Getting insurance for additional car and NCD.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tylerdurden

Wife and I have had 2 cars for decades. Pay pitifully low insurance due to each of us having >15y no claims discounts.

anyway, getting a 3rd car and keeping the other 2. Its a high value vehicle.

it hurts to hear that one has to start with a new insurance policy with zero NCD.

any strategies to mitigate this?

is it better to move insurance over from one of the other cars? Or any other ideas?

Wife and I have had 2 cars for decades. Pay pitifully low insurance due to each of us having >15y no claims discounts.

anyway, getting a 3rd car and keeping the other 2. Its a high value vehicle.

it hurts to hear that one has to start with a new insurance policy with zero NCD.

any strategies to mitigate this?

is it better to move insurance over from one of the other cars? Or any other ideas?
Use the NCB on the car which is most expensive, and build up from zero NCB on the least expensive car to insure - this will be the overall least expensive route.

You could also try a multi car policy, some may extend your discount to additional cars but you would need to check with each insurer - you could do quotes online though to get the bets overall deal. Ona multicar policy, the cost of insuring each car matters less than the overall cost of insuring them all.

If it is a high premium vehicle then yes move insurance over. In any event insurer can give you starter NCD on the unprotected car, when my wife took out her first insurance she was given 2 years from Aviva Direct. Added to her age insurance was cheap, paying £25 p/m interest free on 2x vehicles, one of which is a premium V8!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I have a multi-car policy with Hastings Direct. At last renewal, it was £586 for my 2 cars. I don't know if I could cover a 3rd car under this particular policy though....

Multi car policies are still a policy per car..so you just start another policy for a 3rd car...

I have a good multicar deal with LV=. £514 for my wife's SUV and my CLS55. Just renewed after shopping around but couldn't beat it. But I did get £40 off after picking up the phone. 9+yrs NCD on hers and 2 on mine. Oddly it's ccheaper that way round. Also, make sure you don't overstate your mileage on the premium car if it's not your daily.

Also got a good deal with LV , RAV4 with 9 year NCB and SLK55 with 6 years, £223 and £264 respectively , about £250 cheaper than A.Flux renewal quote and £200 cheaper than last year and a Direct Line quote

I now run two cars full time. I rang a broker and they have allowed an allowance for the second car based on the fact I have full NCD on the primary.

So...ring a broker.

Had this problem when swopping the 968 cab for the SLK as the classic insurance on the 968 did not give NCD. Chris Knott Insurance came up trumps though, found Highway Insurance (a subsid of LV, who I'd already called as they have the S204 insurance - and got nowhere!) and they mirrored the S204 NCD for the new policy - which does attract NCD!

Edit - Chris Knott are forum sponsors on t'other side, not this forum - oops!

As above, either swap the NCD from cheapest car, or preferably speak to your insurer. They will often provide 'intro' ncd

Ask wether the insurance company will mirror your no claims bonus on one vehicle to another often referred to as mirrored no claims bonus on a second car.
I run two cars but only one has the full no claims bonus on it whereas the other is mirrored, so in effect both vehicles have full no claims.
There are some restrictions ie. over 21 etc and not all brokers will do it but certainly worth asking.

Aviva mirrored our full NCD on a 3rd car (SLK280) and the first 6ish months to renewal date cost £75!!!
At renewal they issued a full NCD statement which was accepted by other insurers.

Watching in ernest... having the same problem now I have a 3rd car.
I tried to add a car to my multi car policy but it wouldn’t work so I had to call. I asked if they would mirror the NCB on one of the other cars and they said they couldn’t.

They proceeded to quote me, after which they said they had mirrored my NCB. £106 to insure a Group 50 car for 9 months, including £29 admin fee!

Seems reasonable despite the ridiculous admin fee!

Go on a comparison site and put the vehicle in with zero NCD. You'll be surprised how cheap the quotes are. It looks like many companies just give full NCD, whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom