GL quest.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biscuit

Okay so I think i'm in the market for a GL 420/320

our twins go to school in the autumn and we have neighbours with three who already are at the school. its good because we can share the school run, its bad because our current vehicle VW Toureg cant do more than four kiddies - that's if you were prepared to put one in the passenger seat.

the wife has vetoed an estate (too low to the road) and I personally prefer a 4 x 4 over a people carrier. the paternal instinct doesn't want the kids cramped up in a crumple zone at the back of the car.

Neighbours have a Volvo with the rear seats - so question is should I
1 hold out for a GL,
2 swallow the danger element and pay less for another boot mounted option (ML w family pack, Volvo, x5) - they are after all going to ride in the boot a couple of trips a week with the neighbours anyway.
3 consider a Q7
4 swallow the taste factor and get an Espace.

if we are heading down a recession tunnel and 4x4's are generally bombing then the gap between the trade in for the VW and the second hand GL is closing. but how long do i wait? GL's are at least a third off after 18 months according to the MB website.

One last thing 320 or 420? Is the premium worth it in driving and toys inside.

the MB website is frustrating sometimes. WHY is a 40k car listed as having power steering for example or fog lights?? it just clutters up the features column and i want to see the options like command and leather.

i cant imagine the fuel consumption being very different from the engines you've mentioned since its a very heavy car, and i'm guessing the 420 will provide slightly more smile factor than the 320.

The MB site provides info like that because i think they need to show what comes as standard and then the optional extras.

I'm in need of a 7 seater at the moment and narrowed my search down to the R class and the Q7. I prefer Merc as a brand but I must admit that I find the Q7 a better choice than a GL or an R class and the influencing factor for me is price.

I was offered a fully loaded Q& before Christmas which I decided to buy but was gazumped at the last minute! so I'm back on the look out for either a Q7 or R. Preferably the Q7 with good spec.

How far is the school run, and on what sort of roads? If no fast traffic the risk of major rear-end shunt is probably low (acceptable), and an MPV might be a reasonable option.

i use broadspeed for finding which options are available per model.

just select the model of your choice the list gives you an idea of the total cost too. its a bit manual in the way you find out what they all have, but you get the idea after a while.

I own and ML, but my collegue had a Q7 which we went abroad in on a number of occasions in 2007 and I was impressed by it's long distance comfort.
The GL is close a cousin of the ML and gets the Airmatic suspension in all the versions.
The 320 outsells the 420 4 to 1, and there is a good reason for that unless you really can't do without the very rare time you use the extra grunt.
The head says a year old GL320, but when did we ever buy cars that way?:devil:

i use broadspeed for finding which options are available per model.

just select the model of your choice the list gives you an idea of the total cost too. its a bit manual in the way you find out what they all have, but you get the idea after a while.

sorry as in www.broadspeed.com ?

We're looking at similar vehicles too. Prices are still softening on the GL, although I've noticed that there hasn't been much movement on approved used Rs at the bottom end of the cost bracket.

The Q7 would appear to be the best value though - not got the perceived stigma that the R suffers with, but can be had from a main dealer for around £25k for a basic one.

We've found a GL420 we'd like at a great price. Having viewed it, it does have a nasty scratch which the dealer didn't realise it had - presumably done whilst in their care. I'm waiting for them to call, as I may make a cheeky offer!!

Just seen BTB's question....doh.

Ade

Last edited:
Okay so I think i'm in the market for a GL 420/320

our twins go to school in the autumn and we have neighbours with three who already are at the school. its good because we can share the school run, its bad because our current vehicle VW Toureg cant do more than four kiddies - that's if you were prepared to put one in the passenger seat.

the wife has vetoed an estate (too low to the road) and I personally prefer a 4 x 4 over a people carrier. the paternal instinct doesn't want the kids cramped up in a crumple zone at the back of the car.

Neighbours have a Volvo with the rear seats - so question is should I
1 hold out for a GL,
2 swallow the danger element and pay less for another boot mounted option (ML w family pack, Volvo, x5) - they are after all going to ride in the boot a couple of trips a week with the neighbours anyway.
3 consider a Q7
4 swallow the taste factor and get an Espace.

if we are heading down a recession tunnel and 4x4's are generally bombing then the gap between the trade in for the VW and the second hand GL is closing. but how long do i wait? GL's are at least a third off after 18 months according to the MB website.

One last thing 320 or 420? Is the premium worth it in driving and toys inside.

the MB website is frustrating sometimes. WHY is a 40k car listed as having power steering for example or fog lights?? it just clutters up the features column and i want to see the options like command and leather.

Biscuit,

What do you want to know?

The GL320CDI is a fantastic package and ideal for carrying lots of people, no doubt a decent MPV could do an equally good job, but .....

The space behind the third row of seats is better than most 7 seaters and big enough for a folded down wheelchair. The rear two seats are adult sized and are raised and lowered electrically. It is an enormously, comfortable car, fantastic driving position and an absolute delight to drive. They don't call it the 4x4 S Class for nothing! As far as 320 Vs 420 is concerned, having driven both, the V8 is absolutely awesome - powerful, torquey with enough umph to see of most other normal cars on the road. If you don't need that much power the 320 is equally refined and provides enough performance for just about every use. If you are going to use it for the school run, and economy is a consideration then the 320 would be more suitable, but then again you don't buy a GL for economy - that's why we also have a Mini!

As for options the car is aleady well specced - COMAND, 19" alloys, air suspension, off road pro pack etc all standard. When I ordered my GL from national 'stock' there was no standard GL320, they all had options loaded onto to them and I would be surprised if you would one without any options. The only option mine has not got which I would otherwise have wanted was Xenons (bit mean, if you ask me, that they are not standard).

The only option I 'needed' on my GL was running boards (factory fit ones). This was to give easier access for my disabled son. The car I ordered had the following extras:
- leather upgrade (from Artico) leather is standard on 420.
- Running boards - these are very useful (and it means you don't have to get the stepladders out to wash the roof) and makes the car look more purposeful!
- Memory package - drivers and passenger seats - I could have lived without this.
- Reversing camera - very useful I would recommend it for ease of parking and it complements the standard Parktronic.
- 6CD - OK but I would rather have had the dealer fit IPod connection.
- Easy pack tailgate - v useful. Tailgate opens/closes from key fob or closes just by pushing a button on the tailgate
- Privacy Glass - looks great on the Black GL, is useful for keeping things private - iI had this as dealer fit as part of the deal.
- Telephone pre wire - I haven't used this yet as I am too tight to buy the Bluetooth SAP!

As for colour, Black is the way to go with chrome roof bars, some were black. Avoid Peridot Brown and Silver. 20" alloys are also v nice but I suspect the tyres are v pricey. As far as price goes, mine was £57K list (I paid £40K - no VAT and £8K deposit contribution) and the dealer valued it last week at £34K against another MB - I was just curious. I bought mine on very favourable PCP terms over two years, not sure if they are still doing this. As you have seen, 2nd hand ones are a relative bargain.

All in all I would highly recommend one. If there is anything else you need to know just give me a shout.

How far is the school run, and on what sort of roads? If no fast traffic the risk of major rear-end shunt is probably low (acceptable), and an MPV might be a reasonable option.

its about three miles - twenty mins in London traffic :crazy: the majority at urban speed but a stretch on a dual carriageway ending in a roundabout (- without giving too much away) is the concerning bit.

we could cycle on very quiet roads in the summer months in 12 - 15 mins but until they get good at cycling thats a non-starter. and mid winter that's not working either.

bus gets caught in the same traffic the cars do.

@Peter. do you happen to know if the camera is retro fittable? the wife - the same one who insists on no estate cars doesnt like parking cos of the high elevated driving position.:crazy: I know I know.

most of the options you quote are standard on the 420 are they not? Leather memory etc

@Peter. do you happen to know if the camera is retro fittable? the wife - the same one who insists on no estate cars doesnt like parking cos of the high elevated driving position.:crazy: I know I know.

most of the options you quote are standard on the 420 are they not? Leather memory etc

Yes, about £900 from comand.co.uk. I had a quote recently.:eek:

Not sure if Camera is retrofittable, I would think it an expensive job if it is. You are right about some things being standard on the 420 (leather/memory/xenons) Running boards are no standard. Proper 4x4 users (ie those that take these delicate, expensive machines off road - (that's a joke btw) don't like them as they can impair off road ability). IPod connection is a £180 retrofit job.

Changing your Toureg for anything will cost you far far far more in depreciation than the fuel saved by car-sharing with your neighbours! I think I would tell them you can't share and save the money!

(Unless of course this is just an excuse for changing the car ...)

YEP, thats the one.

using it allows you to find what is an option for comparing models. it also tells you what is standard somewhere on it.

Bit of a faff but solves hours spent trying to navigate idiot build manufacturers websites whi have no idea what you want to find out, so they don't put everything up to give you the chance to do just that.

there appears to be more information on the lower end manufacturers info on web sites, then the premium end types.

I’ve had a GL 420 for about a year now and have done about 15k trouble free miles.

I get about 20 mpg doing short, traffic bound local runs, often from a cold start. If I drive at around 70 on the motorway it’ll return about 27mpg. On a long fast run (not in this country) cruising around 100mph I’ll average about 24mpg.

GL 420 has over the 320:

Driver, Passenger seats, steering column, mirrors elec adjustable with memory,

Heated front seats’

Luxury auto climate control (what ever that is) not just auto climate control,

Wood trim,

Leather.

If you go for a GL make sure you get one which has Xenons fitted, they’re an extra ( except on the 500) and really worth having.

I drove a 320 and a 420 before buying, and there really is, in my opinion, no comparison. Not only is the 420 much quicker the engine is so much smoother and quieter.

The way used car specs are presented on the MB web site is haphazard to say the least. I suspect the people writing the spec have little idea of what is std and what isn’t and / or no interest in doing the job properly. E.g on GLs 19” wheels are std with 20” an option. I’ve seen pictures of cars with 20” wheels with no mention of this in the description.

Reversing camera can be retrofitted, I’ve got a quote somewhere. I’ll dig it out and pass on the info.

my wife went to school across Bandung in one of these :D

thats not her btw..

party_transport.jpg

Wish I had a neighbour like you, or are they making a contribution?

I've got a couple of years before I'm faced with school run... we've only got one so far and he is happily chauffered about in the CE..

FWIW, if you want a GL I'd just get one, there is little justification for one for the school run (aside from speed bumps). ;)

I would imagine the best school run vehicle for fighting the traffic would be a knackered white van/minibus :D People would certainly give you a wide berth at junctions.

Ade

Extras on mine and personal opinions are:

6 CD changer: takes up space in the glovebox but useful,

Easy pack tailgate: a useful addition, but the ‘bonging’ as it opens and closes gets a bit wearing,

Heated / ventilated comfort seats: they’re OK but I wouldn’t pay for them,( bough car second hand so they were just there),

Telephone pre wire: mandatory for me, but depends on your usage,

Xenons: excellent, wouldn’t have a car without them.

Last edited:
I’ve had a GL 420 for about a year now and have done about 15k trouble free miles.

I get about 20 mpg doing short, traffic bound local runs, often from a cold start. If I drive at around 70 on the motorway it’ll return about 27mpg. On a long fast run (not in this country) cruising around 100mph I’ll average about 24mpg.

GL 420 has over the 320:

Driver, Passenger seats, steering column, mirrors elec adjustable with memory,

Heated front seats’

Luxury auto climate control (what ever that is) not just auto climate control,

Wood trim,

Leather.

If you go for a GL make sure you get one which has Xenons fitted, they’re an extra ( except on the 500) and really worth having.

I drove a 320 and a 420 before buying, and there really is, in my opinion, no comparison. Not only is the 420 much quicker the engine is so much smoother and quieter.

The way used car specs are presented on the MB web site is haphazard to say the least. I suspect the people writing the spec have little idea of what is std and what isn’t and / or no interest in doing the job properly. E.g on GLs 19” wheels are std with 20” an option. I’ve seen pictures of cars with 20” wheels with no mention of this in the description.

Reversing camera can be retrofitted, I’ve got a quote somewhere. I’ll dig it out and pass on the info.

I knew there was an option I missed, my 320 has burr walnut trim as well!
Agree re xenons. On a motorway journey I am lucky to get 28mpg from the 320 so used in that way there is little difference with the 420. Around town, where my car is used the most, it gets about 18-19 mpg. Very similar to my previous Discovery 3 TDV6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom