GLA - Petrol or Diesel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

REDCAPPER

Car
GLC 250d SPORT, C200 1.5 EQ Boost
I have been looking at SUVs and have decided to get myself another GLA , I have decided that I don't need 4matic as I am intending to retire and wont be going off road or on long journeys. I'm undecided as to go petrol or diesel as I've heard of problems with exhaust particulate filters when diesels are used for mainly short journeys. Anyone else heard of this or should I exclude petrol on the grounds of best mpg with diesel?

People often get caught up worrying about mpg - if you are only doing a ow overall annual mileage then the difference in cost of fuel will be low compared with depreciation. Unless you are buying the diesel car cheaper it probably represents a higher risk in terms of depreciation as there is more sentiment against diesel cars.

I have been looking at SUVs and have decided to get myself another GLA , I have decided that I don't need 4matic as I am intending to retire and wont be going off road or on long journeys. I'm undecided as to go petrol or diesel as I've heard of problems with exhaust particulate filters when diesels are used for mainly short journeys. Anyone else heard of this or should I exclude petrol on the grounds of best mpg with diesel?
We will be looking at petrol car options when/if we change the Mercedes or Golf that we currently have. Even though we’ve had pretty good experience with diesels over the last 20-years, given the introduction of ULEZ and other stuff around diesel like DPF, Adblue, etc.. it’s hard to recommend going diesel now. That said, direct injection petrol-engined cars have particulate filters too these days.

I don't think retiring, going off road or long journeys should be a factor in deciding whether to get 4matic or not. Just think of the luvly weather you folks in Glasgow are getting right now, 4matic might help a lot.
Otherwise petrol, smells better than diesel.

Just think of the luvly weather you folks in Glasgow are getting right now, 4matic might help a lot.
It doesn't.

Firstly you don't get much snow in Glasgow. Secondly on the odd occasions when you do - then if it's bad enough to get benefit from a 4WD or winter tyres then chances are you'll get stuck anyway because of other cars without 4WD or winter tyres.

OTOH if you travel within a 50 to 100 mile radius in winter - particularly northwest - in winter - then winter tyres (and 4WD) are a nice comfort factor.

OTOH if you travel within a 50 to 100 mile radius in winter - particularly northwest - in winter - then winter tyres (and 4WD) are a nice comfort factor.

It doesn't.

Firstly you don't get much snow in Glasgow. Secondly on the odd occasions when you do - then if it's bad enough to get benefit from a 4WD or winter tyres then chances are you'll get stuck anyway because of other cars without 4WD or winter tyres.

...or even East Kilbride with 6 inches snow this past week!

Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom