Girl, 15, killed by bus 'was looking down at her phone'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Girl, 15, killed by bus 'was looking down at her phone'

Sad for her loved ones and a harsh lesson to learn from a mistake albeit a silly one.

But it's not the first example. I've seen plenty of examples of someone on their phone not concentrating and, for example, pushing a pram ahead of them out on to a road without looking etc.

But what I really don't understand here is how the bus driver was able to drive the bus when:

"Driver Michael John Parker had no valid licence or insurance and only had a provisional driving licence."

Bus company has some explaining to do ...

cg557b86c1c1c8c.jpg

It beggers belief
Appalling for the parents, but;

Are the H&S police going to demand traffic lights, set in the pavement a la The Netherlands do you think, this in order to save the careless from themselves?

Railings along the edge of the pavement, except at controlled crossing point , would be an effective measure

Pedestrian attention to the road is really poor. Seems to be a bad habit of jumping into the road no matter what because the expectations are the driver well be forced to stop. I often joke that pedestrians in Central London would jump into the road the minute they see a car. And I am sure someone will say I am just a thoughtless driver with anger issues bluh bluh but the truth is I walk for miles with my dog every day.

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

who's paying for that?
The council - the local high school my son will go to after summer was just constructed last year , and this included railing off the footpath for the mile or so up to the adjacent village .

The council - the local high school my son will go to after summer was just constructed last year , and this included railing off the footpath for the mile or so up to the adjacent village .
And the council get their funding from a money tree?

Sad news and as much as it could be down to the child, the bus driver/company will get dragged over the coals (and rightly so) for their incompetence.

See it too often, people walking down the street, through supermarkets etc with their faces buried in their phones.

Reactions: 219
Police, said CCTV footage taken shortly before the tragedy showed a female matching Sian’s description “walking through the school grounds wearing a scarf around her head and looking down at her mobile phone”.

I'm afraid that's a description of 99% of kids on the way home from school. If it's like our school, they have been deprived of the use of their phone all day, then as soon as the bell goes, staring into a phone becomes pretty much universal. I will ask next week if this example can be discussed at assembly.

Kids aside, careless pedestrians should be prosecuted for jaywalking as they do or used to do in Germany. People have to take responsibility for their own safety and caution needs to be an expectation and not just for drivers.

Darwinian theory in action. Such a waste of life after an unthinking act.

Reactions: 219

I work in highways at the council and at £80/m it is not feasible - the budgets are not there.
1609x80(i'd get it done cheaper for so much so £75/m) no authority has £120k to spend on just one side of one road.

What about the other 1009000m(1010km network length in my borough) x 2 footways?

Once again it seems, death brought about by two errors of judgement. I can’t help wondering how many pedestrians (not just kids) are plain lucky every day when they cross the road without looking. And it’s not limited to those morons who can’t take their faces out of their phones. Only yesterday I glanced out of my window to see someone shooting along the pavement on a skateboard and not give a hint of a glance to check the road was clear when crossing a junction. The even worse part was that they were carrying a small child!

This is the parents responsibility to educate their kids in how to be safe - they probably provided the phone and bought the headphones for a birthday present. Bet neither came with some sensible advice on how and when to use them in order to stay alive.

I work in highways at the council and at £80/m it is not feasible - the budgets are not there.
1609x80(i'd get it done cheaper for so much so £75/m) no authority has £120k to spend on just one side of one road.

What about the other 1009000m(1010km network length in my borough) x 2 footways?

Well , somebody paid for it , since it is there .

Old people without phones are no better.

A new shop has opened in our village, cars need to cross the pavement to enter the underground car park, the pavement is clearly marked for pedestrians to check before proceeding as is the exit from the car park for motorists.

Every single time I have used the car park there is at least one old grunter just standing in the way gawping in wonderment at the sight of it all or gathering in the most inconvenient spot for drivers.

The reason I bought a dashcam for the taxi initially wasn't because of the worry of accidents but because too many pedestrians step out into the road then make it you're at fault for being there! It's especially worse at night once alcohol had been consumed (pedestrians, not me before it's mentioned :D )

Old people without phones are no better.

A new shop has opened in our village, cars need to cross the pavement to enter the underground car park, the pavement is clearly marked for pedestrians to check before proceeding as is the exit from the car park for motorists.

Every single time I have used the car park there is at least one old grunter just standing in the way gawping in wonderment at the sight of it all or gathering in the most inconvenient spot for drivers.
That is little different to women with prams who gather and block pavements , or with shopping trolleys who block aisles in supermarkets , while they gossip .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom