Getting electrocuted by my car everyday!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wywywywy

Car
W221 S500 SWB (S65 AMG Style)
So I'm getting zapped by my W221 nearly everyday from Spring to Autumn.

It doesn't really happen much with my other cars past and present, only the W221.

And I hate it!

Has anyone got any easy and practical idea to get rid of it please? And why does it only happen with this car?

Thanks.

Yeah, stop buying cheap rubber soled shoes and polyester clothing!! :p

This is you grounding through the car. You need to either avoid materials like fleece and polyester or get some shoes that dont have a rubber sole.

Problem solved :)

My work shoes (M&S) have leather soles! :(
Really comfy I must say.

Hardly likely to get electrocuted every day!
It's not the car - it's you. You are giving the car a shock.
The reasons are various and it is due to a combination of dry atmosphere, clothes you are wearing, whether you have just walked on a nylon carpet etc.

The best way round it that I have found is to place your palm firmly on a metal part of the car (the roof) - it is ok if it is painted. This needs to be a 'deliberate' action with the full palm of the hand, but doesn't need to be a big deal like a slap.

This means that you are discharging to the metalwork over a larger area and you won't feel the shock.
I had a friend who used to charge himself up and then come over to you and discharge to your nose.
He got a shock as well, but it hurt much more on the nose than a finger!

Last edited:
You are building up a charge somewhere……..socks on carpet, polyester Spiderman pants, shell suits……...……you can buy anti-static mats.

OH CRAP YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT :O

Just checked my current work shoes don't have leather soles - they are rubber! Only my old ones do!

Thank you I will get a new pair.

As for the suit mine is half polyester half cotton. Any recommendation where to buy a full cotton one without breaking the bank? And full cotton will reduce zapping right?

All cotton would stop it but before dashing out for a new suit, try your current one with your old shoes first because it may just be the current (sic) shoes.

As Ted points out, you can only (by definition) be electrocuted once! :D

However you could invest in a setup like this:

(Yes this guy's job is real, not made up)

[YOUTUBE]SkFH8lLvKZ0[/YOUTUBE]

I had a friend who used to charge himself up and then come over to you and discharge to your nose.
He got a shock as well, but it hurt much more on the nose than a finger!

Your mate clearly wasn't very bright. We discharged through a finger nail - and never felt a thing. Against an ear lobe - that made them jump!

That's probably how he did it. I never saw him jump!

Can you still get those rubber strips that bolt on and drag on the road?

Preferably with a little white bolt of lightning painted in luminous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom