GL third row window seal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flair

Car
Mercedes GL350
Hi All,

I am new to this forum and hope to get some help on my GL class.

I got some leakage on my GL third row window. By the look of it, I believe it was caused by broken seal. There are two different seals I can see. One is the external rubber parts which mount the glass and a plastic strip part on top of the window. There is also a internal seal I can see when I seat in the thrid row. From my inspection, I can see externally there is a gap (2-3mm) between the rubber strip on top of the plastic strip to the main bodywork. So when it rains, the water get inside. The MB dealer in brookland initially told me the whole window need to be replaced along with the seals. But when I got my car back, they told me the external seal gap was not the cause for the leakage. The internal seal was, so they only replace the internal seal. I did a test myself and it seems the leakage stopped, but the water can still get into the gap from the external rubber seal as they didn't do anything to repair the gap between the window gasket to the bodywork. I don't really know where the water goes, but they don't get to go inside. I questioned this to MB brookland and the answer was the external rubber seal won't stop the water goes into the frame. Fixing the gap will improve the looking of the car, but won't seal the water. it should be the internal seal stop the water from out side. Does anyone know if this is true. I check the otherside fo the car and there is no gap at all. I thought the purpose of seal is to stop water goes in. It worries me as the gap is still there from external and water will still get into the window frame. If it's not leaking inside, where the water will go? I know GL has electrical parts all around, I am worried about more damage this way. Any answer is appreciated. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom