GL350 BlueTEC - Just pulled the trigger...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beancounter

Car
Here:GL350, BMW 335dx Gone: LR D4, BMW 520d, RRSport
First of all, 'Hi' :)

Have been looking to change our Disco 4 recently and have decided upon a GL350. We've had a long line of LR's and RR's in various guises, but with the new Discovery not due to be replaced until 2H16 next year I decided to look at other offerings.
Criteria was that it must be a viable 7 seater option and not an MPV, this discounted the X5 and Q7 for me as the row 3 seats are only good for short journeys or kids under 10.

RRSport was another shout, but I've just not fallen in love with the updated shape. Anyway, the search lead us to a GL. Went and had a couple of test drives and decided that it was the one. Seems to handle well, plenty of pull in the engine, nice ride and a decent amount of space.

Managed to get a cracking deal as MB Group finally started to put some money behind them this month. Anyway, spec below and now the long wait begins as dealer thinks end of Dec/early Jan.

Also run a 6 month old 335dx Touring :)

Spec:
GL350, Cavansite Blue, Grey interior
Lane tracking package
Memory package
Parking package
Rear sun blinds
Larger front sun visors
Heated steering wheel
Electric tow bar
Panoramic roof w/ electric row 3 vent windows
Easy access system (elec folding row 2)
Harman Kardon Logic 7 surround sound system
Keyless go

Will of course post up the obligatory forum pics when it arrives :D

I thought I recognised that username....:D I'm on the RR Sport forum too.

Welcome to the forum. :thumb:

Nice. I am jealous, I'd strangle my own grandmother for one of these.

Nice. I am jealous, I'd strangle my own grandmother for one of these.

I'm looking forward to getting it, really arean't many of these on the roads and even less in the AMG trim as far as I can see.
Oh well, the countdown begins.....:bannana:

welcome, nice car, nice colour, but you may regret the light grey interior if you're going to get it muddy

No, it'll primarily be a family mobile, may take a dog in the back sometime, but will be caged.
I've a fair level of OCD, so keeping it clean will keep me busy. Sat in one with a Black interior and even with a panoramic roof, it felt very dark :dk:, hence the grey.

I hear you, and it's a pity that MB have such limited choices on interiors, would've loved bengal red in the CLS, but not even an expensive Designo option..

Surprisingly the saddle brown and cavansite blue works really well as a contrast, Parvez78 has a CLS with that combination

Yes, I'm a fan of red interiors, I have BMW's Coral Red in my 335d, set against the Mineral Grey I think it looks lovely. As you say, red definitely would have been a contender for us, but no option :dk:

Will check out Parvez78's car in the gallery.

Small update, been told it's off the production line and now making its way across the Atlantic with a possible delivery this side of Christmas.....:rock::bannana:

That said, I know to take the dealers word with a rather large pinch of salt......so I'm not holding my breath.:rolleyes:

Getting Closer......, should land at Killington (Hull) today from Zeebrugge.......there's a vague hint that we may get this at the weekend :bannana:

Good luck, I remember the countdown years ago!!

How did you find your d4?

Nice. Remember the pics please. I sit in one and cry every time I'm at a dealership.

Nice one BC. Post some pics when it arrives :thumb:

I am seriously considering one of these to replace my E class (in ab 2 yrs time). I guess it'll be the GLS by then. Good discounts available on GL's right now due to GLS coming out next year, very tempting :)

Post some pics and your experience of the GL please BC.

Cheers
Pete

Good luck, I remember the countdown years ago!!

How did you find your d4?
I love it, it's a 2010 very well specced HSE and aside from the outside, it's exactly the same as my RRSport I had. Very capable car and bags of space. Just fancied a move away from LR, though had the new Discovery been closer, it may well have kept me in the fold.

Nice. Remember the pics please. I sit in one and cry every time I'm at a dealership.
Yes, camera on charge, so will make sure I get plenty of pics at the dealer and when we get home :thumb:

Nice one BC. Post some pics when it arrives :thumb:
Will do, another fellow RRSport member :cool:

I am seriously considering one of these to replace my E class (in ab 2 yrs time). I guess it'll be the GLS by then. Good discounts available on GL's right now due to GLS coming out next year, very tempting :)

Post some pics and your experience of the GL please BC.

Cheers
Pete
It's what enticed me to be honest, I got 15% off :cool: and although the GLS is here in March, the changes are nothing to write home about, the biggest one being the floating iPad screen in the center console, which to be honest I'm not keen on, the rest are very minor cosmetic changes.

It's been decidedly quiet from the dealer today,so, he's either a) running around trying to get it ready for me, or b) ****ting himself that he has to make a call and tell me it's not going to be this weekend :rolleyes:

Thanks for that. Presume you p/ex'd it?
i do like the D4 as much as I like the GL but Mrs JB still keeps going on about "not wanting a car I have to step up into"
Women...

A little more info....talk about slow progress:rolleyes:, car arrives at the dealers on Tuesday 12th in the morning.....but I'm in SE Asia next week with work, so will arrive back into LHR :wallbash: Saturday morning and then need to get up to York for delivery....:eek:

So, all eyes peeled for the 16th Jan people :bannana:

Thanks for that. Presume you p/ex'd it?
i do like the D4 as much as I like the GL but Mrs JB still keeps going on about "not wanting a car I have to step up into"
Women...

Have been offered a part ex value on the D4, but I think it's fairly average (as is to be expected), so literally just marketed it this week and will put on Auto Trader this weekend so hopefully will throw a little bit more into the coffers, but it's not a great time of year to be offloading c£21k's worth of car :rolleyes:

I actually have a supplier who is after a d4 - so if you want to pm me an advert link I'll pass it on - where are you located?

Many thanks, you have a PM :)
Car is in Yorkshire, but I can bring down south to Essex as I work in London during the week.
Edit: Doh, not enough posts to PM :wallbash: Linky

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom