxiety lol. I had a PCP on the AMG and didn't want to buy it outright after 24 months of ownership (£24k per year depreciation). I then went into the A8 as it was cheap (relatively speaking). Only had that for 15 months. It is a better drive the the 350, better tech, way more economical but did not look special or make me feel special. It felt more like an E class than an S. It proved to be very unreliable. An LED stopped working in the headliner. Than involved 3 weeks in the garage and a new headliner installed (windscreen out). Noisy transmission was never resolved, although very evident.They were talking about a new auto box. I think the EQC is built extremely well, they really wanted it to work. It is quieter than an S Class below 40mph, standard acoustic glass. Performance is instant. I never imagined I would like it so much. In 8 months my wife's GLC is 3 years old and we either buy it or give it back. I was anticipating 8 months in the EQC and then handing it on to the wife. But at the moment (this could change), I think I will stay in the EQC
His and hers EQC maybe?

No his and hers EQC lol. ALready feels a bit strange having a GLC. Experience my first fast charge today Cobham M25 services. Very fast, very expensive 69p per KW. 12p from home.

I picked up my EQC 31/10/20 from Mercedes Brooklands. Handover was very fast, as is the process of form filling is all done on an iPad now. I have purchased from the sales girl before, so she didn't have to go through the normal lengthy introduction to the car. She just handed me the key and off I went. So far this is the best car I have owned (leased). I absolutely love it, it was like an instant bond. My last 3 cars W222 350d, C217 S63 Coupe Audi A8 50d. All of them promised much, but the only the EQC has delivered. It is quite, fast (without fuss), well equipped with the new MBUX. I have only done 500 miles, so early feedback only. Range about 200 miles. I have another car for distance if we go to France. You will love it.
Wh did you go for the EQC? I hated the Audi (very unreliable even tho was less than 2 years old and 15k miles) and the government are being very generous with taxation for electric company cars. So I had a go with the EQC and didn't expect to like it so much, let alone be blown away.
Which version and options did you choose.

Which version and options did you choose.
Obsidian Black, premium plus. I believe it to be the highest spec. I didn't have a choice of colour as I wanted a car ready to go and in that specification. I contacted Brooklands on Friday afternoon and picked it up Saturday at 5pm. Aaron at Brooklands (female) went above and beyond. Make sure you have enough time to sit with someone when you pick it up, to get your ME card registered so that you can use public charging. I went for 2 years Polar Network membership and didn't bother with the wall charger option. You have a choice of either. I went for my own wall box (Anderson 2), because after a week I still hadn't even received a call from the Mercedes wall box people.

I bought the S class 350 Feb 2014 (early production) coming from a 7 series. It was fantastic, but very quickly started to have a multitude of rattles. Manufacturers issued a kit for the front seats to eliminate the creaking. Door panels off multiple times for rattles. I did just over 20k miles and it was a bit boring and the range wasn't great. My colleague has a 2015 (not a facelift) and that doesn't have any rattles. I then got the AMG and guess what. 2 sections of the wood trim were replaced because of creaking. It was never completely devoid of rattles, never felt like the bespoke expensive experience it should have been. Not to mention it used to genuinely give me range anxiety lol. I had a PCP on the AMG and didn't want to buy it outright after 24 months of ownership (£24k per year depreciation).

I wonder if where the S was made has a bearing. I've got a pre-facelift 222 S500 and it's very-well built and solid (even after a large audio upgrade) albeit it was made in Sindelfingen - so I presume cars built there to be better although I would think the S63 would be so doesn't seem to be consistent.

I wonder if where the S was made has a bearing. I've got a pre-facelift 222 S500 and it's very-well built and solid (even after a large audio upgrade) albeit it was made in Sindelfingen - so I presume cars built there to be better although I would think the S63 would be so doesn't seem to be consistent.
As I said my colleague's 2015 S350d is rattle free. My first (Feb 2014 - may as well say late 2013) S had the lift up pad revealing the telephone keypad, my colleagues has a touchpad in its place. So I know they did work even before the facelift. My wifes GLC (2018) rattle free and my EQC built on the same production line as the GLC is rattle free.

I had an S500 for a 3-day loaner. I was blown away by the silence and speed. It wasn't terrible for fuel either if treated nicely. Laminated glass all round I think standard. What year is your S500?

Obsidian Black, premium plus. I believe it to be the highest spec. I didn't have a choice of colour as I wanted a car ready to go and in that specification. I contacted Brooklands on Friday afternoon and picked it up Saturday at 5pm. Aaron at Brooklands (female) went above and beyond. Make sure you have enough time to sit with someone when you pick it up, to get your ME card registered so that you can use public charging. I went for 2 years Polar Network membership and didn't bother with the wall charger option. You have a choice of either. I went for my own wall box (Anderson 2), because after a week I still hadn't even received a call from the Mercedes wall box people.
Nice, congratulations. Unfortunately my car is the amg version one above the sport. We didn’t have a choice as that was on special offer. Our electric charger is getting installed by pod point. We are getting it delivered on Thursday and we don’t know which group or branch it has been purchased from as it’s from the nhs. Will let you know what’s happening.

Nice, congratulations. Unfortunately my car is the amg version one above the sport. We didn’t have a choice as that was on special offer. Our electric charger is getting installed by pod point. We are getting it delivered on Thursday and we don’t know which group or branch it has been purchased from as it’s from the nhs. Will let you know what’s happening.
Spec aside, you have an identical car to mine and it is fantastic. You will love it. I won't be getting my wall box for another 5 weeks, but haven't really needed one now I have registered with the fast chargers. The range is ideal for my needs, but I won't be taking it to France for a break.

As I said my colleague's 2015 S350d is rattle free. My first (Feb 2014 - may as well say late 2013) S had the lift up pad revealing the telephone keypad, my colleagues has a touchpad in its place. So I know they did work even before the facelift. My wifes GLC (2018) rattle free and my EQC built on the same production line as the GLC is rattle free.

I had an S500 for a 3-day loaner. I was blown away by the silence and speed. It wasn't terrible for fuel either if treated nicely. Laminated glass all round I think standard. What year is your S500?

Yes, that wasn't to say all cars built elsewhere from Sindelfingen were not rattle-free. Maybe it's luck of the draw (and whoever is doing the work).

Having seen the S Class production line with 222s being built, it surprises me there can be any difference as a lot of it is done by machines (unless some cars have been taken apart for a problem and not put back together which is what I was alluding to about my audio upgrade but mine still has no rattles).

Mine is a late 2013 also and also has the phone instead of the black control unit. I've got MBC too so the ride quality is amazing and as you state, the silence and speed is unbelievable (the car standard is identical in performance to a standard W211 E55 AMG which I had in the past). They really are a joy to drive especially on longer journeys. I think I've seen 36 > 38mpg on a longer journey before.

Yes, that wasn't to say all cars built elsewhere from Sindelfingen were not rattle-free. Maybe it's luck of the draw (and whoever is doing the work).

Having seen the S Class production line with 222s being built, it surprises me there can be any difference as a lot of it is done by machines (unless some cars have been taken apart for a problem and not put back together which is what I was alluding to about my audio upgrade but mine still has no rattles).

Mine is a late 2013 also and also has the phone instead of the black control unit. I've got MBC too so the ride quality is amazing and as you state, the silence and speed is unbelievable (the car standard is identical in performance to a standard W211 E55 AMG which I had in the past). They really are a joy to drive especially on longer journeys. I think I've seen 36 > 38mpg on a longer journey before.
I never achieved such a good MPG in the AMG - the best I ever achieved was 26MPG. The AMG did have the MBC that would accommodate speed bumps fantastically. It would also tilt into bends (does yours do that?). If I had a choice, I would sacrifice the MPG over the diesel. The start-stop in the diesel was/is not great. The S500 is the true S Class experience, the diesel just can't pull it off. The facelift diesel does a fantastic job, a bit more horsepower, straight-six smoothness, and 2 additional gears. I had a short test drive of a Grand Addition S350d facelift. The S400d would be the pick of the bunch, but they are expensive and will tank with the imminent arrival of the new S in January. Not sure at the time of writing, what the factory denomination is for the new S. Would it be W224?

Glad you are happy with your S, at the end of the day, if your car makes you happy and feel special (an S Class should) then you are a winner.

I never achieved such a good MPG in the AMG - the best I ever achieved was 26MPG. The AMG did have the MBC that would accommodate speed bumps fantastically. It would also tilt into bends (does yours do that?). If I had a choice, I would sacrifice the MPG over the diesel. The start-stop in the diesel was/is not great. The S500 is the true S Class experience, the diesel just can't pull it off. The facelift diesel does a fantastic job, a bit more horsepower, straight-six smoothness, and 2 additional gears. I had a short test drive of a Grand Addition S350d facelift. The S400d would be the pick of the bunch, but they are expensive and will tank with the imminent arrival of the new S in January. Not sure at the time of writing, what the factory denomination is for the new S. Would it be W224?

Glad you are happy with your S, at the end of the day, if your car makes you happy and feel special (an S Class should) then you are a winner.

Those numbers were achieved driving fairly sensible driving on a motorway.

Yes, my MBC also has the "stop the other half complaining when you are pressing on round bends for fun" feature (aka anti-tilt).

I am the same with MPG. I'm sure the 350 and 400s are great to drive but I can't stand the stuff.

I have also driven a 68 plate S450L but I found the 9 speed a bit poor at changing at times (maybe software will improve), the 3.0 was a bit light on power - hopefully the new S500L running the same engine has enough hybridity to compensate and the AirMATIC on 20s was not very forgiving.

I may have been spoilt of course...

It is W223 as the current (shape we are discussing) is W222. It doesn't automatically increase like that though - we've had the C218 CLS replace the C219 CLS so clearly someone at MB likes a drink sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom