Ghosts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think so-called mediums are charlatans that prey on vulnerable people, and quite often seem to make themselves a small fortune in the process.

Absolutely. Any doubters need only read Derren Brown to see how they operate. And they are sick. But the world is full of the grieving gullible.

All in your heads I'm afraid. Mediums have also been debunked and I personally rate them on the same level of peado's

Why have we never seen ghosts of dogs, cats, elephants and blue whales ??

I remember my mother being completely miffed, in her own hindsight, by her experience with the 'medium' I referred to before, and none the worse for it mentally or financially. There was nothing about my mother that this person cold have known, and apparently to many accuracies mentioned, without confirmation by my mother, to be co-incidental.

On the other hand, I do remember a crowd of crooks who preyed on tourists in a seaside town where I used to work, purporting to be clairvoyants. They also owned a cheap and nasty jewellers round the corner. A vulnerable client would have his/her recent run of bad luck/health/misfortune blamed on a particular piece of jewellery/gold/w.h.y that they happened to be wearing. Derisory offers to buy these cursed pieces were often accepted to prevent the bad luck being perpetuated elsewhere.

I saw a brilliant sign outside a clairvoyant's premises the other day (not really), which read "Voted clairvoyant of the year, 2013"!!

Last edited:
Do people really "see" ghosts--- undoubtedly. Do ghosts physically exist--- no. People tend to equate what you see with a finite "image" as if the vision process was just a camera. No--- its what your brain tells you a series of nervous signals from the retina it's processed means in the context of other previous experience. So "vision" is a combination of camera [the eye] a USB cable [ the optic nerve] and a computer [ the brain] What this means of course is that lots of other "signals" can hack into your computer and produce false images- which your eye has never sent. To the person experiencing this the images are real they just don't originate in the eye they originate in the brain.
A good example of this are the hallucinations produced by drugs, by hypnotic suggestion or the delirium of high temperature. If you have ever witnessed this you are left in no doubt as to the veracity of what the people are experiencing. They are not making it up ---to them the "visions " are completely real. One explanation for ghosts is that nature "abhors a vacuum"--- the brain is under load all the time processing incoming information --- what it doesn't like is having nothing to do--- to the extent that if it is deprived of input it starts to make things up to keep itself occupied- it can't help it. People who "see" ghosts are often alone in quiet surroundings --- not a lot of incoming data- so the brain gives itself something to think about and produces an image to "process" and thinks aha that's better I was getting bored there for a moment. ;)

You rate mediums on the same level as paedophiles? Something disturbingly wrong with that assessment I think

Moonloops is our resident shock-jock, but I think what he was getting at is that both prey on the vulnerable - and both practices are despicable.

EDIT: Just remembered that I experienced some post-sleep paralysis

I've had this once or twice. Convinced that there was someone moving about in the house, but couldn't budge myself to get up and investigate no matter how hard I tried. Very odd feeling indeed (but not down to a mischievous ghost sitting on me while his mate checked out the other rooms...).

Do people really "see" ghosts--- undoubtedly. Do ghosts physically exist--- no. People tend to equate what you see with a finite "image" as if the vision process was just a camera. No--- its what your brain tells you a series of nervous signals from the retina it's processed means in the context of other previous experience. So "vision" is a combination of camera [the eye] a USB cable [ the optic nerve] and a computer [ the brain] What this means of course is that lots of other "signals" can hack into your computer and produce false images- which your eye has never sent. To the person experiencing this the images are real they just don't originate in the eye they originate in the brain.
A good example of this are the hallucinations produced by drugs, by hypnotic suggestion or the delirium of high temperature. If you have ever witnessed this you are left in no doubt as to the veracity of what the people are experiencing. They are not making it up ---to them the "visions " are completely real. One explanation for ghosts is that nature "abhors a vacuum"--- the brain is under load all the time processing incoming information --- what it doesn't like is having nothing to do--- to the extent that if it is deprived of input it starts to make things up to keep itself occupied- it can't help it. People who "see" ghosts are often alone in quiet surroundings --- not a lot of incoming data- so the brain gives itself something to think about and produces an image to "process" and thinks aha that's better I was getting bored there for a moment. ;)

Yes, and there's also seeing ghosts. They aren't mutually exclusive.
In my case, I wasn't filling in a void or anything like it. My mind was fully engaged (yours would have been too if you had seen her!) and I had no prior knowledge of the place having a presence. And definitely not hallucinating. It was there - and didn't give a damned about my state of mind. merely vanished when I spotted it/him.

EDIT: Just remembered that I experienced some post-sleep paralysis that was utterly terrifying a couple of years ago, the general feeling of unease and dread as if a "presence" was pinning me down still chills me when I think about it.

"Old hagg syndrome" ive had that before, normally after 2x heavy nights out and then on the 3rd night when im overly tired, its meant to last less than a second but feels like an age.

So if there are such things as ghosts why have the three loveliest people who have died in my life (my Mum, Dad and eldest brother) not been back to see me or been seen by me. That just does not stack up. They would have been back for sure.

I firmly believe in life after after death. But only that thoughts of you live on in other people.

I picked up my sister in law from a Derek Ocorah session. I caught a glimpse of a banner across the stage which went something like. "We cannot make non believers believe"
I think basically it was asking folks to shut up and no heckling if you don't believe. Let Mr Ocorah have an easy session was the message.

Having said that our dog used to pick up "something" in our current house. She used to ***** her ears up and "watch" something move from the kitchen into the hall.

Mr Ocorah and the like are not for me nor what they try and do. That sends a shudder down my spine more than the thought of ghosts. But each to their own.

Can someone post that episode of Phoenix Nights where they have a clairvoyant/medium as the turn, it's a classic.

My then 3 year old niece fell into a canal lock sometime early last year. My brother had turned his back and she had rolled into the lock on her trike. He turned around saw she was missing and thought he'd heard a splash. But he couldn't see her, but instinctively jumped in, and found her.

Although wet and cold the child was fine and not upset. When asked about it later, she said Grand da Billy had held her up.

Billy died in 1999, the year before my brother got married...still sends a shiver down my spine.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

My stepmother is a medium and faith healer as well as being a priest.

She also studied psychology and is without doubt the most clever, articulate, calculating and observent person I've ever met. These talents when linked together and targetted in a particular way mean that many think she is blessed with a gift and she makes a handsome living out of doing the circuits as a medium.

She is however not religious or has faith or any genuine skills as a medium or healer. But if you had a session with her you would be convinced that she was.

She says that if it makes people feel better then her influence is positive whether or not it is genuine.

Last edited:
She says that if it makes people feel better then her influence is positive whether or not it is genuine.

This is a well-worn defence, and it has to be said that there is some merit in it. However, the way these people operate still leaves a nasty taste in my mouth (nothing personal, of course), and I'd much rather see them using their gifts, such as they are, altruistically.

I had a ghostly experience when I was a young boy.

I grew up in a small semi in a small Village in Lincolnshire. My bedroom, on the top floor, looked over the back of the house and onto fields; there were a few houses but no trees to spoil the view. I remember distinctly the events of one particular night.
I awoke in the early hours and sat up in bed. As I never used to close the curtains of my bedroom I could see and hear rain hitting the window. I remember sitting there for a while watching and listing to the rain. The rain was getting heavier and harder and then I saw a flash, lighting, and as soon as this struck I saw looking back at me a man, his torso and head was perfectly framed by the sash window. He looked quiet dishevelled as his clothes were nothing like I had seen before, almost rags. I must have only looked at him for less than a second before I dove under the sheets. I was absolutely terrified, I remember shaking, I could still hear the rain but it had slowed and after a while I fell asleep. I told my mother the next day what had happened but she said it must have been a dream, I’m sure it wasn’t.

just remembered that I experienced some post-sleep paralysis that was utterly terrifying a couple of years ago, the general feeling of unease and dread as if a "presence" was pinning me down still chills me when I think about it.

Common medical problem. Serious cases closely linked to epilepsy and autism

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom