Gl500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian Topping

Car
CLK 55 AMG
Hi,

Are there any happy GL500 owners out there???
I have a 2006 GL 500 and so far the engine has been stripped due to a camshaft error, brake callipers replaced as seized, secondary blower replaced and now the gearbox needs to be dropped out to replace seals!
Parking sensors are faulty but then I believe this to be an issue across the quality range of Mercedes Benz!

Love to hear if I'm alone and just unlucky or are there others out there with similar fate

Cheers
Ian

I owned a W164 which is a smaller version of your X164 and wasn't impressed with the reliability or the materials used in manufacture, barely a week passed without either a warning light or some other issue rearing its ugly head. Mine had one previous owner to me and had only ever been repaired/services at Mercedes main dealers too.

So no, you're not alone.

Mercedes were going after the range rover crowd who are used to unloading their wallets for fuel and repairs. Shame Mercedes couldn't make the GL anywhere near as comfortable as a RR.

Thanks Lexman for the link. With 4 children I need a 7 seater and I prefer v8. Have you any suggestions as I think the GL500 has to go

Cheers
Ian

Depends on budget but obvious choices would be XC90 or Discovery. Both have been available with a V8.

If you don't like your GL's reliability then avoid a Discovery 3 or 4....IMHO..dreadful.

I can only assume by the silence there are no happy GL owners

I've owned three LR's (one Discovery 3 and two RR Sports) and the only thing that went wrong on all the was the Discovery needed an injector.

In fact, my W164 ML cost me more in six months than the three LR's did in over two years.

Thanks SPX

I am considering the v8 X5 or the XC90. Has anybody heard of problems with these 2 vehicles

Cheers

Mercedes R maybe ?

Ian Topping said:
Thanks SPX I am considering the v8 X5 or the XC90. Has anybody heard of problems with these 2 vehicles Cheers

Avoid the X5; it will certainly get stolen.

If you find a decent R500 with low mileage, I'd be surprised. They are getting hard to come by now.

Ever considered an Audi A8? Or even an S8?

I think I should go for an S8 and an XKR. The wife and kids (4) can travel in the Audi and I can travel in peace with the roof down listening to supercharged v8 :)

I am considering the v8 X5 or the XC90.

As an aside I was reading yesterday that the biggest engine available in the new XC90 is a 2 litre 4-pot. The "T6" gives 320 bhp from that though, and the "T8" adds an electric motor to get 400 bhp equiv.

Thanks SPX

I am considering the v8 X5 or the XC90. Has anybody heard of problems with these 2 vehicles

Cheers

Year dependant, I recall problems on the heads of the BMW V8 and iirc the XC90's cannot have one tyre replaced, all four do at once.

Out Of interest why do you need to change all 4 tyres on a xc90 if one got a nail in it ? ,also have you considered a Toyota amazon huge beast with Japanese build and reliability (and plastic)

"Out Of interest why do you need to change all 4 tyres on a xc90 if one got a nail in it?"

They all have to be exactly the same rolling radius, or it can damage the 4WD system. That's progress for you...

Same issue with a lot of Jeeps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom