Getting wheels chromed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smillion

Car
CLS350 CDI sport
Has anyone any experience in getting alloy wheels chromed? We have a new Mini Cooper and want the minilite look wheels chromed?

If you don't like chromed wheels please don't let me know :D

Smillion

Chromed Wheels? Matter of personal choice. Other of course than some bling-bling chrome spinner horrors whose owners should, along with their wheels, be turned into something more useful.:D

But road salt dislikes all Chromed Wheels. Be prepared.

No one in UK does proper triple plate chrome, I ship mine to the US, have trade contact in California I use.

The chrome in this country is under EU regulation and is not as good quality as in the US (long story), toxicity content or something.

You should never run chrome wheels in the salt, and avoid doing so in the wet.

There are many options for "chrome":-
1.) SLC - super lacquert chrom, i.e. chrome paint developed in Germany, quite a realistic chrome finish, lots easier to look after.
2.) double plate chrome - mirror polish, nickel plate, chrome plate
3.) triple plate chrome - mirror polish, copper plate, nickel plate, chrome plate.

For anyone in the UK, I always recommend going for mirror polish and annodise, this way you get a finish brighter than diamond cut and lacquered, and so resilient that it never peels/flakes off like the lacquer

We only do this for new wheels though, see examples on our site http://www.vipstyle.co.uk
I've run a set of mirror polished and annodised rims through 3 winters and they have stood up fine, few chips from stones, but no hazing, no cracking, no corrosion like you get with lacquered finish.

You star! Thats exactly what I needed to know. The car was brand new on Friday and so I will be making contact.

I did try a couple of Chromium platers in London through yell.com but they said they couldn't do it.

Thanks again :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom