getting quote from a garage, is it usual to be asked for VIN no.?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AbbieCadabra

Car
E350CDI
i'm getting prices for brakes & pads & have been asked for my car VIN no. from one garage - is this usual? i've never been asked for it before.

i'm probably being overly cautious, but thought i'd better ask! ;)

thanks

An MB main dealer should be able to get the VIN just from the registration, but most indies won't have this facility and will usually ask for it.

What bad thing do you think they can do with it?

My guess when pricing the job- they will phone the local MB parts counter / their supplier/factor for parts prices. And the first thing the MB parts guy is going to say of course is --------What's the VIN number on the car? ;)

It's just to make sure they can obtain/quote for the correct spares although normally the reg number will do.

thanks guys! i do love this forum :)

i had something floating about in my brain 'can't you clone a vehicle from the VIN?', as i said, overly worried about nothing...we've had issues with credit card fraud recently so i just think i'm in 'high alert' mode at the moment! :D

Last edited:
We ask for it somtimes. It is handy to have.

i had something floating about in my brain 'can't you clone a vehicle from the VIN?'
If they really wanted to do that then there's nothing stopping them from reading it whilst they're working on the car.

It's normal procedure for getting the right parts ordered- no worries.

RH

If your car was registered in a year the model changed, it's much easier to ensure you get the right parts using the VIN. I've got a '92 registered S Class. Garages therefore assume it's a W140 shape, but it's actually a W126. To be honest it's only the first half of the VIN they'll be interested in, as that contains the relevant model info.

thanks guys! i do love this forum :)

i had something floating about in my brain 'can't you clone a vehicle from the VIN?', as i said, overly worried about nothing...we've had issues with credit card fraud recently so i just think i'm in 'high alert' mode at the moment! :D

Most cars have their VIN's on display in windscreens etc so not really a security thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom