Getting old. Advice Required Please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

My in laws are struggling with age (both in their 70's) and health, Parkinsons and Prostate Cancer. They are fit, healthy and active. They own their own house in Hornchurch, Essex and wish to remain independent as long as they can.

My Mother in Law is about to have ankle surgery that will leave her with mobility issues for some weeks, possibly months. My Father in Law will shortly have Prostate Cancer Surgery. The two operations will overlap.

They need to have a new bathroom installed that will be suit their mobility issues.

Where do they start?
Are they entitled to any financial support/grants?

Don't know specifics, but I'm sure it would depend on their own ability to pay.
First stop must be with local authority benefits department??

Help The Aged would be another good group to ask.

Well Bruce they are entitled to a number of benefits,you should get in touch with the local council,if nothing else they are each others carers and as such are entitled to those benefits,of course the important question is can they get their bathroom converted,I would suspect so,but maybe another route may be best see the council and see if they have any warden controlled flats,these are available to people who have their own homes,but you have to see the local council,on another point it is very important that they get every benefit they are entitled too,as this situation may well end up with one of them in a care home and the fees can be offset against the benefits.

Going to rob zipdip's idea here he pricked a memory cell.

Now this is going back a bit (my Mum and Dad suffered a bit of joint medical grief for a while) but given the circumstances you should get on to the local councils welfare department. They may have a "Welfare Crisis Team" or similar. It will take a bit of time to find the right person - perhaps a visit to the local council offices yourself would elicit the right contact if you cant find them by just googling the local councils web page and looking for a likely department.

Good Luck

CHEERS

My mum in law had hers done last April and with our LA she had to pay £1000 towards it. But, from 1st April last year it became free.

As long as they have no more than £16k each in the bank they should not have to pay.

It is social services you need to speak to.

Apart from the bathroom , you can look at things like access ramps/rails for front and back doors : my mum had these provided free by the council ( she owns her home and likewise has a bit put by ) .

I also put in a stairlift for her ( I bought it used and installed it myself ) but one might have been available via some sort of grant had I thought at the time .

She was provided with a wheelchair and a motorised armchair in her living room ( the kind that assists standing up/sitting down ) , a sort of three wheeled walker thing and a few other items - can't now remember who by as it was years ago .

There are lots of options to look into .

I fit these, not touting as im in the north, PMed you if you want to talk.

Funding is available but means tested from the Accessible homes team at your local authority, its a bit limited and offers you no style choices and limited equipment selections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom