GLA review AUTO EXPRESS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Mercedes GLA 2014 review | Auto Express

Quote:- the GLA is arguably the car the Mercedes A-Class should have been in the first place. For starters, where the A-Class crashes, bangs and fidgets over bumps,:( the GLA deals with them in a far more civilised, and far more ‘Mercedes’ manner. This is down to the ride height – which is raised by 50mm – plus the fatter tyres, softer suspension and the addition of bushes to the rear subframe.---- simply think of the GLA as a stylish, practical and comfortable premium hatchback. One that feels like a proper Mercedes. :thumb:

Quote:- the GLA is arguably the car the Mercedes A-Class should have been in the first place. For starters, where the A-Class crashes, bangs and fidgets over bumps,:( the GLA deals with them in a far more civilised, and far more ‘Mercedes’ manner. This is down to the ride height – which is raised by 50mm – plus the fatter tyres, softer suspension and the addition of bushes to the rear subframe.---- simply think of the GLA as a stylish, practical and comfortable premium hatchback. One that feels like a proper Mercedes. :thumb:

Don't worry. It will have been a LHD review model for other markets.

Normal service will no doubt be resumed when MB UK decide that they're only importing versions with larger wheels and low profile tyres with the sports suspension as the only option.

:fail:crazy: :doh:

Don't worry. It will have been a LHD review model for other markets.

Normal service will no doubt be resumed when MB UK decide that they're only importing versions with larger wheels and low profile tyres with the sports suspension as the only option.

:fail:crazy: :doh:
I fear there may be an element of truth in what you say. Entry level models have 17" wheels in Germany as opposed to 18" in the UK. Choice of 7 models as opposed to 3 in the UK. Basic model UK choice of wheels = 1 Basic model Germany choice of wheels=13 I suppose we should be glad to be getting it at all in RHD.:p

Mercedes-Benz Deutschland - Konfigurator - Konfigurator Offroader

Last edited:
Mercedes sell a lot more wheels and suspension parts to owners of 'sport' cars. Why would they want to do themselves out of plenty of business in replacement parts?

Don't quite follow----??? The choice of wheels in Germany is an extra cost option of course but can be ordered at build from factory. Its the denial of choice I'm on about. Can't see it costing MB anything. Its just another example of "you can have any colour as long as its silver/black" reductionist thinking that appears to bedevil MB UK currently.
As an example I had a quick look at Nissan's new Quashqai mid range Acenta model configurator from factory -- choice of 9 alloys?:doh:

But they do :

nordlichtviolett metallic
cc44c61c75df500547c222a9b37cbf75bfefd.jpg

and
orientbraun metallic
828d7fe9ce8b8d95991c8f619727b9443760c.jpg

and
universumblau metallic
caacbb4a0efeb371d2f5c2ee9901245f9ada4.jpg

This is encouraging although I notice the UK site doesn't list the last blue one-- choice of 8 colours rather than 11 . ;)

Could it be something to do with how people buy vehicles in different markets?

I would imagine MB UK sell most of their vehicles via lease, and probably don't want to end up with stocks of purple c220s with green leather interiors they can't sell after they are handed back.

In markets where sales are predominatly to private buyers, they don't care what they spec as it's not their problem if it's not saleable on the used market in 3 years time.

Maybe MB UK also have a much healthier margin on after market parts vs factory spec options?

It's quite a contrast to the 80s/90s when nothing was standard fit and everything was an option, and there was a bewildering array of paint choices.

Try speccing a new Porsche online. The list of wierd options is bizarre and confusing. Leather surrounds to the air vents....and then extra again for the wierdest yet, leather trim on the slats of the air vents....

Don't quite follow----??? The choice of wheels in Germany is an extra cost option of course but can be ordered at build from factory. Its the denial of choice I'm on about. Can't see it costing MB anything. Its just another example of "you can have any colour as long as its silver/black" reductionist thinking that appears to bedevil MB UK currently.
As an example I had a quick look at Nissan's new Quashqai mid range Acenta model configurator from factory -- choice of 9 alloys?:doh:

Have a chat with any of the parts guys at a MB dealership, ask them how many wheels they sell these days to replace cracked alloys. It's big business these days.
I'm sure it's not their primary reason for limiting our choice, but the trend towards lower profile tyres and stiff suspension kills wheels and has created business where there wasn't any 10 years ago.

Have a chat with any of the parts guys at a MB dealership, ask them how many wheels they sell these days to replace cracked alloys. It's big business these days.
I'm sure it's not their primary reason for limiting our choice, but the trend towards lower profile tyres and stiff suspension kills wheels and has created business where there wasn't any 10 years ago.

Sorry - the notion they limit us to stuff that breaks to sell more parts in nonsense.

I am a consultant in Automotive Logisitcs including production scheduling.
The reason for the limit is to help keep costs and lead time down. Which means price too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom