Give way when joining dualled/motorways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

effbee584

Car
Jag XF 3.0S and 10 yr old Micra 1.2 auto with Air Con.
A few days ago, when moving slowly on the slip road and indicating to feed in to a 70mph dual carriageway, a driver on the inner lane slowed significantly, almost stopped and flashed to let me in - scary. I did pull out after checking that there was no other car behind that one but if this is their habit, well I don't want to behind that driver .......

Have noticed the trend in recent times that many cars joining seem to think those already on the carriageway should adjust speed and position to let them in so they don't have to slow down. I think its the other way round???? but since motorway driving is still not part of the test, how would they know?

A few days ago, when moving slowly on the slip road and indicating to feed in to a 70mph dual carriageway, a driver on the inner lane slowed significantly, almost stopped and flashed to let me in - scary. I did pull out after checking that there was no other car behind that one but if this is their habit, well I don't want to behind that driver .......

Have noticed the trend in recent times that many cars joining seem to think those already on the carriageway should adjust speed and position to let them in so they don't have to slow down. I think its the other way round???? but since motorway driving is still not part of the test, how would they know?

You are right,they are wrong, Highway Code section 223. The arrogant fools are a menace to themselves and everyone else.
They then have the brass neck to get abusive,all part of the modern "don't give a stuff about anyone else because I am so important" mentality. Important and dead!

A few days ago, when moving slowly on the slip road and indicating to feed in to a 70mph dual carriageway, a driver on the inner lane slowed significantly, almost stopped and flashed to let me in - scary.

Genuine question: Why were you "moving slowly" when you were about to join much faster traffic?

Fair question, inside lane traffic was not moving 'fast', there were 6 or 7 in a row, probably doing less than 50, (NFN) I slowed from about 50 to 35 to let them all pass intending to pull out after the last car, but it almost stopped for me.

NFN - Normal for Norfolk.

Fair question, inside lane traffic was not moving 'fast', there were 6 or 7 in a row, probably doing less than 50, (NFN) I slowed from about 50 to 35 to let them all pass intending to pull out after the last car, but it almost stopped for me.

NFN - Normal for Norfolk.

I have noticed that it is usually the last car in a string of cars that will slow to let you turn or merge etc, why dont they look in the mirror and realize that you will be able to manouvre AFTER they have passed. It is not just NFN but seems to be everywhere:doh:

Those without peripheral or strategic awareness have little idea of the dangers of inappropriate braking.
They're the sort of people with lots of hit-from-behind accidents on their insurance histories.
But worse than these are the idiots who don't want to let drivers joining from the slip into a reasonable gap between them and the car in front - and speed up to close it.
Or just as bad, morons who move from the middle to the inside lane where the slip joins the carriageway.

Last edited:
Well technically it is the responsibility of the traffic joining the motorway to adjust and blend.
But any advanced driver will tell you its often a safer plan to move to lane two and allow a stream of traffic to join, of if they look to be incompetent then stay away.
Not much percentage in being in the right when you are buried in the Armco or a passing van.

Maybe the guy at the end thought you had nowhere to go and could not move and so HIS safest option was to let you out?

We are often hasty to judge, but of course it is not possible to begin to understand the limitations or thought processes of the drivers around us.

After many years of high mileage motorway work and a little education, I believe many odd manoeuvers are simply down to lack of knowledge and not dissent.

Last edited:
We don't know for fact that the other driver did not actually check his/her rearview mirror carefully before slowing down.

Said that, I always try and accommodate joining traffic by moving into the middle lane if possible, or by adjusting my speed, but what you described does seem like an inappropriate reaction.

A worse trend is those who after are behind you on the slip want to accelerate right up your nearside and into the "tapering" end of the slip after you merge with lane one.They get abreast and look at you like you are a **** for not making room for them.Happened to me last week with a car transporter.

If nobody gave way when the motorway is very busy you would be sat on the slip road going nowhere. Fair enough it sounds as if that guy had no reason to brake but in many instances the only way you can get on the motorway is if someone does slow to let you on.

While it is the responsibility of the driver joining the motorway/DC to make adjustments , or ultimately stop , and join without inconveniencing traffic on the main carriageway , if I am the one on the main carriageway , I will generally try to make minor adjustments to try to avoid being in conflict with someone trying to join : this might mean easing very slightly off the gas if someone is coming down a slip road just ahead of me , or speeding up slightly if I pick someone up in my mirror trying to come in behind me - there is no hard and fast rule , it is an intuitive thing and I will do whatever seems best at the time .

As with MJ above , if I am cruising along in lane one , and I see a stream of cars coming down a slip , then I will check mirrors and move out into lane two , if clear and safe to do so , to let the joiners come on .

It can very occasionally happen on a busy motorway , that there is little room for movement , with other traffic alongside and being followed closely , where I just have to keep going and leave the joiners to sort themselves out .

I agree that there appears to be an increasing trend by those on the slip roads that traffic on the road that they're entering should give way to them. A couple of times recently I've had abuse hurled at me by drivers when I've been in lane 1 and unable to pull over into lane 2 without inconveniencing others, but failing to adjust my speed so that the car entering from the slip road doesn't have to! Each time the road has been clear in front and behind me so they merely had to adjust THEIR speed to enter safely. But according to them it was all MY fault. :wallbash:

You'll notice I said "unable to pull over into lane 2 without inconveniencing others". Absolutely let vehicles easily enter from a slip by pulling out where it's safe and convenient to do so, but not as a matter of habit. A trend that I've also seen increase over recent years is those drivers who pull over into lane 2 before reaching a slip 'in case someone wants to enter the motorway/DC'. (Perhaps they are also those drivers who plough straight off the slip in expectation that people will make allowances for them.) Just because a car in lane 2 doesn't have to brake heavily to avoid a collision doesn't mean that it's OK to pull out. Where there's a third (overtaking) lane this may also be occupied by even faster cars, so the car in lane 2 has to slow down. Why should he, just so that someone entering from a slip doesn't have to adjust their speed and merge in?

I think that the main problem is a total lack of awareness of everything going on around them by far too many drivers.

If nobody gave way when the motorway is very busy you would be sat on the slip road going nowhere. Fair enough it sounds as if that guy had no reason to brake but in many instances the only way you can get on the motorway is if someone does slow to let you on.
IF, and I know it's a very big IF, all drivers kept apart a safe distance then it would be just about possible to enter one of those spaces from a slip road then let the following traffic make a minor adjustment to reinstate a safe distance. The trouble is that lane 1 is all too often populated by lorries glued together.

When I'm in lane 1, I'll usually adjust my speed very gradually before the joining slip road to ensure there's a larger-than-usual gap in front of me, until I can see if there's anything joining. At that point, I can move within the gap I've created as necessary to allow the incoming traffic to merge smoothly and safely, or if necessary move to lane 2 with a little more flexibility.

I do this so gradually that any traffic following me is unlikely to be aware of it.

slip road is there to get up to speed.

Get up to 70 and work out the gap. You can always slow a bit to make the space.

One of the biggest causes of delays is numpties pulling out in 70mph traffic at 50mph.

If the lorries are passing you, you are going too slow!

rant over.

Surely it's just a matter of driving with a bit of consideration, allowing people to merge and change lanes. Why has driving become so aggressive and confrontational these days. Easing back on the throttle to allow such manouveres is only going to add a second or two to your journey at most!

I do what others on the forum do when approaching roadworks, lane closures etc. I race the car trying to join from the slip road. I ensure that I keep perfectly synchronised with their speed. If they dare to at any point think that I might be letting them into my bit of tarmac, tough their in the bushes.

Easing back on the throttle to allow such manouveres is only going to add a second or two to your journey at most!

Bonkers, isn't it? I can only thing people don't do it as it implies some sort of loss of face if they allow you go in front of them.

I travel down South a couple of times a month and notice a big difference in aggression on the road compared to driving around the North-West.

I agree that there appears to be an increasing trend by those on the slip roads that traffic on the road that they're entering should give way to them. A couple of times recently I've had abuse hurled at me by drivers when I've been in lane 1 and unable to pull over into lane 2 without inconveniencing others, but failing to adjust my speed so that the car entering from the slip road doesn't have to! Each time the road has been clear in front and behind me so they merely had to adjust THEIR speed to enter safely. But according to them it was all MY fault. :wallbash:
With the greatest disrespect, it's easier for the vehicle on the carriageway to adjust his speed and let someone in than it is for the joining driver to watch the car in front of him aswell as the gap he wants in his door mirror.
Drivers on the carriageway only have to look ahead. Drivers on the slip have to look ahead AND in the door mirror.
People need to be really considered and considerate about letting joining drivers on.

I do what others on the forum do when approaching roadworks, lane closures etc. I race the car trying to join from the slip road. I ensure that I keep perfectly synchronised with their speed. If they dare to at any point think that I might be letting them into my bit of tarmac, tough their in the bushes.
Well, you'd better hope those foreign truck drivers always see you there.
Why would you be proud of this, much less boast about it ?
Suggestion : - go to Youtube and type in Russian dash cam accident to see the consequences of attitudes like yours.
/rant over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom