Getting out of Dover on the A20

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
Just spotted that it should be a little less frustrating climbing out of Dover on the A20 this year because HGV's are banned from the offside lane as of 15th March :thumb:

Now, if we can keep the overloaded ciggy-and-booze-carrying vans and cars out of that lane too, life will be more pleasant whenever I return from France :)

It is precisely for this reason that there should be a large calibre cannon attached to the gunsight on the front of the car....

There's a 3 mile stretch of the M42 where HGV's are banned from the outside lane at Peak hours. I noticed this while stuck behind 2 of them elephant racing at 5.15pm...

I think your expectations may not match reality:devil:

The net result will be that you have a 3 mile long queue of HGVs in the inside lane travelling 6 feet apart!!

If it's the bit on the M42 then they'll do what happened many years ago on the M5 when it was just 2 lane. They banned HGVs from the outside lane up the hill from Junction 4 (Lydiate Ash) towards Junction 3 (Quinton). Result was they used the hard shoulder to overtake on instead!!

Just spotted that it should be a little less frustrating climbing out of Dover on the A20 this year because HGV's are banned from the offside lane as of 15th March :thumb:

Now, if we can keep the overloaded ciggy-and-booze-carrying vans and cars out of that lane too, life will be more pleasant whenever I return from France :)

Simple solution - use the Channel Tunnel instead of the ferry, the M20 instead of the M2. Mind you, leaving the shuttle to parking in my driveway is about 25 mins after a booze cruise, so the even simpler answer is move to the Ashford area!

I tend to use the tunnel if I'm in a car, but the ferry if I'm on two wheels. Le Scuttle isn't that pleasant for bikers: last on, last off & nowhere to sit vs first on, first off and an opportunity for a seat in the restaurant on the ferry.

I tend to use the tunnel if I'm in a car, but the ferry if I'm on two wheels.

Where on earth do you shove your cheap booze on the way back when you're on two wheels?? :eek:

On second thoughts, you don't have to answer that.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom