Getting up close to Nick Mason's cars for a few quid.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Petrol Pete

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon

It's all very low key and genteel but we all know Nick drives his cars both on track and road and has no qualms leaving a bunch of them parked on his lawn for us to drool over , no velvet ropes or security guards in sight.

Want a mate of family member to take a photo of you leaning against a £45 million Ferrari GTO or a La Ferrari in some ex drummers garden ? Go right ahead . Mr Mason has an eclectic collection (no MB's last time I was there) but it's a quiet day out for not much money for a good cause.

My tip ? go early , the (paved) lane to Nick's house is tight and you park in a field but no need for a 4x4 . enjoy, Saturday is the best day IMHO.

Yes, these low key open days can be great fun and very relaxed.
I don't know Nick Mason, but I did engineer his Pink Floyd manager, Steve O'Rourke, winning 1998 British GT championship with a Mclaren GTR and professional race driver Tim Sugden....

EMKA-McLaren-Spa-1998.jpg

A few days ago I drove almost a mile to an open day at Tacolneston Hall. No special cars here, apart from my own on 'pole' outside the hall.
However, this is the home of former Bentley boy of the 20's and 30's Sir Henry 'Tim' Birkin.

IMG_1037.JPG
The current Hall owner recounted tales of blower Bentleys and late night parties with girls throwing china from the roof for clay pigeon shooting practice.....
My connection to the place is that I was project manager for Bentley's Le Mans campaign early this century, with cars built here in Norfolk.
You can see 600' of telecoms mast in the background.
It's one of those places where the weddings are only average, but the reception's fantastic......

On it like a bonnet. Many thanks !

Might even have a new car to take there by then.....

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.evbuc.com%2Fimages%2F129343023%2F516232011549%2F1%2Foriginal.20210317-102238

Yes, these low key open days can be great fun and very relaxed.
I don't know Nick Mason, but I did engineer his Pink Floyd manager, Steve O'Rourke, winning 1998 British GT championship with a Mclaren GTR and professional race driver Tim Sugden....

View attachment 114761

A few days ago I drove almost a mile to an open day at Tacolneston Hall. No special cars here, apart from my own on 'pole' outside the hall.
However, this is the home of former Bentley boy of the 20's and 30's Sir Henry 'Tim' Birkin.

View attachment 114762
The current Hall owner recounted tales of blower Bentleys and late night parties with girls throwing china from the roof for clay pigeon shooting practice.....
My connection to the place is that I was project manager for Bentley's Le Mans campaign early this century, with cars built here in Norfolk.
You can see 600' of telecoms mast in the background.
It's one of those places where the weddings are only average, but the reception's fantastic......
Cool story. What the butler saw springs to mind with those wonderful manor/country houses.

I found this link to the old Rowan Atkinson film 'Full Throttle'

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The quality is rubbish, but it does give a flavour (and even a few facts!) about the Bentley Boys of old. I'd never seen it before.
Cool story. What the butler saw springs to mind with those wonderful manor/country houses.

Even the plate throwing episode is re-created, even if it isn't at the real Tacolneston Hall.....
It certainly confirms the old motorsport adage is that to only way to make a small fortune in racing, is to start with a large one.

Last edited:

It's all very low key and genteel but we all know Nick drives his cars both on track and road and has no qualms leaving a bunch of them parked on his lawn for us to drool over , no velvet ropes or security guards in sight.

Want a mate of family member to take a photo of you leaning against a £45 million Ferrari GTO or a La Ferrari in some ex drummers garden ? Go right ahead . Mr Mason has an eclectic collection (no MB's last time I was there) but it's a quiet day out for not much money for a good cause.

My tip ? go early , the (paved) lane to Nick's house is tight and you park in a field but no need for a 4x4 . enjoy, Saturday is the best day IMHO.
I notice the gardens are open Sunday as well and as I can't make Saturday wondered if there is any particular reason that Saturday is the best day?

Why ?

Put it this way: it's useful to have a country place.

Just somewhere to keep a few chickens

IMG_4592.jpeg

About to set off to this 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom