Give way when joining dualled/motorways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From a moral perspective, we all have a duty of care to one another on the road.
If I'm on the inside lane of the carriageway and see someone joining, I'll move to the middle lane.
If I can't because that lane is occupied, I'll try to accommodate him before he runs out of sliproad.
What I won't do is ignore his presence and leave it to the decency of the driver behind me to accommodate him at the very last second.
Sadly however, there are some who - either through incompetence or mean-spiritedness - do not share this approach.
I totally agree m'Lord.

The point I've been trying to make is that it's invariably not necessary for the driver on the inside lane to make any adjustments. For instance, let's say you're driving along on the inside lane at 65mph with nothing close in front or behind you, but the next lane is occupied by faster vehicles. As you approach the slip road you see a car on there travelling at about the same speed as you. You can see that it would be unwise to both maintain the same speed. Are you suggesting that you should slow to accommodate the driver entering the motorway? My understanding of ALL driving advice and guidance is that the driver on the slip road should adjust his speed to merge onto the motorway either in front or behind you, thereby causing the least inconvenience to other road users. Do you disagree with this?

I totally agree m'Lord.

The point I've been trying to make is that it's invariably not necessary for the driver on the inside lane to make any adjustments. For instance, let's say you're driving along on the inside lane at 65mph with nothing close in front or behind you, but the next lane is occupied by faster vehicles. As you approach the slip road you see a car on there travelling at about the same speed as you. You can see that it would be unwise to both maintain the same speed. Are you suggesting that you should slow to accommodate the driver entering the motorway? My understanding of ALL driving advice and guidance is that the driver on the slip road should adjust his speed to merge onto the motorway either in front or behind you, thereby causing the least inconvenience to other road users. Do you disagree with this?
If we're at the same speed at the beginning of the slip, he'll have time to adjust his speed and join safely.
If however, he's running out of slip, I'm more than happy to slow to accommodate him.
What does it cost me to do so ?
A few seconds of journey time.
What will it cost him if I don't ?
Perhaps a lot of stress - and all for what ?
So I don't have to 'inconvenience' myself in any way whatsoever ?
If that's what it's gotten down to, I have something fairly basic missing.
Kindness always pays.

Last edited:
I can answer this one as you are both correct, the driver joining the motorway has a duty to safely join that motorway whilst not hindering the progress of others therefore the primary responsibility is down to him to seek his gap and judge his entry speed accordingly. However if for whatever reason he has got it wrong, misjudged it and arrives at the entry point at the same time as you then you have a duty of care to ease off or move into lane 2 (if possible) to allow him safe entry onto the motorway. There's often no rights and wrongs in these situations and it's an area where common sense should prevail :thumb:

Stick to your rights and disregard others' needs if you like - but don't expect to be regarded as a gentleman ... or for that matter, a knight.
Which bit of this didn't you read:
I AM NOT HUNG UP ON PEOPLE MERGING IN FRONT OF ME. Indeed I encourage it where appropriate.
I don't care about "rights", .... So I never think of myself having a right to any particular section of road.
Just to clear up my statement 'I don't care about "rights"', I was meaning to say that I don't consider myself as having any rights on the road because it's not safe to do so. However I do care about other people's "rights" to be on sections of road that are marked for that purpose. Therefore I wouldn't presume to inconvenience any other driver for my own gains by expecting them to make adjustments for me. That doesn't sound too ungentlemanly to me.

However if for whatever reason he has got it wrong, misjudged it and arrives at the entry point at the same time as you then you have a duty of care to ease off or move into lane 2 (if possible) to allow him safe entry onto the motorway.
This is where KnightErrant disagrees. He believes that the joining driver should not be accommodated at this point.
The prosecution rests it case m'lud.

I can answer this one as you are both correct, the driver joining the motorway has a duty to safely join that motorway whilst not hindering the progress of others therefore the primary responsibility is down to him to seek his gap and judge his entry speed accordingly. However if for whatever reason he has got it wrong, misjudged it and arrives at the entry point at the same time as you then you have a duty of care to ease off or move into lane 2 (if possible) to allow him safe entry onto the motorway. There's often no rights and wrongs in these situations and it's an area where common sense should prevail :thumb:
I'd still argue that the driver on the slip road who fails to adjust his speed accordingly is in the wrong. HOWEVER, there's no way I'm going to risk an incident by maintaining the same speed just because "it's my right". It's just another one of those plethora of occasions where we have to make allowances for incompetence and/or idiocy.

I'd still argue that the driver on the slip road who fails to adjust his speed accordingly is in the wrong. HOWEVER, there's no way I'm going to risk an incident by maintaining the same speed just because "it's my right". It's just another one of those plethora of occasions where we have to make allowances for incompetence and/or idiocy.
Et voila!
It behoves us all to remember that we were all novices once upon a time - and that not all drivers have natural ability enough to make them competent drivers.
The road is definitely one place where being a gentleman really can make the difference between life and death.

So...who won?:dk:

Hopefully common sense and give and take won !
I tend to believe that the onus is on the driver on the slip road (the " minor" road) to try to safely slip into the traffic stream in lane one ( the "major" road) . If that isnt easy then traffic in lane one should try to adjust to make space. I for one dont want a collision as I cling on to "my" bit of lane one !
I think where annoyance rises is when the slip road drivers drive fast down the slip undertaking lane one traffic and then markedly slow so they can merge - but thats life !

I think where annoyance rises is when the slip road drivers drive fast down the slip undertaking lane one traffic and then markedly slow so they can merge - but thats life !
Aah! .... so THAT's what this was all about!
Well if joining drivers can nick a few places, then let 'em enjoy them ... but there's no glory in pouting like a bad sport.

Hopefully common sense and give and take won !
I tend to believe that the onus is on the driver on the slip road (the " minor" road) to try to safely slip into the traffic stream in lane one ( the "major" road) . If that isnt easy then traffic in lane one should try to adjust to make space. I for one dont want a collision as I cling on to "my" bit of lane one !
No i think the annoyance level rises when lane 1 traffic joins the slip road to gain a few extra places! or just carry on down the hard shoulder!

Tony.

Aah! .... so THAT's what this was all about!
Well if joining drivers can nick a few places, then let 'em enjoy them ... but there's no glory in pouting like a bad sport.
Is his lordship condoning theft now? ;)

In the meantime shall we have a look at a few inconsistencies in what he's instructing us from his perch on high:

... my point that it's easier for the on-carriageway driver to accommodate joiners than vice-versa still stands.
If we're at the same speed at the beginning of the slip, he'll have time to adjust his speed and join safely.
- but surely that'd be far too difficult for the poor soul?

Those without peripheral or strategic awareness have little idea of the dangers of inappropriate braking.
With the greatest disrespect, it's easier for the vehicle on the carriageway to adjust his speed and let someone in ...
- by braking inappropriately?

I don't mind people not moving into the remaining lane until the cones - as long as they're polite at the cones, rather than pushing in front of me.
Well, I can't hold anyone else responsible for when I choose to join the queue.
Perhaps you're just a frustrated queue-jumper who needs to indulge in a bit of queue-jumping to deal with his frustration ... but don't be surprised if somebody thumps you.
So his lordship says he's happy for others to pass him then filter in front, because he may do it himself, but anyone else who does it is a frustrated queue-jumper and should expect to get thumped!!:confused:

So finally:
It was in the end, perhaps less a question of winning and losing than one of enlightenment.
(ie - he lost).
;)
Oh no he didn't :p
But I'm delighted to hear that you were finally enlightened. :thumb:

PS - all misrepresentations in relation to the above quotes were entirely intentional ;)

Is his lordship condoning theft now? ;)

In the meantime shall we have a look at a few inconsistencies in what he's instructing us from his perch on high:

- but surely that'd be far too difficult for the poor soul?

- by braking inappropriately?

So his lordship says he's happy for others to pass him then filter in front, because he may do it himself, but anyone else who does it is a frustrated queue-jumper and should expect to get thumped!!:confused:

So finally:

Oh no he didn't :p
But I'm delighted to hear that you were finally enlightened. :thumb:

PS - all misrepresentations in relation to the above quotes were entirely intentional ;)

You win...most time on his hands.

I trust you both learnt something. I certainly did (but not related to joining motorways...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom