Give a C63 a run for it's money part 2!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice video but why choose a bike with such a low top speed in a top speed run?

That makes sense because motorcycles have terrible drag coefficients.

It looks like they picked the Duke to compare the result to the drag strip timings

In any scientific experiment one has to keep all but one thing constant, otherwise the experiment is invalid.

Even drag bikes slow up at speed compared to the cars.

There's cars, fast cars and then there's motorcycles :thumb:.

If you've never experienced a superbike, it's kinda hard to explain how incredibly fast they are.

Power to weight ratio is everything.

If you've never experienced a superbike, it's kinda hard to explain how incredibly fast they are.

Do you mean quick as opposed to fast? Fast being relative in this context.

Nice video but why choose a bike with such a low top speed in a top speed run?

I thought the same when this video came out but there are also faster cars out there...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MBClub UK

Do you mean quick as opposed to fast? Fast being relative in this context.

Call it what you will, it's intoxicating.

Like a Suzuki GSXR1000 0 to 100mph 5.4 secs.

And very accessible - £5K or less buys you silly performance.

Mind you, you do get wet and probably die sooner :cool:.

Last edited:
Most cars fail the performance test when compared to motorcycles. It's just a fact of life. They could have used a Hayabusa or ZZR1400 instead and the Porker wouldn't have ever got near it, let alone overtake.

I've owned a 964 Turbo and a 996 Turbo however quick as they may have been bikes are simply in a different league.

A GT2 remains on my to do list for the future but not whilst I have three young (as in all under 5) children.

Ian Donkin said:
I've owned a 964 Turbo and a 996 Turbo however quick as they may have been bikes are simply in a different league.

A GT2 remains on my to do list for the future but not whilst I have three young (as in all under 5) children.

But the school run would be great!!!

It's apples and pears and oranges with these "runs". I don't think they are aimed at people who understand the depths of cars, bikes, drag, power to weight ratio, etc

The point of this test was to see if the Porker could play catch up in the acceleration stakes at ton plus speeds as Chris states in the video at the start.

Conclusion was it couldn't, and duly (and predictably) got trounced.

Top speed was not on the agenda so the fact the Porker eventually got past at 202mph is totally irrelevant as outside of the 2 mile test track it aint gonna happen in the real world.

A Bussa or ZZR1400 would not have been quicker as they have less power and are far heavier, things have moved on recently in the Bike world with the Ducati, Aprillia and BMW S1000RR being the Top Dogs at the mo.

I used to run a Honda Fireblade which until the BMW launched a few years ago was Top Dog, give or take for over 15 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CJ72S5VPQ8

Prefer Cars now in me old age! :eek:

Last edited:
A Bussa or ZZR1400 would not have been quicker as they have less power and are far heavier, things have moved on recently in the Bike world with the Ducati, Aprillia and BMW S1000RR being the Top Dogs at the mo.

That's strange, as our 200mph.org club that have been holding top speed events at Woodbridge and Elvington between '99 and '10 have seen standard Hayabusas, ZX12s and 1400s tripping the Tag Heuer timing lights at 195mph just over a mile from a standing start. Mild mods ('haust PCIII) means 200mph +. Plus, the 180 and 202 on speedo of the Duc and Porker equals only 165 and 180 in actual speed.

Sports bike don't get near as aeros are far more important than weight when it comes to top speed. The Duc is probably the worse sportsbike to choose for a top speed run.

Yep, drag plays a big part in it.
Even now the blackbird is a very quick bike at 150mph+ speeds despite it obviously having a lot less power than some of these sportsbikes.
When it was released the aerodynamics were almost revolutionary.

The 1199 has a much better power to weight ratio than a Veyron, yet was struggling to get over 180mph. Would one of the in-line 4, litre sports bikes do any better? V twins aren't known for their strong top end.

Last edited:
That makes sense because motorcycles have terrible drag coefficients.

You're not wrong.

The porsche probably has a drag coeffiient of something like a 0.3 whereas a bike is generally above 0.5.

Modify the bike's aero's a bit and get it down to around 0.35 and suddenly amazing things happen like Bill Warners 311mph run last year on a modified Hayabusa. :eek:

Article and video below.

The World's Fastest Motorcycle: Bill Warner Sets New Speed Record [Video]

Last edited:
Here's an on board view of what its like doing 311mph on a motorcycle.

Its hard to see where the runway is even.

[YOUTUBE]kV-TzPTtauE[/YOUTUBE]

1:00m in reminds of riding a Raleigh Striker down a steep hill once at 8 or 9 years old - the difference being the Striker decided to call it a day and much blood ensued.

:D

The porsche probably has a drag coeffiient of something like a 0.3 whereas a bike is generally above 0.5.

Modify the bike's aero's a bit and get it down to around 0.35 and suddenly amazing things happen like Bill Warners 311mph run last year on a modified Hayabusa. :eek:

Standard bikes have a cd of about 1.0 but compensate by having a small frontal area.
This is why riding a pushbike at over 25mph is hard work.

But, talk of improving aero efficiency is just boring and for those sad gits without any life...just fit a bigger engine and use more fuel...it shows you you can afford it :rolleyes:

Interesting stats for the Busa.
162 RwHp
99 lb ft torque

If 162 RwHp normally gets it to just short of 200mph, it would need ~810RwHp to get to 310 mph in standard aero trim. Might be a bit dodgy to ride as well.

All of a sudden adding a few bits of corplast and doing some wool tuft testing, seems a whole lot more interesting... ;)

Last edited:
How to drop the drag coefficient from 0.34 to 0.17 cd.

140mph Civic.

BoatRebuild15.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom