Getting rid of horrid silicon from interior trim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

QuattroRS6

Car
GLS350d V6 AMG Line G-Tronic
Recently picked up my GLS350d but the interior was liberally dressed with the most horrid silicon that left all plastics and trims darker and shiny as well as leaving a layer of residue thats left the surface very smooth...and i hate it.
What's the best product to use to first, get rid of all the crap, and then to get the finish back to original matt like look and feel?

Thanks

Just leave it alone and it will soon fade.
That my friend is never an option ;)

I'll try soap and then move onto an all purpose after if needed.

Which product is best to bring back the original (or as close to it) matt look dash and seats, and protect them?

Thanks.

That my friend is never an option ;)

I'll try soap and then move onto an all purpose after if needed.

Which product is best to bring back the original (or as close to it) matt look dash and seats, and protect them?

Thanks.
I would be worried that it will turn to a milky mess if you start to mess with it. Soap Water and Silicone will not get on with each other.

So would an APC such as Gtechniq I2 Tri-Clean be a better option or as Andy suggested?
Do nothing is still not an option ;)

I would go with APC or detergent. It’s likely to shift it. Isopropyl alcohol would be the final resort If that failed.

A bucket of hot water and a microfibre cloth to begin with, rinse out and keep going over to take the worst of it off. You might find that after a good wipe down you will have the finish you desire before resorting to any other chemicals or dressings etc :)

Reactions: AW8
Tried various interior products over the years , did the Porker tonight (at work) with this stuff which seemed to bring it up a treat.

K

Core is a good interior Detailer, and Is Carpro pearl

But make sure you get the old dressing off first
APC will shift it without a problem Koche Chemi Greenstar, or Bilt hamber and dilute accordingly not used Tri clean so can't comment on that.

As everyone has mentioned, APC will likely get into the dressing and help remove it. Might take some elbow grease but a few passes and it should look better.

I've recently started using Chemical Guys Inner Clean. Leaves a nice matt finish as you'd want and is fine on things like stereo screens etc.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m also hearing good things about Gtechniq. Anyone used their products?

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m also hearing good things about Gtechniq. Anyone used their products?
Great products but very expensive for what they are. The industry has since caught up. But trust me don't waste a pile of expensive stuff initially use some good soap / squeezy and a Microfibre cloth. If it's really bad I have used my pink degrease but if it's a leather dash don't. Use lux flakes after. It will remove 99% of the crap. I then use window lean across the interior and get compliments constantly how I keen piano black plastic immaculate. Go on try it. If it doest work then through 50 quids worth of stuff at it.

Can't really comment on any G Technique products, the Citrus APC I tried want really upto much so haven't tried any products since.. if you have Tri clean then it should be ok, but I wouldn't by it personally. Any good APC will work, then wipe down with a damp cloth after to remove any film left over.

interior dressing is can be finicky to use, if you get it wrong, but most quality ones will be easy to use and have UV protection against fading. Glass cleaners will remove grease as they are IPA based and clean well. But won't offer any protection against fading

There are various products out there now as the market is flooded with them and out of all the products I have used the following are my favourite

AENSO Core. Satin finish leaves no residue
ANGELWAX Angel. Leaves a matt finish with no residue
CARPRO PEARL diluted 5/1, will give a dark satin finish and won't leave water markings if you get caught with the window down in the rain, and it's also a great product diluted at different ratios for all rubber, plastics and vinyl engine bays and tyres.

Great information chaps. I’ll try soap and water first and see how I get on. I’ll pick up an APC for round 2 and see how I get on.
Thanks.

Silicone products are diabolical to remove. They will largely repel soap and water, though as someone else has suggested you may end up with a milky white mess.. There seem to be a lot of suggestions for products to use to give you a nice finish - but first you have to remove the silicon based crap that is already on there. You can buy silicon solvents from hardware stores. Or as someone else suggested Isopropyl Alcohol will break it down to a point where you can clean it off with soap and water. Make sure the inside of the car is well ventilated! Vinegar and WD40 are also know to be silicon solvents. However I wouldn't recommend using any of those on leather as you may find they affect the dye of the hide itself. I'd only use on vinyl or plastics and obvs test in a small unobtrusive area first.

Silicone products are diabolical to remove. They will largely repel soap and water, though as someone else has suggested you may end up with a milky white mess.. There seem to be a lot of suggestions for products to use to give you a nice finish - but first you have to remove the silicon based crap that is already on there. You can buy silicon solvents from hardware stores. Or as someone else suggested Isopropyl Alcohol will break it down to a point where you can clean it off with soap and water. Make sure the inside of the car is well ventilated! Vinegar and WD40 are also know to be silicon solvents. However I wouldn't recommend using any of those on leather as you may find they affect the dye of the hide itself. I'd only use on vinyl or plastics and obvs test in a small unobtrusive area first.
Thanks for the heads up!

You're right. The first challenge is getting rid of the mess!
This is slightly more challenging than I thought. Glad I've not ordered any products yet.
I don't want to use any solvent that may be harsh on the plastics, leaving marks or stains, but it seems options are limited.
I'm debating if I should add this job to the detailers list (booked in for 12th) but it's an expensive add-on (1.5 days estimated).
Do you think soap and hot water attempts are futile..? I'll try one door card and see if it works.

You might be surprised at how much comes off with just a damp microfibre cloth to begin with.

Cost - £0.00
Risk- none
Effort - very little ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom