Giving diesels a good run

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanS320

Car
W221 S320
My iPad tried to word this thread as 'giving desires a good run'.. autocorrect ... anyway ...

I normally get a 10 mile motorway run in on workdays but rarely more. Are there any opinions on the best speed/gear/rpm to give diesels a 'good run' for this sort of length of journey and avoid the usual issues? Is it worth occasionally forcing the box down to 5 or 6 to up the rpm?

I had major issues in my early ownership due to soot (?) buildup. The original owner rarely if ever left the inner city. It even caused the gearbox clonk.

Thanks and happy new year to everyone, really enjoy reading this forum.

A 10 mile motorway run is enough to keep the engine and DPF clean.

Sure I read somewhere that MB recommend minimum 7 mile run on cold start up...so as diesel stated 10 is fine:thumb:

Last edited:
For what it's worth... my Kia Diesel owners manual says that to avoid DPF issues the car should be driven for '20 minutes with the engine at 2500 rpm or higher'.

So they seem to be happy with dragging the car in first gear around town... strange.

Interestingly I read on a Kia owner's forum that use of Premium diesel fuels will prevent DPF issues on cars that do only short trips, though I don't quite see how this will work.

I know that Olly recommends a good high-rpm run regularly to keep everything running sweet.

A spirited drive for 15-20 mins in ours usually clears out the DPF cobwebs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom