Getting started

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PXW

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model 3 AWD Performance; MG ZS EV
PXW Junior is 17 at Christmas and has spent the last few years saving hard for his first car (and insurance...which will be in his name, but with one of us as a named driver.). He's spent the last 6-8 months assiduously researching suitable first vehicles for reliability, running costs, insurance etc. After all that work he wants to be able to put the L plates on on his birthday and get this driving thing started!

So - thinking through logistics, what's the best way to make this happen? He could buy a car anytime now, I guess, but presumably he won't be able to insure it until he is 17, even as a learner? He could buy it and SORN it for a few weeks but that sounds like a lot of hassle - and it probably is better for the car if either myself or Mrs PXW take it out from time to time - cars are never good just left standing. If it is taxed and kept on our drive I guess we could still drive it under the 'drive other cars' clause on our own insurances, but I seem to recall that that cover is only valid if the vehicle is otherwise correctly insured anyway? I guess we could do the multicar insurance thing but both of our (single car) policies are part way through and don't renew for quite a while.

Just looking for a bit of wisdom/experience from the collective - how have others managed this?

My suggestion would be to contact your insures and see if they will add another car. (We did this with my others half car recently), but of course, you can only do this if your insurer has multicar polcies....give them a ring and see.

Then I would insure it, with your son as a learner driver, until he passes the test, then whip your name off it and leave it to him to gain no claims etc.

he is going to have to start somewhere, but I guess that would be the logical step.

Mind you, I don't know. I am just making a suggestion. There might be far more sensible ideas coming shortly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom