GL320 X164 Towbar Electrics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eldomix

Car
ml270 2005
Hi
Im fitting a towbar to my new to me 2007 GL320 X164
would it be ok to use a Universal 13pin Towbar Electrics Kit with a bypass relay ?
The Dedicated wiring kits for the x164 GL seem to be a bit thin on the ground.
Thanks

Hi,

When researching towbars for my S211, I came across a german company called Jaeger Automotive who seem to do plug and play wiring kits for almost all cars. This link - http://www.jaeger-automotive.de/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/Elektrosatz_Katalog_2019.pdf - gets you to their catalogue, which then gives part numbers for each car.

A 13 pin wiring harness & socket for your car is for sale on German eBay - Jaeger Automotive 21040514 vehicle specific 13 PIN ELECTRIC KIT | eBay for roughly £125.

Whilst a bypass relay will likely work perfectly well if the connections are made well, I like the idea of the plug and play harness that will inform the car a trailer is attached, and thus do things like tweak the ESP paramaters, disable rear parking sensors, foglights etc.

Martin.

Hi,

When researching towbars for my S211, I came across a german company called Jaeger Automotive who seem to do plug and play wiring kits for almost all cars. This link - http://www.jaeger-automotive.de/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/Elektrosatz_Katalog_2019.pdf - gets you to their catalogue, which then gives part numbers for each car.

A 13 pin wiring harness & socket for your car is for sale on German eBay - Jaeger Automotive 21040514 vehicle specific 13 PIN ELECTRIC KIT | eBay for roughly £125.

Whilst a bypass relay will likely work perfectly well if the connections are made well, I like the idea of the plug and play harness that will inform the car a trailer is attached, and thus do things like tweak the ESP paramaters, disable rear parking sensors, foglights etc.

Martin.
Its a very good link, definitely. Is it possible to get the English version of it???

Its a very good link, definitely. Is it possible to get the English version of it???

I have not managed to find one unfortunately. The Jaeger site has an English language version (flags at the top of the home page) but the embedded links to product catalogues then break alas.

However, my searching did come across a company selling towbars and the Jaeger wiring kits together, and on their site, you can see hosted versions of Jaeger's wiring harness fitting instructions. For example, this link https://mr-ahk.de/es_eba.php?epid=704 is the instructions for the OP's X164, and includes English.

These instructions seem to suggest that some of the signals required for the trailer lighting are on CAN, and what looks like scotchlocks are included to piggyback onto the twisted pair CAN wires.

I have not bought anything from Jaeger, nor this Mr AHK company (the car I purchased in the end already had a towbar), but I was hugely impressed and persuaded by both companies and their comprehensive catalogue/instructions. I cannot speak any german, but Google translate gets you most of what you need.

Martin.

Hi
Thanks for the replies, i have found a new old stock dedicated 7pin wiring kit on ebay quite cheap so i will use that for now and maybe convert to 13pin in the future

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom