Gla 220 d 177 bhp speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

magentalic

Car
clk 270 cdi
Hi all,
Recently purchased a 2016 GLA 220 d amg line 7 speed auto with a reported 177 bhp but it does not feel that quick. Previously i had a c class 220 d 5 speed auto with 170 bhp this felt a lot quicker.I bought from MB main dealer and had a main service before i bought it.Any thoughts anyone ?

But weights a lot more! 😂

I think the Gla 220 has less torque than the C220, 350nm compared with 400nm so slightly different power characteristics.

I can't see how they claim the same bhp when with 4matic there will be extra transmission losses .

You lose 80-100bhp through a 4x4 system

You lose 80-100bhp through a 4x4 system

Surprised my Panda 4x4 with a 50bhp engine ever moved then 😂

The more power the more losses, seen it time and time again on the dyno

The power is quoted at the flywheel, not the wheels, and as noted, power loss is a proportion of total power, not a fixed figure... and power to weight is an important factor too.

I can't see how they claim the same bhp when with 4matic there will be extra transmission losses .
They will be quoting power at the engine, not power at the wheels. Transmission losses don’t affect power at the engine, however they do affect power at the wheels. Result is that the engine produces the same power but less of it reaches the road.

Hi all,
Recently purchased a 2016 GLA 220 d amg line 7 speed auto with a reported 177 bhp but it does not feel that quick. Previously i had a c class 220 d 5 speed auto with 170 bhp this felt a lot quicker.I bought from MB main dealer and had a main service before i bought it.Any thoughts anyone ?
Did it feel the same on the test drive, or when you drove a similar car?

It’s perhaps worth getting the stopwatch out and testing your car’s performance (safely) against manufacturer published information. If you’re within a second of what’s published then I would say your car is OK.

What are the quoted performance stats for the two vehicles in question? (Not just the headline bhp figure which on it’s own is pretty meaningless).

0-60 for the gla is 7.7 seconds claimed.
0-60 c class 8.5.
plus regarding the weight the c220 i had was an estate so heavier than the gla.

0-60 for the gla is 7.7 seconds claimed.
0-60 c class 8.5.
plus regarding the weight the c220 i had was an estate so heavier than the gla.
The responsiveness of the engine to movements of the accelerator pedal can make a big difference. This is controlled electronically these days - slow response for smooth luxury feel, and quick response for aggressive sporty feel - it doesn’t make any meaningful difference to actual performance but makes the world of difference to the way it feels to the driver.

Try to find other acceleration times - unless you’re a pro then even with 4-magic you’ll struggle to match published 0-60 figures, especially in the winter. Time it on a roll, and you’ll be closer to what’s published.

Then the GLA should be quicker to 60. Next is to do some testing, but with something like a Vbox. The seat-of-the-pants dyno is notoriously inaccurate, as far too many factors affect such a subjective test. A taller quieter car is going to feel slower while actually being quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom